DSC 2025 in Atlanta....are you going?

Are you planning to attend the DSC convention in Atlanta in 2025?

• Yes

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 31 26.3%

• Total voters
I wasn’t aware NOLA was a SCI future location…

I’ve got a daughter at LSU… I’ll keep NOLA on the radar… if/when the convention is there, I’ll definitely attend and combine with a Baton Rouge visit..
Jan 14-17, 2026 will be NOLA with GSCO on Sunday Jan 18 after.

Jan 14-17, 2026 will be NOLA with GSCO on Sunday Jan 18 after.

That I am definitely down for… SCI 2026 is going into the calendar tomorrow morning!

First let me say I really enjoy DSC in Dallas and not a fan of Atlanta at all. While the show will be in Atlanta I will change venues and be attending the SCI in Nashville. I feel both shows offers 95% of the same PH & Outfitters and probable SCI has a few more. Nashville is a fun city & good music opposed to car jacking & assaults on the streets.

The other reasons I am not planning on Atlanta:
1. Fanni Willis
2. Atlanta making the move of the MLB All Star Game

Had a TYHP youth hunt this last weekend so missed DSC. Bummer. Didn’t realize was moving
The convention center is being demolished and rebuilt.

This is a tough one. Like many Texans DSC is easy and we have many friends there. I am friends with several board members and the president of DSC. My knee jerk reaction is that if I have to fly I'd rather attend the Sheep Show than DSC. I voted maybe.

I've never been to any of the big shows, and since I'm only 2 hrs from Atlanta, there is a huge possibility that I will attend.

I hope all the vendors will access a new group of clients and have great success. That is what we told all our friends that are definitely not happy with the change. Many felt DSC was bullying them to go to Atlanta or lose their access when DSC returns to Dallas.

What if the new owners of the new Dallas convention center project say, "we don't want your kind" when DSC is ready to come back? I think that scenario is quite possible. I would like to know what Plan B is.

Mama and I plan not to attend DSC in Atlanta. We will be going to SCI. We decided if we wanted a change, let's do a big change.

For us, the best parts of DSC this year was @mdwest and family opening their home on Thursday for an AH get together. Great time and we thank you! We truly had a wonderful time. Then the AH dinner at Gilley's. Our table was quite entertaining, and we laughed so hard our ribs hurt. I enjoyed putting faces with names and meeting new people that I have chatted with here on AH. Visiting with Rigby is always a treat as well as visiting friends we have made over the years.

Safe hunting

In a word no. If I have a choice between Nashville and Atlanta it isn't a choice. We'll go to SCI. I wish them luck, but I have real concerns. They will get a lot of Southeastern deer hunters who will come kick tires, but I wonder how many will actually be interested in international hunts. New Orleans will be awesome.

Echoing both @Red Leg and @SFRanger7GP … several vendors I spoke with said they did no like how DSC handled the messaging… there are a number of frustrated and concerned people on the vendor side… if Atlanta doesn’t provide quality results for the vendors I fear the DSC show may start withering on the vine…

And to Red Legs point.. I was born and raised in the Southeast.. and later after leaving the region for a while returned and lived there another 10 years… I’ve hunted the region for more than 40 years and literally know hundreds of hunters very well across TN, AL, GA, LA, SC, NC, etc… many are well to do and fully capable financially of hunting overseas…

But very very few are interested…

It’s simply not part of the “culture” like it is in TX (the population of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee combined is roughly the same as the population of TX… where there is a very strong culture of international hunting, exotic hunting, ranch hunting, etc)…

New Orleans is close enough to Houston and Dallas that it will draw a sizable TX crowd… and Nashville is a very attractive city that most travelers are happy to visit for an event..

I think SCI made the much smarter move when it comes to finding somewhere else to host their annual convention..

Echoing both @Red Leg and @SFRanger7GP … several vendors I spoke with said they did no like how DSC handled the messaging… there are a number of frustrated and concerned people on the vendor side… if Atlanta doesn’t provide quality results for the vendors I fear the DSC show may start withering on the vine…

And to Red Legs point.. I was born and raised in the Southeast.. and later after leaving the region for a while returned and lived there another 10 years… I’ve hunted the region for more than 40 years and literally know hundreds of hunters very well across TN, AL, GA, LA, SC, NC, etc… many are well to do and fully capable financially of hunting overseas…

But very very few are interested…

It’s simply not part of the “culture” like it is in TX (the population of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee combined is roughly the same as the population of TX… where there is a very strong culture of international hunting, exotic hunting, ranch hunting, etc)…

New Orleans is close enough to Houston and Dallas that it will draw a sizable TX crowd… and Nashville is a very attractive city that most travelers are happy to visit for an event..

I think SCI made the much smarter move when it comes to finding somewhere else to host their annual convention..

Living in Alabama now, I’ve attended a number of the Birmingham SCI dinners. At least in this area, I’ve found quite the opposite. There are quite a few very serious international hunters in this area, and the chapter newsletter puts many outdoor rags to shame, including SCI’s. Some of the hunters here are very well known, Bill Jones comes to mind. He must be one of the most prolific collector and shooters of classic Safari rifles in the world.

Ann and I have attended DSC 3 times traveling from Florida to be there. We have family in San Antonio so we combined the visits. 2016 is the last time we attended. I have my calendar blocked for Atlanta and hope the outfitters, PHs, and other vendors attend as we will be talking face to face on a hunt for 2025 based upon my ongoing research. It will be strange to attend DSC in a state other than Texas.

I’ll be skipping Atl and possibly hitting Nashville instead

First let me say I really enjoy DSC in Dallas and not a fan of Atlanta at all. While the show will be in Atlanta I will change venues and be attending the SCI in Nashville. I feel both shows offers 95% of the same PH & Outfitters and probable SCI has a few more. Nashville is a fun city & good music opposed to car jacking & assaults on the streets.

Oh Atlanta is no different than any major city. You have lots of crime in bad areas and little crime in tourist areas. I don’t see Atlanta as being any different than Nashville or Dallas on that front.

Great restaurants. The aquarium and world of coke are cool if the convention isn’t enough entertainment.

Living in Alabama now, I’ve attended a number of the Birmingham SCI dinners. At least in this area, I’ve found quite the opposite. There are quite a few very serious international hunters in this area, and the chapter newsletter puts many outdoor rags to shame, including SCI’s. Some of the hunters here are very well known, Bill Jones comes to mind. He must be one of the most prolific collector and shooters of classic Safari rifles in the world.
From living in Birmingham I’d agree with @WAB. Both Birmingham and Atlanta have a pretty sizeable number of international hunters. I find they keep it a little quieter. There are also a lot of tire kickers (world deer expo crowd). With African Safari’s seeming to pickup in popularity I sincerely hope the venues change converts a lot of Hunters into planning a hunt. I personally feel outfitters with a low cost barrier, and certain business model (like is discussed in other threads) will likely benefit for by the move. I expect a lot of new faces to bid on the silent auctions, many without doing research. As stated before that business model does help to get a lot of people to Africa for the first time and bit by the bug, despite not being everyone’s cup of tea. Having been to the NRA Show when it was in Atlanta, as well as SCI Chapter events in Birmingham and Atlanta I think it will do decent and I really hope expand African Hunting Horizons while growing DSC’s membership into a new area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iwin72

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani