Disturbing trend on TV

Always liked Under Wild Skies but that is to some extent because Tony is a friend. Still it had great production values and never a hint of the high five nonsense. He also knows history and good literature (along with a good wine and cigar). He had a great concept. His and his spouse's day jobs more than adequately paid the rent. The show and sponsor content were designed purely to cover the show's own expenses for six weeks of hunting - in the last decade or so just in Africa. Pretty good planning.

I remember the American Sportsman , it was good but I was pretty young. I did like Under Wild Skies as well. The 3 shows I follow now are Tracks Across Africa, This is Africa and Hornadys Dark and Dangerous. The North American shows hold little interest for me now but I will watch some waterfowl (my first love in hunting)shows and some that are going to feature Alaska ( a place I want to hunt).The whitetail and hog shows serve a purpose I guess for some of the people that haven’t had the privilege to travel and hunt like many of us here. But the lack of some ethical behavior ( at least to me ) is appalling especially group limits in waterfowl. When I hunt I want to shoot my own birds and no more and no less.

I share the disgust with unfortunately nearly all hunting videos . . .

But I can recommend the Billy Molls Modern Day Mountain Man videos on Youtube.
Perhaps the "Gold Standard" of hunting videos . . check those out.

You can enjoy any sort of hunting the world round on the YouTube channel. I ditched cable with the Advent of the smart (Wi-Fi internet based) TV, and away went most of the BS! Got my 80-year-old mother a smart TV for her birthday... For someone who despises TV she's now binge watching at night and during bad weather.

I stopped watching the Outdoor channel all together sometime back. Originally got it and a couple other so called hunting based ones due to the package of channels I had to get so the better half could get channels she wanted. Keeping her happy is pretty important in the grand scheme of things, so we still get all this programming that I never watch. Another issue all together.

All the shows I used to watch on Outdoors were 30 minutes in length, 15 minutes of commercial based advertisements, 10 minutes of advertisements in the name of their hunting equipment / outfitter / cartridges etc,, and 5 minutes of so called hunting. The sublime advertisement is all about this weeks new "6.5 We're Running out of Names for Them" cartridge. blah blah blah

Especially the long range for long range's sake. A target takes two steps either left or right, even backwards, and you're off by feet. Worse it's terribly hit and by the time the hunting entourage gets to the impact zone, it's got a substantial head start. So what do we do? We come back tomorrow! Brilliant... Typically after the coyotes or wolves or bears have had their turn. Again, a topic for another thread.

And the whole "he's a shooter!" crap. Then there is what appears to be "self recreation" in the treestand ot hunting blind after an animal is shot and does go down. Keep it in your pants boys.

There are a couple of good shows on, but far outweighed by the just plain bad to ethically terrible ones.

Matt

What would you say has changed with This is Africa? That’s disappointing to hear. I’ve been waiting for them to be put on YouTube.
A couple of episodes were spent night shooting Hyena with thermal scopes. I‘ve hunted with thermal. It’s fun….but not interested in seeing it on a Safari show. Plus, the lady no longer appears on the show!

A couple of episodes were spent night shooting Hyena with thermal scopes. I‘ve hunted with thermal. It’s fun….but not interested in seeing it on a Safari show. Plus, the lady no longer appears on the show!
I didn’t much care for the thermal hyena hunts either, it was a PAC hunt so it was probably justifiable but didn’t want to see it on a safari show either. I also thought Michelle brought a lot to TIA.

I’m back to getting three channels in Montana, I’d rather read a book or AH then suffer through anything on TV anymore. Between the adds with boys kissin and all the other shit I don’t buy into I’m a lot better off since I got rid of the dish. Most of the “hunting shows” are just a promotion of one thing or another and make me want to vomit.
IN Australia a well known brand of potato chip has a tv add with to men kissing i will not buy any of that brand again, i feel like writing to them to to express my disgust but they properly would not give a shit.

IN Australia a well known brand of potato chip has a tv add with to men kissing i will not buy any of that brand again, i feel like writing to them to to express my disgust but they properly would not give a shit.
Those will go well with Butt Light.

Get smart TV (watch anything you like!) Get rid of cable/satellite/etc. Est. Savings: $175/mo; $2,000/yr; $20,000/decade. Go on safari 1-2x per decade using the savings. -no charge

*it's the little things that rob many Americans: (hit DD or SB for coffee & sandwich/doughnut/etc.; same applies to McDs-when you can pack your own, better lunch each day at work.) $15/day; $300/mo; $3,600/yr; $36,000/decade-get rid of your fast food and you just added 3 add'l. safaris/decade. Of course, if you invest the savings wisely, you'll eventually be paying for safaris out of the interest alone!

This logic can be applied with every bill you receive, to varying degrees. As one author wrote; Your Money or Your Life!

**Don't EVER Vote Dem; Under Jose Bi Dem, I lost about $400,000. That's a lifetime of Safaris, possibly including a custom Landcruiser!

Last edited:
Get smart TV (watch anything you like!) Get rid of cable/satellite/etc. Est. Savings: $175/mo; $2,000/yr; $20,000/decade. Go on safari 1-2x per decade using the savings. -no charge

*it's the little things that rob many Americans: (hit DD or SB for coffee & sandwich/doughnut/etc.; same applies to McDs-when you can pack your own, better lunch each day at work.) $15/day; $300/mo; $3,600/yr; $36,000/decade-get rid of your fast food and you just added 3 add'l. safaris/decade. Of course, if you invest the savings wisely, you'll eventually be paying for safaris out of the interest alone!

This logic can be applied with every bill you receive, to varying degrees. As one author wrote; Your Money or Your Life!

**Don't EVER Vote Dem; Under Jose Bi Dem, I lost about $400,000. That's a lifetime of Safaris, possibly including a custom Landcruiser!
Excellent post! Add in the savings from NOT buying Lottery tickets;)

"Make" yourself a winner by the choices you make each year, each month, each week and each day.

I totally agree. Just one thing with the food example at $15 a day that equals 450 (15x30) per month which equals to 45,000 after a decade as opposed to 36,000.

Its crazy how much money you can save by not eating out much. I eat out once a week usually on a friday or saturday. All the other times i eat home. This allows me to eat out once week (get some enjoyment), eat high quality home made food (for health and performance) and still have money to save. All achieved by eating out only once a week. Hardly a sacrifice.

I share the disgust with unfortunately nearly all hunting videos . . .

But I can recommend the Billy Molls Modern Day Mountain Man videos on Youtube.
Perhaps the "Gold Standard" of hunting videos . . check those out.
His videos are amazing.

I totally agree. Just one thing with the food example at $15 a day that equals 450 (15x30) per month which equals to 45,000 after a decade as opposed to 36,000.

Its crazy how much money you can save by not eating out much. I eat out once a week usually on a friday or saturday. All the other times i eat home. This allows me to eat out once week (get some enjoyment), eat high quality home made food (for health and performance) and still have money to save. All achieved by eating out only once a week. Hardly a sacrifice.
lol my Brother's the accountant; i was rounding in the favor of the avg working class person!!! :p IF you are a Consumer, YOU waste an attrocious amount of money or need a new wife (even if a non-hunter!!!) ;)

I have a legitiment question. Has anyone noticed a trend or fad for left handed people shooting a right handed bolt gun ? I once saw a know it all hunting buff this way and after several shots he got in fairly close and the shot went click— no shells— I quit watching

The only reasons I can see would be, grew up shooting right handed rifles because that was what was available or affordable and have gotten so comfortable with it they see no reason to change. Only speculation of course.

I have a legitiment question. Has anyone noticed a trend or fad for left handed people shooting a right handed bolt gun ? I once saw a know it all hunting buff this way and after several shots he got in fairly close and the shot went click— no shells— I quit watching
I saw a show on youtube in Africa where the host shot right handed...but with his left eye. I shit you not! Never in my life. Goofiest thing I have ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GennieL592

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.