Good cartridge for Giraffe

I’m going to SA in August, I’ll be taking a .375 HH. What bullets are recommended for giraffe? I’ll be taking a lot of federal 300 grain swift A frame. But I wonder if it won’t penetrate well enough due to the thickness of the giraffes hide?…
They’re good for anything short of elephant and rhino. I wouldn’t worry about it at all

I’m going to SA in August, I’ll be taking a .375 HH. What bullets are recommended for giraffe? I’ll be taking a lot of federal 300 grain swift A frame. But I wonder if it won’t penetrate well enough due to the thickness of the giraffes hide?…
.375 caliber, 300 grain Swift A-Frames will be good. Others I’d recommend (all 300 grain or more) Barnes TSX, Norma Oryx and Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw.

Only load solids at the request of your PH. These are typically not necessary for giraffe.

Excellent, I think I’ll be in good shape then!
You are! Stay with those. Take solids for little stuff and or elephant or rhino;)

I used a 375 H&H with a 300 grain Peregrine bullet. My big bull was a frontal shot and he only took a few steps before dropping. The hard part is getting close enough on foot to get a good shoot. My bull once we hit the ground became very weary and hard to get close too.

My suggestion is taking a rifle and pistol and if you get close enough use the pistol.

This would be a great choice in my opinion. My 300 grain, 375 H&H went through the chest bone and into the back leg. I thought it was plenty of bullet and caliber for a clean kill. It is a very thick hide, but it worked for me. My PH said he had shot a lot of giraffes with this combination without issue when the bullet was properly placed.

I believe their skin is nearly 1" thick in places. A high-powered "deer" cartridge to the head OR a .375 HH in the body (and using solids or Barnes TSX isn't a bad idea at all). I (single) lunged a huge, dark old boy in Zim w/ a 375, but it took off as if unharmed, so I grabbed my 264 WSM (w/ 160 Woodleighs), gave chase and brained it from afar to put it down. Use Enough Gun! This was back in the day when the giraffe were decimating forest like elephants in places, and the landowner would allow PHs to go after 'em for free! This fed a LOT of people from surrounding villages and I was happy to hear tractors w/ wagons (full of hungry helpers) coming closer in the distance from miles away...

ZimbabweLemco20070726 034.jpg
ZimbabweLemco20070726 079.jpg
ZimbabweLemco20070726 083.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanaBirre

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.