First Rigby Playdate

Wildwillalaska

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
US/Mexico
Been resisting a little bit of a wild hair having a long desire for a Rigby working rifle but zero need for one here in Alaska. After finally deciding it was time for Africa and having a hunt next year I fell into another trip leaving here in a couple weeks. So with a need now present, my level of resistance immediately faltered.

Had a preowned Rigby Big Game .416 catch my eye on Griffin & Howe’s list. After some back and forth (with some kind assistance of a fellow forum member) a fair deal was struck with expedited shipping to get it here asap so I could hopefully get the permitting paper work submitted. As luck would have it, arrived yesterday just in time to jump on a flight up to Anchorage and roll into customs office just before closing.

Have a scope in route from a forum sponsor and some additional ammo, but needed to run some rounds through it for function and figured I’d see how I did with iron sights being as I hadn’t shot a rifle with iron sights in, well, not sure how just how many year, but a long time.

IMG_3201.jpeg
IMG_3193.jpeg
IMG_3203.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amongst running my kiddo to get nails and may gal and her little one to a birthday party, I snuck out to the range to run a few rounds. Surprised how bulky this rifle feels in comparison to my Dakota 375H&H, but also just how comfortable it was to shoot. As you can see, I need to regulate the sights a bit, but can live with it for first shots with iron sights. Target is only at 70yds.

After shooting several more rounds into a steel plate ant 100, off-hand, decided to shoot last three rounds off bench at 100yds, which opened up a bit. Not sure if my eyes failed me at the additional distance, the cold as I foolishly just wore a t-shirt which I was freezing in the wind, or just plain rushed it. Definitely enjoy shooting the rifle standing more than off the bench.

First three rounds were 400gr Federal Trophy Bonded Solids and then the next photo shows same target after three more Bonded Bear Claws. The white target was at 100 and is one solid and two bear claws.

IMG_3187.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg
IMG_3198.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome rifle, congrats! Those pics bring back a lot of memories. I’ve spent a lot of time on that range! Crazy Ray’s cannon launched a lot of bowling balls into the tundra in the background. Good times.

Beautiful rifle!

Congratulation, beautiful rifle! Pretty good shooting with irons. What kind of optics will you be mounting on it?

Nice shooting with iron sights.

Congratulations on the beautiful rifle.(y)

Very nice rifle, congratulations

Awesome rifle, congrats! Those pics bring back a lot of memories. I’ve spent a lot of time on that range! Crazy Ray’s cannon launched a lot of bowling balls into the tundra in the background. Good times.
Crazy rays cannon? Do tell

Crazy rays cannon? Do tell

Ray had a very impressive cannon that would launch a bowling ball 1000+ yards off the back of that range into the tundra. I can’t imagine how deeply those balls are buried!

He also had a bunch of pre-ban automatic weapons and a conex full of ammo. We had a lot of fun on that range!

Ray had a very impressive cannon that would launch a bowling ball 1000+ yards off the back of that range into the tundra. I can’t imagine how deeply those balls are buried!

He also had a bunch of pre-ban automatic weapons and a conex full of ammo. We had a lot of fun on that range!
We’re not allowed to have fun like that in canadastan, although I do know of a 2” naval swivel gun that’s unspiked and forsale locally I’m really interested in.

Reactions: WAB
Nice rifle.

I reckon I’ve shot on that range too….Kenai?

Reactions: WAB
She’s beautiful. Can’t wait to hear about your hunt with her.

Congratulation, beautiful rifle! Pretty good shooting with irons. What kind of optics will you be mounting on it?
Swaro Z8i 1-8x24, R&M here on the forum has it hot footing its way here now.

It should arrive early next week, so will likely go boom with it on iron sights again tomorrow on sticks. Need to see if I was pushing my head over the comb some trying to brace or if still hitting left even more upright off the sticks before drifting the rear sight.

Last edited:
Nice rifle.

I reckon I’ve shot on that range too….Kenai?
Yeppers, Kenai. Snow Shoe Gun Club. Some nice improvements the past several years punching the range out past 1,000 yards with numerous steel targets all the way out, newer 300yrd tactical rifle range, dedicated black powder range, additional pistol bays and same skeet/trap ranges.

several new houses for winter shooting—with wood stoves. But, with all the new additions and hard work put in, much of the old day fun doesn’t happen any more. No exploding or glass targets or the like. All class III still welcome of course.

It should arrive early next week, so will likely go boom with it on iron sights again tomorrow on sticks. Need to see if I was pushing my head over the comb some trying to brace or if still hitting left even more upright off the sticks before drifting the rear sight.

I wouldn’t drift that rear sight just yet. When I first got my SSB in 416 I was also shooting slightly to the left. Not so much now. I’m pretty sure that it was how I was holding her….and maybe the stock is a bit too long for me.

Anyway I’m not having any issues with her now. You’re going to love that Rigby.

Outstanding, perfect setup!

Thanks everyone. If any have some first-hand experience with the Recknagel Eramatic G9 mounts, shoot me a PM. Have a couple questions about the rear ring and cannot locate instructions anywhere.

Congratulations and welcome to the Rigby club! I have the same rifle and have already taken two cape buffalo and some plains game with it in Limpopo. You will love shooting it on safari. The Federal ammo you used on the range is exactly what you want in Africa. I used the Bear Claws and Swift A-Frames on my hunts.

Congratulation on a beautiful Rigby. I also have a 416 Rigby Big Game and I was amazed at the recoil. For my senses, it has less recoil than my CZ 550 Aramid stock 375 H&H. We have three Rigby's and all shot slightly left with the irons.

Safe shooting

Yeppers, Kenai. Snow Shoe Gun Club. Some nice improvements the past several years punching the range out past 1,000 yards with numerous steel targets all the way out, newer 300yrd tactical rifle range, dedicated black powder range, additional pistol bays and same skeet/trap ranges.

several new houses for winter shooting—with wood stoves. But, with all the new additions and hard work put in, much of the old day fun doesn’t happen any more. No exploding or glass targets or the like. All class III still welcome of course.

We had a lot of fun on that range. Glad to hear that it continues to improve!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard6789

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani