Hello everyone, I am Marshall

Welcome to AH!

I want to hunt Moose and caribou with my 35 whelen. I just got started with calibers of this type but I shot a nice pig in OK this year with it. The rifle did real well on the Boar. So I figure 225 serria will work on most other hunt able game. Friend also traded a 338-06 to me and I am ringing it out also. But at this time I don't see much difference between the two except bullet diameter.

Does anyone have experience with the 375 Flanged Mag cartridge? I have a chance to buy a double rifle in that caliber and since I hand load , I figured I could work my way up to shooting heavy loads in a few months.

Does anyone have experience with the 375 Flanged Mag cartridge? I have a chance to buy a double rifle in that caliber and since I hand load , I figured I could work my way up to shooting heavy loads in a few months.

Hello Marshall Ritchey,

And, welcome to the best forum in the world.
It's good to have another rifle enthusiast joining in.
Since "discovering" Africa, I've lamented the fact that Ruger does not chamber their #1 in .375 NE Flanged.
For my 2nd safari to the Dark Continent, I brought a Merkel SxS in .375 H&H (belted) but I'd had it re-regulated to 300 grain round nose (softs and solids), @ 2400 fps which, is the Flanged version's ballistics.

Shot 9 critters with it and all but one were one shot conclusions.
A gul dang wilderbeast was hit at the juncture of neck and shoulder and dropped to the shot.
But, was still alive so, I gave him another one and then we began the typical photo session.

I'd used this 2400 fps load much already here in Alaska (Hornady round nose and Nosler Partition both) in single shot and bolt action rifles, for hunting in thick foliage.
Blah, blah, blah.
Anyway, I'm curious about the rifle you mention as an opportunity to buy.
If you get it, please post all about it in the Double Rifle section of this forum.

You've mentioned possibly hunting here in AK, with .35 Whelen / 225 gr Sierra bullets.
That is a speldid Alaska / Canada / Africa cartridge.
The Sierra will most likely pass clear through caribou on broadside shots.
Although for moose here, I'd use the Swift A-Frame bullet.
Since you shoot the Whelen already, you will have no trouble with recoil from a normal weight double in .375 Flanged (unless for some reason unknown to man, you decided to crank up your powder charges above what regulates in the double).

If you have a bit of layover in Anchorage, do look me up, I'll buy the coffee, etc.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
thank You for the reply. The double is a Sabatti, Italian made. I know it is not a high end gun, but it may be a way to work myself up to a fine double one day. But I still like my 35 whelen and the 338-06 browning I own. Always was a bolt guy and both of the them shoot pretty fine. But Africa is a ways off probably a year or more. So for now I am concentrating on hunting AK this spring? and maybe the fall. My buddy wants to hunt black bear in the spring and I told him I would go along with him. I figure a 35 whelen will kill a little black bear.

Pat thank You for the reply, Swift is a great bullet and I am told woodlege is another great bullet. I will figure the Sabatti out once I get my paws on it. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AXLMadonna

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!