Grace Engineering Acquires Montana Rifle Company

Agreed
Hope it works out. I had not kept up with the Gunwerks stuff so I looked at the SKUHL. Oh my! Looks like a gen z druggy just off a 24 hour binge of video gaming designed that thing. You know they are clueless when they have to add to their own description about the over-cooked engraving stating it is, “tastefully done”. Then post images showing a “DG” rifle with engraved barreled action, honey dipper bolt handle, spiral fluted bolt body plus scope with all manner of knobs and gizmos all sitting in some kind of “Franken-stock”. Have mercy. I’m not sure clueless describes it. :)

I need to now go back and make sure I didn’t get routed to some alternate universe when searching for Gunwerks rifle designs…

Last edited:
To clarify, the skull is from a functionally stand point. A great rifle. They build a great rifle. And they are some of the nicest guys you will ever meet. My first interaction with them was at a show. I was into LR shooting at the time. And kicking tires.

I saw the type of extra heavy duty rifle scope covers they used on their personal rifles. I asked about buying one. Assuming the sold them. They did not.

Mike said hold on. Walked across the booth, pulled out one of his personal rifles. Took the cover off his rifle and gave it to me.

They truly are gentlemen and nice people. And the skull is a nice functional rifle.

But the calibers and features that many experienced African shooters demand are missing. They may say that they are blazing a new tradition similar to Blaser. So I don’t want to sound as I’m bashing Gunwerks.
IMG_3150.jpeg

I live :40 North of the Grace engineering building. Early on when they came out with their first metal injection molded broadheads. I set up an appointment to talk to them about improving it. They were receptive and polite.

I emailed them recently that they have a talented firearms expert that lives 5-10 minutes south of them. And he could give them advise on African hunting rifles. He is a known AH contributor.
I recieved a generic thank you email.

Not a good sign.

But who knows. Maybe they do have an expert advising them. Or maybe they are not interested in that small market.

The DG rifle market is a relatively small niche- neither large nor deep. Ruger, who owns the casting factory for the original MRC actions, couldn't or didn't choose to continue their own, big DG rifle model. I don't know how much the tactical, tricked out market spills over to the DG market? Even the Buck Ward (aka Colorado Buck) signature series couldn't save the MRC buisness model at the time... IIRC during the 2nd iteration of MRC- ;) :):).... have mercy. I notice Colorado Buck has expanded his horizons though and is now hawking his own gourmet meat line from his ranchette in Texas :)

I live :40 North of the Grace engineering building. Early on when they came out with their first metal injection molded broadheads. I set up an appointment to talk to them about improving it. They were receptive and polite.

I emailed them recently that they have a talented firearms expert that lives 5-10 minutes south of them. And he could give them advise on African hunting rifles. He is a known AH contributor.
I recieved a generic thank you email.

Not a good sign.

But who knows. Maybe they do have an expert advising them. Or maybe they are not interested in that small market.

I’m looking forward to seeing what they have and then how they move forward with it from there. The action sure seems suited for DG.

Wish them well. I’m glad they are the first ones to figure out how to grind the extractor to snap over. Hopefully they showed Dean “we’re not selling Saturns here” Sacca the door.

As pertains to Gunwerks and the similar companies like them, they are the antithesis of ideal designers of safari rifles. It isn't that they can't make great quality, its that they are obsessed with the wrong things:

1.) Accuracy
2.) More accuracy
3.) Match grade materials
4.) Revolutionary materials
5.) Milspec and styled components
6.) Comfort and eye relief for prone and bench shooting

Compared to:

1.) Does it load?
2.) Does it feed?
3.) Does it feed everything?
4.) Is the stock geometry perfect for an instant shot?
5.) Can I ask again about its feed?
6.) Does it extract and eject perfectly?
7.) Does it carry well?
8.) Does it have pretty wood, a quarter rib, an extended internal magazine, and hand cut checkering?
9.) Dead last question, is it reasonably accurate in the 1MOA to 1.5MOA range?

For those that don't eat and breathe safaris, they just can't design and quality control for what matters most, it's not in their wheelhouse.

I've had similar issues with Area419 reloading presses. Finest quality, but they missed a lot of requirements because nobody on the design team knew anything about large bore rifles that weren't sniper rifles. Design paid the price.

As pertains to Gunwerks and the similar companies like them, they are the antithesis of ideal designers of safari rifles. It isn't that they can't make great quality, its that they are obsessed with the wrong things:

1.) Accuracy
2.) More accuracy
3.) Match grade materials
4.) Revolutionary materials
5.) Milspec and styled components
6.) Comfort and eye relief for prone and bench shooting

Compared to:

1.) Does it load?
2.) Does it feed?
3.) Does it feed everything?
4.) Is the stock geometry perfect for an instant shot?
5.) Can I ask again about its feed?
6.) Does it extract and eject perfectly?
7.) Does it carry well?
8.) Does it have pretty wood, a quarter rib, an extended internal magazine, and hand cut checkering?
9.) Dead last question, is it reasonably accurate in the 1MOA to 1.5MOA range?

For those that don't eat and breathe safaris, they just can't design and quality control for what matters most, it's not in their wheelhouse.

I've had similar issues with Area419 reloading presses. Finest quality, but they missed a lot of requirements because nobody on the design team knew anything about large bore rifles that weren't sniper rifles. Design paid the price.

1.Reliable
2.Reliable
3. Fast handling
4.Ease of carry
5.Reliable

I’ve never seen a PH shoot his back up gun at 1000 yards prone but I have seen them save a few lives at under 10.

Good news

The engineer at Grace engineering just reached out to me and is open to suggestions.
He said they already have most of the features that DG hunters demand. and also they are going to be at Nashville, showing what they have so far.

I might as well say hello publicly-

I'm the design engineer at Grace Engineering/Montana Rifle. If any of ya'll are going to be in Nashville, swing by the booth and say hello!

-Ian MacDonald
Welcome Sir! We as a group are anxiously awaiting to see your product. A rifle US made for big game would be a sure winner.

I might as well say hello publicly-

I'm the design engineer at Grace Engineering/Montana Rifle. If any of ya'll are going to be in Nashville, swing by the booth and say hello!

-Ian MacDonald
:S Welcome: It’s great to have you aboard

Mark Ouellette lives :5 south of Grace Engineering. I was telling Ian what a wealth of knowledge in firearms. But more importantly, dangerous game rifles.
Thanks Jay! I suppose I do know a few things about firearms, ammunition, and so on. A regular Captain Gadget here :) More importantly, hopefully I know what I do not know!
Having a supposed ( I may have your all fooled...) "wealth of knowledge" may explain why I am so "gun poor"...

Ian, I am happy that you have said hello to our AH group. I think most all of us are looking forward in great anticipation to the new Memphis, oops I mean Montana Rifle Company's Dangerous Game / PH rifle.
If you'd like talk DGRs, and also handle and shoot a few dangerous game bolt and double rifles, send me a PM. Conveniently I have a range in my back yard for just such an occasion!

Last edited:
Hi Mark! Jay speaks pretty highly of you, and I know I've heard your name before (probably from Don Morgan at some point). It turns out we're all BWSA members, and I deer hunt just north of Jay's town.

When the tundra thaws, and schedules permit, I'd love to pick your and Jay's brains on a true DGR. We at MRC/Grace Engineering are working hard on getting the current lineup out to customers, but given MRC's history in Africa, we don't want to leave out the dangerous game community. More importantly, we want to do it right.

-Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.