Good cartridge for Giraffe

Amon458

AH veteran
Reaction score
I would like to use a revolver on one of these big boys I have a SA 45-70 six shooter but was wondering if it would be capable and if so what bullet selection. If not I guess I can always use the 458 Lott bolt gun.:D

If I was going to pistol-whip a giraffe with a 45-70, I'd try to find 300 - 350 gr X bullets or a Northfork in the 350 - 400 gr range.

Does make a difference if you plan to shoot high neck vs body though. If high neck, even the 300 gr Partition should work.

This opinion is based on zero giraffe kills, but is prompted by an 8 hour layover in Istanbul and EFES beer, so apply salt liberally!

I also have a 300 weatherby I and I have been looking for an excuse to load with some CEB solids. ;)

I also have a 300 weatherby I and I have been looking for an excuse to load with some CEB solids. ;)

Haha - yes, which cartridge and bullet to use are often somewhat dictated by which excuse we are using (within reason of course).

Have fun deciding!

Amon your revolver with 45-70 will work just fine if you can get close enough to hit it. 325 grain Hornady will do the trick

Having never killed a giraffe, I can not attest to just how tough they are, but on the other hand I have hunted a lot with the grand ole 45-70 and feel quite confident with one in my paws. I am assuming that the wheel gun you have is a Magnum Research BFR? If so you could surely scare him or beat him to death with that hog leg! Lol
Cheers,
Cody

sounds like an interesting hunt with a pistol ......
pistol hunting is something that us aussie hunter don't get to contemplate
if you can close the gap , before he bolts off in slo motion
worse case sceniro ,the 300 will knock him flat ,no worries there .seen my wife do that with a 300 .
never seen it but my son did it in 2010 with a 30.06 where the neck ends and the head starts

Bullthrower no its a Super Six bison bull six shot revolver

089.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm worried about the penatration since the bullet will be a lot slower and I hear these long necks are tough. But would love to use a handgun if its capable for the task.

I wanted to use my 454 Casull on my most recent Giraffe hunt, but as I was traveling to the South African location from my work in Angola, I was forced to use the weapons provided by the PH, as I have done on multiple trips with good success. There is no doubt in my mind that the 360 grain Buffalo Bore hard cast loads from the big revolver will do the trick in fine fashion if the shot is properly placed, but so far the largest animal that I have taken was a 1000 pound moose.

I have taken 3 mature giraffe bulls in the past. The first one I head shot with a 30.06. The second one was taken with a shoulder shot from a 416 Rigby, and the last one I killed with a crossbow. The crossbow kill was the most impressive and satisfying, as the bull only ran a very short distance after being hit dead center in the shoulder from a broadside position. It was a great experience that has pushed me further towards getting my own crossbow, but I can't decide which one to buy yet.

From what I have seen and heard, a giraffe isn't all that hard to take down with the right projectile and good shot placement, but if you shoot one poorly you are likely in for a very long day. Those long legs can cover a lot of ground in a short time!

Bullthrower no its a Super Six bison bull six shot revolver

its not as big as I was expecting ,
nice looking revolver.
can you post a picture of the ammo ?
is it the same size as the rounds from them lever guns ?

Yes exact same cartridge and maybe this will help scale it for you I'm 6'2" and stocky.

320158955150082851923189525999807895n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
damn , I take it back , that's a bloody hand canon ............
hows that make your wrists, elbows and shoulders feel after you unload it flat out
how far can you shoot accurately , with something like that ?
thanks for the pic

Recoil isn't bad muzzle climb is horrible and blow back can be dangerous so long sleeve shirt is a must and I can only shoot it accurate to 50 yards but I just might put a scope on it which should increase that.

Amon458 :W Revolver: I would suggest the scope, for a high neck shot for sure. Or one of the rifles.... You might get lucky enough to get in close, but have a :W A Rifle: along in case you get frustrated by that "high lookout"...

Maybe @billc can come on here and explain the fine details of running towards the truck if you don't drop him right away!:A Outta: He might also provide useful feedback on what it takes to bring one down after failing to do so on the first shot. :W A Bullets:

Or you could ask Pieter's view @Paw Print what happened. :W Jeep:(well, it would be a pink guy, not blue...)

Last edited:
Awesome, I forgot about that one, looks like a handful, how does it shoot?

I think its a hoot to shoot and yeah it can be a handful at times it weighs 6lbs unloaded.

I would also like to do a shoulder shot and not a neck shot. I think I know the answer but is this able to be done properly or would it be wise to just use something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!