Hello from Northern Territory, Australia

HaHa! Bundaberg: home town; also known as "flat city", and home to the (in)famous Bundy Rum.
Yes I drove haul-out on the cane for a couple of years just to try something different and did have a propensity for the end product but that all came to an end many many years ago. Rode from there to the Atherton Tablelands to see a friend at one stage so that was a decent ride over 2 days.

Yes I drove haul-out on the cane for a couple of years just to try something different and did have a propensity for the end product but that all came to an end many many years ago. Rode from there to the Atherton Tablelands to see a friend at one stage so that was a decent ride over 2 days.
Some of the forebears were among the first to settle, Kendalls, Rattrays ...

Welcome to AH! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I normally have quite a bit to say when in person but rarely venture into the world of forums and definitely do not exist on any social media. A bit of a luddite in spirit although I work in finance and with computers all day.

That said like all members, I aspire to live to hunt and not live to work. As I laced up my Courtney Boots to wear with my business pants in the office this morning (just keeping them worn in) it hit me just how much my life is driven by my hunting culture, traditions, way of life (it is definitely not a sport). It touches (however briefly - like the butterfly effect) everything I do or plan to do in my everyday life.

The car I drive, the clothes I buy, the books I read, the websites I visit, the movies I watch, my YouTube addiction, kitchen appliances, freezers, camping gear, footwear - you name it; it is either directly related to, or a purchase for a hunt or something that can help or be added to my hunting kit.

Surely, I cannot be the only one?

There is stuff that is very abstract but the relationship, deep down is there i.e. I purchased several moisture/mould preventative blocks from the hardware store the other day. The wife thought I was being considerate and helping remove the mould from the laundry cupboards and house, but the real reason was to ensure that the guns in the safe were mould free and survive another wet season.

Just the way I live my life and what is important to me and brings me happiness.

I was born and raised in Darwin, spent my youth and younger years chasing pigs, buff, magpie geese anything really and then moved to the big smoke Melbourne, where I continued chasing small game and the mighty Sambar.

Back in Darwin the quantity of hunting has diminished over time, but I am working on increasing the quality, with a camel hunt to happen in the near future plus a move onto better buffalo country when we finally get access.

Like all (most) on here I have a dream of Africa. This was almost realised a few years ago but was put on the backburner after a commercial situation with a former business partner. It will be realised one day soon after I have put my son through Medical School in Melbourne and then my dreams will come alive. Until then I want to try out the 350 grain HD Woodleigh's in my Model 70, 375 H&H on the local buff and see how they go. Hope to write a hunting report on this soon, when it stops raining.

Thanks.
@Michael70 Welcome mate there's a lot of Aussies on this site. You have a top bloke that's very knowledgeable up your way called Anthony George. A really great bloke
The Territory is a nice place but to bloody humid for this southerner. I do have relos up there that love it up there. They moved from Timber Creek to Darwin.
Those 350s should work well on those buff up there. In July I hope to try some 310gn Woodleigh in my Whelen at 2,455fps on scrub bulls up the Cape.
Once again welcome to the most informative, friendly, and sometimes crazy and shit Stirring bunch of blokes and WOMEN around. This forum is great in the way it welcomes women folk with open arms and also encourages kids and families to hunt.
You WILL realise your African dream and wonder why you left it so long. It's cheaper to hunt Africa than you think. For me it wasn't much dearer to hunt 13 head of plains game with my son than it was to go to the NT and hunt a couple of wild plough cows ( water buff).
Bob

Thank you, Gentlemen.

If I scour maps, government issued reports on feral animal control, study weather and road reports in my spare time do you think I have a problem? :rolleyes:
@Michael70
NAH, I can't see a problem at all.
It called forward planning just incase you get called out to help with a herd of maurding animas.
I can only see it being a problem if you have the go bag ready, 1,000 rounds of loaded ammo,enough food to do a month trip and the long range tank full ready to go at all times.
Bob

Hello Michael70,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you get a spare moment, have a peep at our web site.

Meanwhile ya, someone once said:
The person we marry will create 90% of our happiness or 90% of our misery.

Similar to yourself, I am fortunate.
My wife, although primarily of Swiss DNA, is a life long Alaskan.

Therefore, our home is festooned with antlers, horns, tusks and carvings, from here in Alaska and also from around the world, including Africa.
Plus, we have on our walls, hunting, fishing and general outdoor related photographs, etc.

One of my friends has a wife who, refuses to enter our home, calling it “The House of Death”.
She eats meat.
? Somehow her pompous and fact rejecting little brain, thinks the grocery store meat she eats is delivered by angels from Heaven ?
My friend chose poorly.

Well anyway, I’m starting to derail your thread so, I will stop rambling here.

Thank you for joining.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
The lady must have something going for her for your friend to marry her. Some people we will just never understand. Like these new age muppets that like almond milk and the such. It ain't milk it's NUT JUICE.
Bob

Welcome aboard Michael70. There are lots of Aussies on AH. It sounds like you have your life and goals in good order. When you get around to seriously looking for a rifle in the calibers you mentioned, simply post your wants on AH. I think you'll be surprised at the number of "African" caliber rifles that reside in Oz. We'll be looking for the hunting reports and photos of your future hunts. P.S. you might find other AH members near you by posting the city closest to where you live.
@Shootist43
Art where @Michael70 lives is the capital of the Territory. The next town of size is 320km away. There you turn right and drive 4,000km to Perth. Or go another 2,700km south to Adelaide. There's a lot of space in the Territory and farms are measured in square miles or kilometres. Farms used to be measured in the millions of acres back in the day. Dang Texas would fit into the Territory a few times over and y'all know ow big that is according to them thar texicans. Some of these farms are the size of a small European country. Once you leave Darwin there's three fifths of five eights of stuff all in the way of population.
Bob

There may be a couple of members in the Top End.

Mostly we are spread out from the ones I've spoken with.
3 hours from me is the closest member I know of. Then 6, then 8, then 12, and some are near 30 hours drive and I'm somewhat centrally located.

I think we might have about 20 active members. Makes us pretty spread out but I think there might be at least 2 up near Michael 70.

Fun fact, from where I'm sitting Darwin is nearly as far as New Zealand. That means
@Von Gruff almost fits in our geographical area if he wanted to identify as an Aussie.

Flying from Perth is the best way to get to Africa. That's listed as 41 hours driving from Sydney.

Obviously we have domestic flights but that might put it in perspective as to how far spread our Aussie members are.
@CBH Australia
Sydney to Perth in 41hrs driving time. Some one is telling you porkies mate. It's over 4,500km.
The truck I drove east west Express was capable of 200kph/120mph and we were given 48hrsto do the run with one driver. Leave Friday night 10pm to be in Perth Monday 4am for the markets. Sleep Monday night, load Tuesday to be back in Sydney Thursday. Sleep Thursday night and start all over again.
She's a bloody big country east to west and north to south I can assure you of that.
Bob

Screenshot_20230214_140144.jpg

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I was just quoting what I Googled at the time.
I can take 12 hours off that because I would never live in Sydney.
Yes, she's a big old country.

Welcome Michael70, from another Aussie. I hope you don’t have an addiction. If it is then so do I….
My addiction also includes Africa but also all thing wild in the NT. I’ll be up there again in September…..

Once again, welcome.
Hi Mark,

It looks like at this stage that we will have least one but maybe two members from the forum in Darwin in September.

Please keep me updated and if kismet looks after us all we could possibly arrange a get together dinner or hunt.

The more members the merrier.

Thanks,

Michael.

@Michael70 Welcome mate there's a lot of Aussies on this site. You have a top bloke that's very knowledgeable up your way called Anthony George. A really great bloke
The Territory is a nice place but to bloody humid for this southerner. I do have relos up there that love it up there. They moved from Timber Creek to Darwin.
Those 350s should work well on those buff up there. In July I hope to try some 310gn Woodleigh in my Whelen at 2,455fps on scrub bulls up the Cape.
Once again welcome to the most informative, friendly, and sometimes crazy and shit Stirring bunch of blokes and WOMEN around. This forum is great in the way it welcomes women folk with open arms and also encourages kids and families to hunt.
You WILL realise your African dream and wonder why you left it so long. It's cheaper to hunt Africa than you think. For me it wasn't much dearer to hunt 13 head of plains game with my son than it was to go to the NT and hunt a couple of wild plough cows ( water buff).
Bob
Thanks Bob,

Will realise the dream one day but on the back burner for now. Have to keep my eye in with the pigs and buff.

I understand that the cost of hunting the NT is ridiculous but if you factor in the money for the TO’s (traditional owners) and the remote camps/transport/logistics the price has to be what it is. I agree I wouldn’t pay for it but I have the luxury of access and location.

Would be great to meet other Darwin/ NT members and we could be a useful resource for other members coming up here for advice, support or more. Us hunters need to stick together.

I am happy to meet any like minded people and share a beer, hot meal or a hunt.

Thanks,

Michael.

View attachment 517233
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
I was just quoting what I Googled at the time.
I can take 12 hours off that because I would never live in Sydney.
Yes, she's a big old country.
@CBH Australia
I drove that run for to months snd did close to 500,000km during that time. I don't think the road has changed that much.
You don't live in Sydney you exist. I used to get asked what the best views of Sydney were. My answer was always the same.
The view in my rear view mirrors when I left the shit hole.
Bob

Thanks Bob,

Will realise the dream one day but on the back burner for now. Have to keep my eye in with the pigs and buff.

I understand that the cost of hunting the NT is ridiculous but if you factor in the money for the TO’s (traditional owners) and the remote camps/transport/logistics the price has to be what it is. I agree I wouldn’t pay for it but I have the luxury of access and location.

Would be great to meet other Darwin/ NT members and we could be a useful resource for other members coming up here for advice, support or more. Us hunters need to stick together.

I am happy to meet any like minded people and share a beer, hot meal or a hunt.

Thanks,

Michael.
@Michael70
The closest I will get to Darwin will be next year I ope to get up to Katherine and turn left to timber Creek in may/ June next year.
I do like my Bundy tho.
Bob

@CBH Australia
I drove that run for to months snd did close to 500,000km during that time. I don't think the road has changed that much.
You don't live in Sydney you exist. I used to get asked what the best views of Sydney were. My answer was always the same.
The view in my rear view mirrors when I left the shit hole.
Bob
Yep, we certainly feel like we don't count. But that's all of us West of the great dividing range.
But you are near Newcastle, CV lose enough Part of NS

Newcastle
Sydney
Wollongong

I've had Sydney in my rearview at least a dozen times, never missed it though.

Welcome to a great forum Michael70, youy sound pretty normal to me, with the Australian dollar African currency exchange rate Africa should be an affordable hunting destination and good luck look forward to your hunting posts.
Thanks for the welcome Hunterph. To be honest some of the SA and Namibian hunts offered here are ridiculously cheap especially when I know what the local guides are charging in the NT and the standard of their facilities. African hunting is the best value hunting in the world bar none.

At the moment my hunting funds are being repurposed to a university 4,000 kms away and their very expensive on-site residential college. It's an investment / sacrifice that we all make as parents, and I am not lamenting my delay and have no problem making the payments as long as my boy has an opportunity that was never an option for me.

I am getting older and have to be more serious about my fitness, or rather getting my fitness. In the past hunting every week and quite often several days per week meant that there was no need for fad diets or gym membership but that was a very long time ago. I have to do the hard work.

I need all the time I can get :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard!

Good day to you! Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaColl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!