Finally got my Landi!

All these things are true:

-You check the fuel and fill up the oil

-The lucas electrical system isn’t broken, it never worked correctly to begin with

-You’ll have fun an look cool driving it

Congrats on your new hobby. It was a financially silly decision, one I intend to copy in the near future.
So very true!!! But fun!

Well done.

We are on a Land Rover trip at present.

Six vehicles in our packet - including two 6x6 variants - thousands of kms this week - lots of them off the bitumen - no issues, no oil leaks - just one puncture.

All are former Defence vehicles.

View attachment 593245

View attachment 593252

We’ve been to Craig’s Hut as featured in The Man from Snowy River.

View attachment 593249

And even dropped in to see the Kerrigans place at Bonnie Doon - from the film The Castle. Which is now available for holiday rentals if anyone here finds themselves in the High Country chasing Sambar deer :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 593248
Loved the movie and its sequel. New Zealand? Australia ?

OK so a discovery....and it has less than 10,000 miles a year on it from 2013....so that's around 80 to 90,000 miles on it now....mmmm.....
Correct. my cousin owns an auto repair shop. He gave it the full review. Changed every single fluid there is. Repaired one wheel berring. Everything else in great shape. Vehicle one owner always garages. We will see. I bought it with my eyes wide open

Lets see..

Over the years a 1973 Jaguar XJ6 and a 1982 Jaguar XJS V12.. Never experienced electrical trouble..the latter had LUCAS electronic injection...and hey..it worked..!

On my 2nd Range Rover now, a 2013 SDV8 (4.4l diesel)...108.000km..very pleased with it. The first a 2012 Range Rover sport SDV6...never any trouble.. These cars cost about the same to service as Landcruisers around here..

Brit cars are much better than their rumour..

Looking for a Series 3 109 Land Rover..

I am going a similar route this year as my 2018 4Runner is at 100K+ at the moment. I am in line to receive the new Lexus GX 550 Overtrail+ model sometime in April or May when they start getting shipped over from Japan.

Here is a review. Getting the same green color as in the video.

Dang @Tanks did you have to post that? That’s incredible. I’m thinking my wife may need to trade her Lexus in!

Of course you know why they drink warm beer in England? ---Lucas refrigerators!

My wife loves her Range Rover V8 turbo.... no issues. Best driving SUV I have ever experienced.

I've gone for rides in a couple Land Rover Range Rovers, but they were the older models of the 60's and 70's. Never owned one for the horror stories I heard. Always fancied an early 1990's Defender D90 soft top as an alternative to the two Jeep's I had at the time. Just never happened for me.

Congratulations @Rare Breed on the new whip. I'll pick up a sticker and send it your way. ;)
1710544331087.png

I finally did it! I sold my truck and bought a Land Rover LR4. No it is not @Kevin Peacocke s level with his beautiful Landi but it was the best I could do. It is an immaculate 2013 with less than 10,000 miles per year on her. The only problem is the dashboard looks like NASA with all the options; heated seats and steering wheel, 4 different 4 WD options…what’s wrong with just a simple High and Low? Seats 7 with seat belts yet seats fold down to just front two providing great carrying space. Already love it!!!
Pics?

Dang @Tanks did you have to post that? That’s incredible. I’m thinking my wife may need to trade her Lexus in!
I was originally doing research on the new Land Cruiser and the GX 550 kept on appearing on my YouTube feed. After watching a number of reviews, it was an easy decision to decide on that instead of the Land Cruiser.

Had it been a 110, I would have absolved you Rare Breed, and a 200Tdi, or even a 300Tdi, is still a Defender, so you would get a pass on this one too.

Of course, Kevin Peacocke has the real thing, and fears no EMP Russian or Chinese sneak attack, although a series II, or even a series III are likely more practical on a day to day basis.

But a LR4 has about as much to do with being a Land rover as a 6.5 Creedmoor has to do with being a kudu rifle... or as much as a Rogue River Merkel-based double has to do with a rising bite London Rigby.

At least Red Leg went for the acceptable (and infinitely more practical/reliable alternative) with the Land Cruiser 40.

My own heart stopped on the edge of the Hwange National Park in Zim, in 2021 with this one, owned by a delightful gentleman supervising the construction of a photo safari camp for a hunting outfitter I was booked with, and who wonderfully - and dare I say rightfully - despised him, but kept "drinking his whiskey" (i.e. cashing his paycheck). Kevin Peacocke might know the car and the gentleman :)

A true Land Rover.jpg

Rover Rhodesia - compressed.jpg

Hey! all in good humor, enjoy your new ride :)

Last edited:
I currently own four land rovers (88", 109", 110, and LR3). The LR3 has 250K and never been in the shop for other than fluid changes and brakes. I have had previously owned another 109" and D1. Never problems. My parents Toyota has all kinds of issues. She borrowed my 110 300tdi while their car was in the shop.

f0f579a08e9f5e31533b74036b50038c.jpg

Had it been a 110, I would have absolved you Rare Breed, and a 200Tdi, or even a 300Tdi, is still a Defender, so you would get a pass on this one too.

Of course, Kevin Peacocke has the real thing, and fears no EMP Russian or Chinese sneak attack, although a series II, or even a series III are likely more practical on a day to day basis.

But a LR4 has about as much to do with being a Land rover as a 6.5 Creedmoor has to do with being a kudu rifle... or as much as a Rogue River Merkel-based double has to do with a rising bite London Rigby.

At least Red Leg went for the acceptable (and infinitely more practical/reliable alternative) with the Land Cruiser 40.

My own heart stopped on the edge of the Hwange National Park in Zim, in 2021 with this one, owned by a delightful gentleman supervising the construction of a photo safari camp for a hunting outfitter I was booked with, and who wonderfully - and dare I say rightfully - despised him, but kept "drinking his whiskey" (i.e. cashing his paycheck). Kevin Peacocke might know the car and the gentleman :)

View attachment 593276

View attachment 593277

Hey! all in good humor, enjoy your new ride :)
I confess I do not, but it will be a Bulawayo vehicle and there are hundreds around there. Looks to be pretty original too.

Rare,

Ignore all the jealous folks posting rubbish. Landies are great vehicles. If you look at some of my previous posts, we've had a couple of prangs in them, and walked away without a scratch.

Like Rover and Brew, we're at 200K miles in a LR3. Sure, some maintenance, but nothing that I couldn't remedy. V8 is the only way to go, the V6 is far too under powered in this chassis.

Is that Kensington Blue? What wheel bearing was causing problems? For me it was a front, about the same mileage. Control arm bushings and tie rods tend to wear, so get good one's when they are due. Also get a code/fault reader for it. It will ease your mind. I think mine's a "FaultMate". Was around $250 if I recall, and has saved $$$ over the years. If you have any problems, hit me up.

Oh yeah, for those jealous one mentioned above ( I don't want to hear any backlash on XXX vehicle being better, it's your opinion, just as I have mine), We own a Series 1, 3 Defender 90's, A LR1 (Disco 1), and the Disco/LR3. Had a P38 Rangie, and well actually still do, but it's a bit tired now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.