Dalton York Safaris Re-sign The Omay for 5 years

MP posted that he had Omay north knowing good and well that many people myself included had hunts booked and deposits in for that area…. I thought that was bad form; especially since Dalton Tinks last posts were 2015 advertising for MP in good faith when he worked for MP.

Why would MP abandon Omay North and then try to get it back after a former employee invested so much time and money????

I know what it’s like to have a former employer try to sabotage business dealings and that’s what it seemed like to me.
If the area was up for bid and the previous outfitter’s lease was expiring, Martin did nothing wrong. Perhaps your ire is misplaced if your outfitter was booking future safaris for years in advance that were not included on the current lease term. Unfortunately, this happens all the time when outfitters assume they will get a lease renewed but it is actually up for competitive bidding or negotiations.

I’ve received some PMs from other members/friends. Seems Martin had completely given up the Omay. Some say voluntarily. Then later he wanted it back and tried to get it back through the local chief but not the government. This is the problem with both the government and the local community having a say in the matter. I’ve seen other areas and outfitters get in disputes like this when the government and community might be persuaded to not be on the same page. TIA!!

If the area was up for bid and the previous outfitter’s lease was expiring, Martin did nothing wrong. Perhaps your ire is misplaced if your outfitter was booking future safaris for years in advance that were not included on the current lease term. Unfortunately, this happens all the time when outfitters assume they will get a lease renewed but it is actually up for competitive bidding or negotiations.
I booked a July 2024 hunt in January 2023 so it wasn’t years, but 18 months in advance; so again I find your comparison non-equivalent.

Especially because MP was the one who advertised that he had Omay North for the next 5 years, when once again it has already been settled that D&Y has retained it for the dates I booked.

Having said that, I sincerely hope this leads to more cooperation between the two companies; as cooperative competition is always more profitable that cut throat competition.

I booked a July 2024 hunt in January 2023 so it wasn’t years, but 18 months in advance; so again I find your comparison non-equivalent.

Especially because MP was the one who advertised that he had Omay North for the next 5 years, when once again it has already been settled that D&Y has retained it for the dates I booked.

Having said that, I sincerely hope this leads to more cooperation between the two companies; as cooperative competition is always more profitable that cut throat competition.
Yes but the lease was through 2022 and sounds like the government was slow to renew. Season is already going.

Yes but the lease was through 2022 and sounds like the government was slow to renew. Season is already going.
Yes but bottom line….. MP does not have it and apparently NEVER had the rights to say so since leaving the property.

So again… The only person who advertised a lease they didn’t own was MP!

Spin it however you want but that is the answer to this equation.

Scott, I have read your comments and have to chime in.

The timing of MP post claiming rights to the Omay was definitely premature and to be fair, I believe it was intended to cause confusion and concern amongst D&Y’s clients and potential clients.

As you correctly say, it IS a small industry and personally I found the approach to be very unbecoming of a “professional” outfit. MP knew full well that it was far from settled when he made his announcement. Call it poor judgement, call it what you want……..but it wasn’t cool.

There are plenty of outfitters and PH’s who compete and cooperate really well across Southern Africa, which given the small size of the Zim PH industry makes this entire thing leave a bad taste.

This was the reason that I started the thread, to set the record straight. I didn’t want to leave a post with his misleading “title” as the last say about the Omay. People booking and looking to book, can get some accurate fair info now.

I certainly tried not to start a finger pointing exercise - I hope you will agree - so maybe let’s just leave this with the view that we now know who has the rights to the Omay and hunters can book with confidence.

That’s my 5 cents.

Scott, I have read your comments and have to chime in.

The timing of MP post claiming rights to the Omay was definitely premature and to be fair, I believe it was intended to cause confusion and concern amongst D&Y’s clients and potential clients.

As you correctly say, it IS a small industry and personally I found the approach to be very unbecoming of a “professional” outfit. MP knew full well that it was far from settled when he made his announcement. Call it poor judgement, call it what you want……..but it wasn’t cool.

There are plenty of outfitters and PH’s who compete and cooperate really well across Southern Africa, which given the small size of the Zim PH industry makes this entire thing leave a bad taste.

This was the reason that I started the thread, to set the record straight. I didn’t want to leave a post with his misleading “title” as the last say about the Omay. People booking and looking to book, can get some accurate fair info now.

I certainly tried not to start a finger pointing exercise - I hope you will agree - so maybe let’s just leave this with the view that we now know who has the rights to the Omay and hunters can book with confidence.

That’s my 5 cents.
Well said.

While it’s good news for Dalton & York, I’m sure it’s disappointing for Martin, especially since Dalton previously worked under Martin. As someone in the outfitting industry, it’s never a happy moment when a previous employee that you groomed now competes against you for areas and ranches. Happened to me once but I overcame it later. There’s no loyalty in this world anymore and that’s unfortunate for all sides. All it does is drive up prices. See below. I have not hunted with either company. Just making an observation.

Good evening thank you for your concern and comments but officially misinformed. I left Martin in 2018 to start on my own and free lanced it was all amicable and we were still very close . Unfortunately it’s not about loyalty in this circumstance it’s about right and wrong many thanks

While it’s good news for Dalton & York, I’m sure it’s disappointing for Martin, especially since Dalton previously worked under Martin. As someone in the outfitting industry, it’s never a happy moment when a previous employee that you groomed now competes against you for areas and ranches. Happened to me once but I overcame it later. There’s no loyalty in this world anymore and that’s unfortunate for all sides. All it does is drive up prices. See below. I have not hunted with either company. Just making an observation.

@Scott CWO, respectfully, I disagree. To me, it's always been a happy moment when someone I've hired and trained has gone on to spread their wings and do their own thing, even it that's competing against me. Keeps me on my toes, and proves what great judgment I have!

You say there's no loyalty in this world anymore. I'm not sure that the only way for someone to display loyalty is to either remain your employee for their career, or move into a line of business different from that which they know. My experience is that the way to retain the loyalty of the best employees - and the best employees are always the ones who think like owners - is to make them co-owners. Otherwise, we should be happy to stand aside and see them thrive.

@Scott CWO, respectfully, I disagree. To me, it's always been a happy moment when someone I've hired and trained has gone on to spread their wings and do their own thing, even it that's competing against me. Keeps me on my toes, and proves what great judgment I have!

You say there's no loyalty in this world anymore. I'm not sure that the only way for someone to display loyalty is to either remain your employee for their career, or move into a line of business different from that which they know. My experience is that the way to retain the loyalty of the best employees - and the best employees are always the ones who think like owners - is to make them co-owners. Otherwise, we should be happy to stand aside and see them thrive.
I appreciate your perspective. What industry are you in?

As an outfitter, ranches that allow hunting are hard to find. Ranches that will lease to an outfitter are even harder to find. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some industries are in a bigger, open marketplace such as selling widgets to a huge nationwide market or any number of other large industries with lots of products, suppliers and customers to go around. Quality ranches and government permits/leases are very hard to find and small in number.

I am very good to my employees and have guides that have been with me for 20+ years. Most are close friends that would never stab me in the back or try to take a lease away from me. I pay them more than anyone in the industry and they have company credit cards and incur no out of pocket expenses. However, I was once burned and new guides now sign non-compete documents. I don’t force anyone to work for me but if they choose to, I expect loyalty and a big work ethic. In exchange, they are paid more than the industry standard, work in a very organized environment, have top quality equipment available to them and good clients who tip.

Good evening thank you for your concern and comments but officially misinformed. I left Martin in 2018 to start on my own and free lanced it was all amicable and we were still very close . Unfortunately it’s not about loyalty in this circumstance it’s about right and wrong many thanks
Good to know. Thanks for your clarifying response. As I said in later posts, I received more information from some of your clients as to the specific issues at hand. I wish you nothing but the best.

I appreciate your perspective. What industry are you in?

As an outfitter, ranches that allow hunting are hard to find. Ranches that will lease to an outfitter are even harder to find. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some industries are in a bigger, open marketplace such as selling widgets to a huge nationwide market or any number of other large industries with lots of products, suppliers and customers to go around. Quality ranches and government permits/leases are very hard to find and small in number.

I am very good to my employees and have guides that have been with me for 20+ years. Most are close friends that would never stab me in the back or try to take a lease away from me. I pay them more than anyone in the industry and they have company credit cards and incur no out of pocket expenses. However, I was once burned and new guides now sign non-compete documents. I don’t force anyone to work for me but if they choose to, I expect loyalty and a big work ethic. In exchange, they are paid more than the industry standard, work in a very organized environment, have top quality equipment available to them and good clients who tip.
We have non-compete documents as well, but Covid seemed to remove any loyalty to companies anymore, even with legal protections. We see many individuals in our industry move from one distributor to the next without blinking an eye for any reason. I’ve been involved in interviews and the work history I see now is really pathetic, very few care about work ethic or growing with a company, just what can I get right now and for how long. It will only get worse as our latest generation as a whole has needed to do less and less with the advancement of technology, but they feel entitled to make more or receive more.

Congratulations @Dalton Tink. I’m looking forward to reading all these upcoming hunt reports from the Omay from your hunters.
Good luck

Yes but bottom line….. MP does not have it and apparently NEVER had the rights to say so since leaving the property.

So again… The only person who advertised a lease they didn’t own was MP!

Spin it however you want but that is the answer to this equation.
I don’t think that’s an accurate description of what happened. I do believe that MP was awarded the Omay. It is my understanding there were appeals, perhaps multiple appeals, a second tender, and maybe even an arbitration.

I have no dog in this fight. I don’t know either party involved. I do know that both have an excellent reputation,

They both wanted the same piece of the pie. They fought over it legally. It appears to be sorted out now. Hopefully it hasn’t ruined their relationship with one another.

I don’t believe there is any reason for the safari consumer to have any negative feelings towards either party based on the dispute over the most recent tender.

I’m happy for everyone that it is over and that they can get back to doing what they do best.

As someone who both provides hunts as an outfitter and books hunts as a hunter (sees both sides of the industry), I would advise you all to ask your outfitters before booking (especially when booking well in advance) as to how long the lease where you are hunting is in effect and if it expires before or after your hunt. Seems it is quite common in Africa for outfitters to accept bookings well in advance even when their leases don’t extend that far. That’s probably acceptable if they let you know something could change and have a fair refund policy. If they persuade you to hunt another ranch or concession, that’s fine but you should know where you are hunting before your trip.

As someone who both provides hunts as an outfitter and books hunts as a hunter (sees both sides of the industry), I would advise you all to ask your outfitters before booking (especially when booking well in advance) as to how long the lease where you are hunting is in effect and if it expires before or after your hunt. Seems it is quite common in Africa for outfitters to accept bookings well in advance even when their leases don’t extend that far. That’s probably acceptable if they let you know something could change and have a fair refund policy. If they persuade you to hunt another ranch or concession, that’s fine but you should know where you are hunting before your trip.
Thats a question I always ask now if not booking the year of the hunt.

Keep beating that dead horse Scott!….. He might just get up and take saddle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tooter57

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!