Cartridges We Can Live Without...

Al, I think you pretty well covered it with one exception. The .223 could be replaced by the 06 with 110 gr bullets. A light load for varmints and playing around and with the range to reach out beyond the .223. I think everything else is pretty much duplication of the other 4 calibers.

I myself am glad that we don't have to choose from one or two cartridges in the shooting world, how dull that would be.

I even like shooting wildcat cartridges where I have to size, trim, and fire form my own brass out of a different parent case. While they can be a pain in the rear they are fun to shoot and even more enjoyable when you take a animal with one knowing that very few others are shooting that round.

While the .300 and .375 H&H are quite capable for any animal on the face of the earth how about the other rounds that Holland and Holland came out with such as the .275 H&H mag, or even the .244 H&H mag along with a few others.

Now that .244 H&H would be a fun round to play around with.
I would love it if the 244 H&H were to make a comeback. For that matter, I would also like to replicate it by necking down the 375 Ruger. Give the rifle some beautiful wood and you would have thoroughly modern update of the Lloyd rifle that few could pass up.

Al, I think you pretty well covered it with one exception. The .223 could be replaced by the 06 with 110 gr bullets. A light load for varmints and playing around and with the range to reach out beyond the .223. I think everything else is pretty much duplication of the other 4 calibers.

I do think the .223, or a light centrefire of some sort has it's place. After all, even a 110gr .30 is a lot more bullet, recoil, cost and pack weight than a 55gr .22. There is of course a reason why so many militaries went to a cartridge of this size after all.

Plus, having a .223 gives a better option for LR varminting than a .30 and better performance for smaller species like fox, roe, smaller PG, whilst also enabling people to use AR type platforms if they so desire.

I suppose the final cosideration is that it seems quite a jump from .22lr straight to a 30, whilst having that .223 makes it an equivalent size jump (in my mind) as say .30-06 to .375 or .375 to .458

Al

Al, you are correct of course. But I have a fondness for single shot and Double rifles. So I "need" my 7x57r, 9.3x74r and .450-400. Makes no logical sense, to anyone but me.

You can have a double in .30-06 or all manner of rimless cartridges if you so wish. I don't subscribe to such silliness personally, but we have the technology! Plus ballistically there aint much in7x57r vs 30-06 or 9.3x74r vs 375H&H or 450-400 vs 458lott. In fact, I think the rimless options offer more in every size!

Al.

So, are you saying that in the past 100 years, the newer technology in powders, primers and bullets has not produced any better cartridges? Let me guess, the .30-06 is the best cartridge and nobody needs anything else?
Actually it is the 9.3x62. The better bullets and powders have made this grand old cartridge great.

:A Stirring: We can live without all belted magnums up to and including the .375 caliber and probably quite a few more above that.:E Horrified:

Any cartiddge made after WWI.

I would move that to WW II but essentially agree. On the Ruger 375 and 416, I know people hate belted magnums these days but the 375 H&H still seems to be doing fine. How many more Ruger rifles would they have sold if they had made those rifles in 375 H&H and 416 Rem at the same price point?

:A Stirring: We can live without all belted magnums up to and including the .375 caliber and probably quite a few more above that.:E Horrified:
Ha!
You a funny guy...very funny guy.

So, are you saying that in the past 100 years, the newer technology in powders, primers and bullets has not produced any better cartridges? Let me guess, the .30-06 is the best cartridge and nobody needs anything else?
What is your point? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you