guns and rust

larry4831

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
what is the lowest temperature that you can store guns without having to worry about rust.

If I am not mistaken, temperature (in and of itself) has nothing to do with rust......it's humidity. And if a gun is properly protected with rust inhibitors, then the point is moot.

If I am not mistaken, temperature (in and of itself) has nothing to do with rust......it's humidity. And if a gun is properly protected with rust inhibitors, then the point is moot.
thank you Mr 16 gauge

A few degrees above the dew point. Where ever you are.

There are reasons why rifles were "packed" in grease to ship them. (as noted above) :)

There are reasons why rifles were "packed" in grease to ship them. (as noted above) :)

Oh? I thought they were packed in grease to make the bullets come out faster. (For those of you who've seen the movie Sgt. York, with Gary Cooper, you'll understand what I'm talking about......;))

Thanks, the humidity is 36% and the dew point is 41 degrees

Oh? I thought they were packed in grease to make the bullets come out faster. (For those of you who've seen the movie Sgt. York, with Gary Cooper, you'll understand what I'm talking about......;))

Funny.

Can you video tape this one for me.
Please pull the trigger remotely. I do not want to actually witness the human carnage.

Thanks, the humidity is 36% and the dew point is 41 degrees

It will change throughout the year on a constant basis.
Condensation will occur. That is the enemy. It forms when the temperature of an object drops below the dew point temperature.
So, constant temperature above that point will help.

Good luck.

Poison serpents and politicians are the enemies of humanity.
Rust and politicians are the enemies of firearms.

Get some Poly Bags and place the firearms in them. They are made for use with firearms and have a VCI embedded in them to protect the firearms. I also got some VCI chips from www. theinhibitor.com to add to them. Inhibitor also make an oil(spray or wipe on) that is good for firearms. You will have no troubles. They are used for long term storage and have easy to open closers so you can remove/replace firearms in them as often as you want. I have had some pistols in them for 7 years so far. They look as good as the day I put them in.
The other nice thing is no dust on them and no grease to make a mess with or to have to remove to use them.

One of the smartest things I ever did besides divorcing my now ex wife.

Here is the segment I was talking about (from 2:48 to about 4:05).

yes, I understand that humidity and temperature will change. I just put up yesterday as for an example. but the humidity has been very low here about 30 percent which is a good thing. thank you all.

You can buy impregnated gun socks for little money which claim to keep moisture at bay.
I use one here in the UK for my rifle. Clean as normal, slip the sock over it and put in cabinet. Keeps the gun clean, dust free and helps prevent knocks and damage.

Last edited:
Technically, metal will rust faster as the temperature increases but the goal should be not let the rust start in the first place.

Besides what people have said keeping down the humidity, it's also good to coat the metal in a little bit of oil. This keeps the oxygen and moisture away from the metal.

A gold stick in the safe keeps it just a tad warmer than the ambient air temp outside of the safe. However, nothing beats oil, Rem oil is what I prefer. (Waiting for the remington haters club)

A gold stick in the safe keeps it just a tad warmer than the ambient air temp outside of the safe. However, nothing beats oil, Rem oil is what I prefer. (Waiting for the remington haters club)
Sign me up!

I want to thank you all, my guns do not have any rusand that is the way I would like to keep it. I use to live in pennsylvania where in the summer it would be in the high ninety's and so would the humidity. Now I live in alaska and the humidity is surprisingly low sometimes and the temperatures get very cold and I keep them in the garage that I try to keep at least 60 degrees in the winter

A few degrees above the dew point. Where ever you are.

Exactly. If it's metal it needs some rust protection in all but the very driest of environments. Even stainless isn't completely "stainless".... . But it sure does help!

I use a product called eezox. It goes on thin and dries to a non oily film that also lubricates. I use it before going hunting to keep copper fouling down on guns that copper quickly.

Just call me a 'PTFE in suspension' hater! :)

It would be completely un-PC to heap abuse on those poor deluded souls who believe that the Remington Model 700 is the Alpha and Omega. :D :A Stirring: :D Beers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.