Cat hunters

jimmywallstreet

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I’m curious as to whether or not there are fellow cat hunters out there and how many of the SCI’s cats of the world you have successfully hunted? Which was the most difficult?

I'm interested in reading this. I've only hunted 2 cats, Mt. Lion & Caracal. Cats are very interesting animals.

I actually have hunted several specimens of 2 different types: bobcat and mountain lion. I’ve been lucky enough to see a Mexican puma near the TX border once and plan to hunt leopard next in Africa. Here’s some pics from a few hunts
IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_1227.jpeg
IMG_0334.jpeg
IMG_0911.jpeg
December 12, 2007 012.jpeg
December 12, 2007 004.jpeg
Old camera photos 032.jpeg

Royal Bengal tiger (all man eaters)
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2285.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg

African lion
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg

Also African leopard. Photographs are inside one of the albums in my study, which I will eventually find one weekend and upload here (hopefully soon).

Hands down, I’ve found Royal Bengal tiger to be the most difficult. Here are the accounts of how I hunted the second and third ones:

Cats are fascinating. I have never hunted a mountain lion, but have several bobcats and a leopard to my credit. Finding a taxidermist with a clue how to realistically portray any of them is the challenge.

leopard1.jpg

Cats are fascinating. I have never hunted a mountain lion, but have several bobcats and a leopard to my credit. Finding a taxidermist with a clue how to realistically portray any of them is the challenge.

View attachment 557247

Agreed, that’s a nice leopard mount, but they are few and far between. I’ve decided to flat skin my leopard for that very reason. Even the guys who are good on cats turn out some that just don’t look right. I would be heartbroken to shoot a good leopard and receive a poor mount.

As far as my cat experience, I’ve shot a few lynx and what must be a couple dozen bobcat. I had the oddest experience a few years back. Sitting in a stand on our farm a large bobcat jumped up on a log about seventy yards out. I killed it. Five minutes later another large bobcat jumped up on the same log and I killed it as well. Figuring the deer hunt was over, I walked to the log and there were the two bobcat, one laying on the other.

I’ve got a Cheetah and a Leopard and that’s about all I wanted in the way of cats. The. Cheetah was a old animal that walked in when we where looking for Jackals, the Leopard was on my fourth try.

@Catchaser is a slayer of the felines. Hopefully, he will chime in on the convo.

As for myself, I enjoy hunting them. I have only successfully taken a lion, but I have hunted mountain lion numerous times as well as bobcats. Save for the edibility of elk, mountain lion is my favorite animal to hunt

I like hunting cats. I am somewhat obsessed.

This is neat seeing these photos.

I have run a pack of lion, bobcat and bear hounds in Idaho for the past dozen years.

My pack has caught about 130 mountain lions and four bobcats. Besides elephant hunting, mountain lions are my favorite.

Species killed include:
-mountain lions (personally 3...many have been shot over my dogs for friends and family)
-bobcats (3...2 with hounds, 1 calling)
-caracal
-African lion
-African wild cat
(hoping to add some in the coming months)

Something neat about cats for sure.

As far as difficultly, I can only speak as a houndsman...bobcats are a bitch to catch. Mountain lions are called mountain sloths among hound guys. Bobcats adopt a quick, stiff-legged walk and I've had them stay 200-300 yards in front of the dogs from jumping the cat at 7:30am until 4:00pm before climbing. Just zig-zags and figure eights, walking in deer and elk tracks, etc. Extremely crafty. Mountain lions do a full-out bound and gas out in 200 yards from the jump.

Last edited:
Great pics, have taken mountain lion, bobcat, leopard, lion, caracal and hope to hunt BC lynx and the smaller African cats soon

Leopard Botswana 9.6.23.jpg

Kalahari Desert, Botswana, Leopard with hounds. September 6, 2023. Day 5 of 10 day hunt. Just got back to the States a couple of days ago.

I plan to type up and post a hunt report this weekend with more photographs.

Nice cats everyone. They are truly special. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Leopard Botswana Sept.6.2023.jpg

I’m curious as to whether or not there are fellow cat hunters out there and how many of the SCI’s cats of the world you have successfully hunted? Which was the most difficult?
Leopard is the answer to your question.
for me I have hunted bobcat (many), mountain lion, African lion, 2 x leopard, African wildcat, serval, caracal.
I would love to hunt lynx at some point.

Shot my leopard 42 minutes into my first sit, so i would have to say mountain lion was my most difficult- he wouldnt stay treed, so we chased him nearly 9 miles before i got him thru tough terrain - one of the toughest hunts i have been on, but sometimes they tree 200 yards from the truck‍♀️

I’ve shot and trapped quite a few bobcats and 1 leopard. I am scheduled to hunt mountain lion this upcoming winter. The dream for me would be an African lion. Maybe one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarolHagen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.