Great American outdoor show

Been there twice in last 4 years. I stay at the Red Lion Inn nearby. Breakfast included $129.00 plus tax. 2 queen beds. Clean, comfortable and they shuttle bus you for free to and from the show. Very pleasant Inn and easy to work with the staff. Some very fine outfitters from Africa and Argentina always have a booth there. You just have to do your homework. Pennsylvanians are very personal and friendly to deal with. I really enjoy it and will be there Feb. 4-6 to find and book a trip for Cape Buffalo with 3 fellow friends and hunters. HOWEVER...a great place to pick up whatever flu is popular for this winter. Forewarned is forearmed. Cheers and happy shopping for hunts!

I go most years to Harrisburg and a few times to DSC. They are two different experiences. It's a 3 hr drive to Harrisburg and I usually don't stay the night. If there is something that interests me, I may drive back out later in the same week. Not to many of these shows so I try to take advantage when I can. I like the diversity of outfitters and I often learn a lot conversing with them. And that's what keeps me going back every year.

I will be staying at a local hotel that runs a shuttle service to the show. If any one is thinking about staying local, the shuttles or ubers are the way to do it.
My wife and I have done this several times and the shuttle runs from the mall near Bass Pro Shops. Not going this year because of a project conflict.

We booked our first Africa hunt at that show in 2018. Not sure what the current state of African outfitters is but it’s certainly a different crowd from DSC and SCI.

It’s not a bad show to go to, but like was mentioned before there’s are lots of teeshirt and candy type vendors.

Outfitter wise it leans much heavier on the North American side and the African Outfitters that do go tend to be more South African ranch type hunts. There are some great outfitters in attendance but if I was planning an Africa hunt, I’d be searching SCI or DSC because those outfitters also tend to go there as well.

A little research found ten Africa outfitters. Some may be listed under other locations/countries.

Absolutely BigGame! Always something to learn! Also never lacks for keeping a hunter or fisherman entertained! Have fun!

A little research found ten Africa outfitters. Some may be listed under other locations/countries.

Theres 33 outfits for Africa by my count looking down the current exhibitor list.

1 Mozambique
6 Namibia
26 South Africa

Nice, Dinsdale! Enough to make my 5 1/2-hour road trip worthwhile! Now for picking an Outfitter for my dream African Dangerous Game hunt! Cape Buffalo.

Nice, Dinsdale! Enough to make my 5 1/2-hour road trip worthwhile! Now for picking an Outfitter for my dream African Dangerous Game hunt! Cape Buffalo.
Where do you want to go? I am looking to book the same this year

Looks like South Africa. 2 other hunters on this trip with 4 observers. First time hunters to Africa number 3 on this trip. One with egg allergies so narrowing down the field quickly. Going in 2025. Mine is the only dangerous game animal sought after.

You should visit with Motsomi Safaris, I know they exhibit at this show every year. I have hunted with them twice and did my Cape buffalo hunt with them this past June. They are great people to hunt with and you would enjoy their company..

IMG_3333.JPG

You should visit with Motsomi Safaris, I know they exhibit at this show every year. I have hunted with them twice and did my Cape buffalo hunt with them this past June. They are great people to hunt with and you would enjoy their company..

View attachment 583926
I hunted with motsomi last summer, They would be tough to beat

GAOS is a terrific show and I go every year.

My 2¢. SCI is a different pay grade crowd than Harrisburg. Haven't been but twice since the NRA took over but IIRC, there were a dozen or more Africa hunt booths. For sure, it's a lot better than the Sham-Wow/Turquoise Jewlery/Super Car polish/Trinket show it used to be. Am going with a couple fellow retired buds who I've hunted with in Africa and with the right package, are looking to book for this year and maybe the next.
One caveat for prospective attendees, Harrisburg is NOT gun friendly and their government officials don't do squat to help the incoming traffic situation. It's usually miles of backed up traffic on the interstate and traffic signals that let five cars make the left up to the remote parking lot. Parking at the mall or closer to the venue can also be a clusterfk, BTDT. Just allow yourself A LOT of time to get there.
You said it very well, DSC/SCI versus Harrisburg is like comparing apples to oranges. I personally booked an elephant hunt at Harrisburg, I have some friends who booked with various outfitters and had great trips. I give a lot of credit to all of the vendors who can do a 9 day show! And I would go every year if it were not for the parking and getting into the venue, it's a challenge.

As previously mentioned on this thread...book at a local Inn that provides transport to and from the show. Red Lion Hotel a good place to start. Mitigates parking and getting to and from and in the venue. Problems are just solutions hiding in the bush! Thank you MontanaPat and 62flint for your input. Motsomi written down to visit at the show.

FWIW, Trump is supposed to be there on Friday the 9th.

Just a heads up if planning on being there that day, I would expect a cluster f* of crowds,parking, and security issues.

Nice Buff MontanaPat! Bet The Story even better!

If you search for Motsomi you should find the hunt report I wrote up in Dec 23 about the buffalo hunt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.