Grace Engineering Acquires Montana Rifle Company

Ian,
The Heym Martini Express rifle has me tempted to sell off one of my doubles...
It was bolt action excellence!

In my shoulder I rapidly worked the bolt with palm on my hand never touching the fake scope. Oh my gosh! A .416 Heym Martini Express could be all the rifle a man or woman ever needs!
When you are at the SCI convention, seek out the Heym Martini Express bolt action rifle. The one I played with was a .458 Lott and felt in my shoulder like I was dancing with a beautiful movie starlet! It was their newer version with a longer bolt handle. That rifle should inspire you and maybe even make you lust over an inanimate object!

PS: Yes I know Morgan very well from Bullseye (Precision) Pistol. I've also had him on my backyard range coaching him in Service Rifle.

Last edited:
I might as well say hello publicly-

I'm the design engineer at Grace Engineering/Montana Rifle. If any of ya'll are going to be in Nashville, swing by the booth and say hello!

-Ian MacDonald
Hello Ian and welcome. I will plan on looking you up in the booth in Nashville. I'm a fan of the old Montana Rifle Company in the context of building several rifles for myself on their actions. They made left hand actions which fulfilled a need for CRF in a more or less pre 64 clone. My all time favorite rifle is a 9.3x62 Model 1999 in custom wood that I put together in 2005. Anyway i'm glad you are working on reviving the name but I have one question. Why the integral picatinny type scope ring bases? I know they are strong but add weight and not at all my style.

Hi Yukontom,

I look forward to meeting you in Nashville!

The integral pic rail is a very polarizing feature. I remember the uproar when we debuted it last year. "Aesthetically disgusting cheese-grater" was my personal favorite of the critic's descriptions.

What it boils down to is we actually use the picatinny rail to hold the receiver in our 5 axis mill. Truth be told, the fully machined receiver with the pic rail is actually 4oz (1/4lbs) lighter than it's previous cast brethren.

Fret not though, we will be offering a slick top receiver that more closely resembles the classic Model 70 at some point later down the road. I'm actually trying to get a consensus as to which top profile would be more preferable to the market- classic M70 .860 hole spacing, or go with something easier to find mounts for and mimic the Remington 700 top profile/hole pattern. We'll probably retain the M70, unless there's true merit in changing. I can say from personal experience that 700 style mounts are far easier to obtain in a pinch than having to order Winchester compatible units.

-Ian

Hi Yukontom,

The integral pic rail is a very polarizing feature. I remember the uproar when we debuted it last year. "Aesthetically disgusting cheese-grater" was my personal favorite of the critic's descriptions.

What it boils down to is we actually use the picatinny rail to hold the receiver in our 5 axis mill. Truth be told, the fully machined receiver with the pic rail is actually 4oz (1/4lbs) lighter than it's previous cast brethren.

Fret not though, we will be offering a slick top receiver that more closely resembles the classic Model 70 at some point later down the road. I'm actually trying to get a consensus as to which top profile would be more preferable to the market- classic M70 .860 hole spacing, or go with something easier to find mounts for and mimic the Remington 700 top profile/hole pattern. We'll probably retain the M70, unless there's true merit in changing. I can say from personal experience that 700 style mounts are far easier to obtain in a pinch than having to order Winchester compatible units.

-Ian
Thanks for the note back Ian. I was thinking that it probably took extra effort to do the picatinny making it more expensive to machine but maybe not? At any rate count me in for a left hand slick top at some point. only mildly surprised about the weight because the investment cast versions did seem a bit heavy. I also vote for sticking with the model 70 receiver top.

Hi Mark! Jay speaks pretty highly of you, and I know I've heard your name before (probably from Don Morgan at some point). It turns out we're all BWSA members, and I deer hunt just north of Jay's town.

When the tundra thaws, and schedules permit, I'd love to pick your and Jay's brains on a true DGR. We at MRC/Grace Engineering are working hard on getting the current lineup out to customers, but given MRC's history in Africa, we don't want to leave out the dangerous game community. More importantly, we want to do it right.

-Ian
That is excellent to hear!

Hi Yukontom,

-Ian
It’s great to hear that you will, at some point, offer a receiver without the pic rail. So if you’re open to other suggestions……..

A slick top with M70 hole spacing
High polish blue
AAA walnut with a 90-degree ebony tip and grip cap (real ebony please)
300 H&H
26 inch barrel
Barrel band front swivel and a 2-screw inlet rear swivel
Single island rear sight and bright white front bead sight

There’d be at least one buyer for a rifle like this! :giggle:

Hi Mark! Jay speaks pretty highly of you, and I know I've heard your name before (probably from Don Morgan at some point). It turns out we're all BWSA members, and I deer hunt just north of Jay's town.

When the tundra thaws, and schedules permit, I'd love to pick your and Jay's brains on a true DGR. We at MRC/Grace Engineering are working hard on getting the current lineup out to customers, but given MRC's history in Africa, we don't want to leave out the dangerous game community. More importantly, we want to do it right.

-Ian

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing what y’all do and glad the goal is to do it right. This is all great news.

I hope the "New MRC or whatever it will be called" will keep the original 3 position safety and original style trigger as were used on all pre-FN Win 70s. The only design feature I would like to see added/incorporated into any future iteration of the basic 1999 MRC action would be the anti-bind feature design as first used by Winchester in their M70 beginning in, IIRC, 1968. It is overlooked and not even recognized by many but a very positive development for any modern Mauser type bolt action. The only caveat would be if Winchester patented the design in '68 and how that could be accommodated in any action now.

To anyone interested in more info on the design and current rifles, you can google search Montana Rifle Company and pull up our page. Out of respect for sponsors, I don't want to post links.

BTW- please excuse the bald guy in the video... he doesn't get out much :)

-Ian
When will .308 Win rifles actually be available for purchase?

And please cut a deal with Bell & Carlson to allow them to sell the stocks that were used on the XWR.

Ian,

When you are at the SCI convention, seek out the Heym Martini Express bolt action rifle. The one I played with was a .458 Lott and felt in my shoulder like I was dancing with a beautiful movie starlet! It was their newer version with a longer bolt handle. That rifle should inspire you and maybe even make you lust over an inanimate object!

PS: Yes I know Morgan very well from Bullseye (Precision) Pistol. I've also had him on my backyard range coaching him in Service Rifle.

Agreed, the stock design should be straightforward and as they say “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”, so inspire yourself on the Heym Martini Express. :)

And yes please lose the integrated picatinny rail on top of the action.

As you are producing the action yourselves, will they eventually be produced in magnum lengths?

The integral Pic rail is one of the best features that set this action apart from most others and is the reason I am looking to buy it.

I had the pic rail discussion with another action manufacturer. In today's market, it's what's desired by the majority and what sells. Build a niche product and you'll go broke.

Thanks for the note back Ian. I was thinking that it probably took extra effort to do the picatinny making it more expensive to machine but maybe not? At any rate count me in for a left hand slick top at some point. only mildly surprised about the weight because the investment cast versions did seem a bit heavy. I also vote for sticking with the model 70 receiver top.
I can second a left-handed model CRF model!! BADLY needed!!

here’s a question, what would it take to make a full length magnum action? In reality it can’t be that much more work than a standard length.

I can second a left-handed model CRF model!! BADLY needed!!

Agreed!

As far as the rail, on some rifles I'd want it, but not on a more traditional safari rifle. I understand that it's used for holding during machining, but it seems to me it could be removed with an additional setup. Once the rest of the operations are completed, flip the action over in the CNC and turn the pic rail into something resembling a double square bridge. Just need to figure out a way to hold the otherwise finished action for that last setup. I'd also omit the lightening cuts to the rear of the ejection port on the safari version.

Agreed!

As far as the rail, on some rifles I'd want it, but not on a more traditional safari rifle. I understand that it's used for holding during machining, but it seems to me it could be removed with an additional setup. Once the rest of the operations are completed, flip the action over in the CNC and turn the pic rail into something resembling a double square bridge. Just need to figure out a way to hold the otherwise finished action for that last setup. I'd also omit the lightening cuts to the rear of the ejection port on the safari version.
I usually throw a pic rail away. And put on a reliable mount, Talley, Leupold, etc. and rings to match.

I usually throw a pic rail away. And put on a reliable mount, Talley, Leupold, etc. and rings to match.
What would make you think a rail is "unreliable." A one piece rail will have both rings in alignment because they are mounted on the same plane end to end. In theory anyway, a rail must be more rigid than two-piece bases.

What would make you think a rail is "unreliable." A one piece rail will have both rings in alignment because they are mounted on the same plane end to end. In theory anyway, a rail must be more rigid than two-piece bases.
Personal taste I imagine. I'm pretty sure I'm a "traditionalist" as far as firearms are concerned .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.