Cat hunters

Having just spent 2 weeks with a South Texas Bobcat hunter I can somewhat appreciate the complexity of Bobcat hunting and it seems to be a true test for good hounds.

I’m curious as to whether or not there are fellow cat hunters out there and how many of the SCI’s cats of the world you have successfully hunted? Which was the most difficult?
I also find Cats fascinating to hunt and have hunted Mountain Lion (Idaho & BC), Lynx (BC), and Bobcat (Texas, Maine). For Mountain lion it’s all about the hounds - the chase. On my 2nd Idaho hunt we finally struck a big track and treed a nice Tom. The Guide & I got to the tree first, big male panting heavily on a low tree limb (only 15’ feet above the ground) - as relaxed as a house cat and the baying “single hound” barking below him was of No concern. MY guide suggested I shoot the cat with my .357 revolver (it was only 25’ shot) but we instead waited for my friend to arrive at the Tree - know this would be his only chance to ever get a Cat because it treed only 100 yrds from a road and was an easy downhill walk (he was older and not in good shape). I was fine with that because all the excitement was over - the shot would be like shooting a fat squirrel. We waited for my friend to make his way down to the tree - he shot it 2x w/.243 and it fell but ran 100 yrds before expiring. It was a great Idaho Tom, well above average and guide estimated 165-180 lbs (Guides always over estimate) but it had a Big pumpkin Head. I was thrilled for my Friend and it was his “trophy of a lifetime”. I’ve gone on another Mountain Lion/combo Lynx hunt in BC. After my Son and I killed our Lynx over hounds on Day 3....we concentrated the next 5 days hunting for Mountain Lion and although we cut fresh Lion tracks daily - never cut a Big track so I went home w/out my lion again. I still want a Mountain Lion and only a Big one will do - for me the kill is too easy to be satisfied with a small or average Cat - the “thrill” is the chase.
My most exciting cat hunt ever - when I called in a Bobcat in Texas, a very good 25lb Tom trotted by just before sunset and I took him at 20 yrds w/12ga #2s. Cat was well spotted and my life size mount came out great (Kanati Taxidermy in PA). I rank that experience and Trophy at the top of any game I’ve taken (well above my Alaskan Griz) only my 1st whitetail, bear w/a bow, & Bull Elk can compare. It’s just Me but Cats are fascinating and I’d love to take a Leopard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanaBirre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.