Duty Free Booze

We were in the Virgin Islands in March with my wife’s brother and his wife. Most of the time was spent sailing on the British side. My wife and I spent a few days on St Thomas before we came home. The liquor in the stores was quite a bit less expensive than at home. Cruise ship customers don’t get as good a bargain.

We brought home a liter of Meyers, .750L of 10 year old Talisker and another .750L of scotch, forget which brand. All was much less expensive than in the states. I didn’t see any big bargains in the duty free.

Side note, unknown to me as I don’t wear jewelry, St Thomas is a destination spot for the ladies to get a deal on jewelry. My wife bought a Tanzanite piece at lower cost than stateside. You have to shop smart at a reputable jeweler.

Last year in Scotland I may have been too particular. It seemed liked pricing for liquor was about the same as home. They did have 0% alcohol liquor.
View attachment 549808
Yeah, that Tanzanite is pretty pricey. You'd think it would be less than big bore ammo pricing? LOL

Place in arusha that is probably cheaper than somewhere other side of the world....... :E Doh: :E Rofl:
Big bore ammo? LOL Seriously though, in about 2004, my wife and I went on a cruise with a stop in Jamaica. We went to a local jewelry store in a strip mall and she saw a Tanzanite bracelet priced at $24.99. She was going to buy it until it rang up at $2,499.00us! Silly Americans that don't get out much.

Just find it a pain in the ass carrying duty free booze...perfume etc etc....the madam seems fine with buying it though :X3::E Doh::E Rofl:
Yeah, that can be a pain.

Just find it a pain in the ass carrying duty free booze...perfume etc etc....the madam seems fine with buying it though :X3::E Doh::E Rofl:
Agreed, the price is always relevant to local prices. I checked out a 70cl bottle of Jameson Triple Distilled on a recent trip to Namibia.
Local price at home, Dublin duty free, Frankfurt duty free and Namibia.
it was cheapest in a grog shop in Namibia !

Agreed, the price is always relevant to local prices. I checked out a 70cl bottle of Jameson Triple Distilled on a recent trip to Namibia.
Local price at home, Dublin duty free, Frankfurt duty free and Namibia.
it was cheapest in a grog shop in Namibia !

Yeah if we go to a bottle store here it's a lot cheap than the supermarkets...and probably similar or cheaper than some duty free

I got two bottles of Eagle Rare for $55 bottle at the Houston Duty Free

I rarely bring any home - it's just too much trouble. I almost always do pick up something on the way out as a hunt warming gift for my PH and/or spouse. A really nice single malt (Africa) or big California cab (for Europe) is usually appreciated.

GOOD SCORE.
And for God's sake Seth do you realize how irritating all caps are? :oops:

We were in the Virgin Islands in March with my wife’s brother and his wife. Most of the time was spent sailing on the British side. My wife and I spent a few days on St Thomas before we came home. The liquor in the stores was quite a bit less expensive than at home.

We brought home a liter of Meyers, .750L of 10 year old Talisker and another .750L of scotch, forget which brand. All was much less expensive than in the states. I didn’t see any big bargains in the duty free.

Side note, unknown to me as I don’t wear jewelry, St Thomas is a destination spot for the ladies to get a deal on jewelry. My wife bought a Tanzanite piece at lower cost than stateside. You have to shop smart at a reputable jeweler. Cruise ship passengers may not get as good a bargain.

Last year in Scotland I may have been too particular. It seemed liked pricing for liquor was about the same as home. They did have 0% alcohol liquor.
View attachment 549808
My daughter and son-in-law brought me back some Cruzan single barrel rum from St. Thomas. The price was the same as in the North Carolina ABC stores. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you