bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
image.jpg
I found this on line and thought it deserved to be posted here on AH.

Beautiful rifle. From what I can recall about reading Green Hills of Africa, I don't believe he was very fond of this rifle due to its recoil, and ended up using his Griffin and Howe Springfield .30-06 for pretty much everything, including rhino.

This is the rifle he took out hunting submarines in the Pilar during the Second World War. Fortunately, he never found one!

Bill Jones now owns it (along with several other notable classics) and has taken it back to Africa.

Certainly a beauty!

Man wouldn't it be something to own this rifle!

can any member put a value on it , for interests sake ?

This is the rifle he took out hunting submarines in the Pilar during the Second World War. Fortunately, he never found one!

Bill Jones now owns it (along with several other notable classics) and has taken it back to Africa.

I like that Bill Jones still uses the rifles. It would be a shame for the rifle to spend its remaining days locked up, gathering dust somewhere.

This rifle had a pre-sale estimate of $150,000-$200,000 at James Julia's auction of Mar 15, 2011...............but as Clayton has correctly said, it went for quite a bit more...........and in the last 5 years may have appreciated beyond the $340K price ............FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronCarus

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.