Bigger than .375H&H but with factory ammo readily available

416 rigby has some pretty nifty performance, I’m especially intrigued by it’s penetration of armor. But I’ve never seen it for sale on a gunstore shelf. I can usually count on seeing 458 win mag next to 375 h&h at larger gun stores.
Whatever are you referring to? World War I era counter sniper operations?

416 rigby has some pretty nifty performance, I’m especially intrigued by it’s penetration of armor. But I’ve never seen it for sale on a gunstore shelf. I can usually count on seeing 458 win mag next to 375 h&h at larger gun stores.
I have punched early-production Barnes X through 1/2inch bisalloy plate; made some observers scrape their chins on the gravel ...

Lots of people talk about it but in all my trips to Africa, I’ve never lost my own ammunition.
I’ve never had ammunition lost, but I did have a scope break on one of my rifles due to a bad drop and ended up having to use my 416 on nearly everything over a 24 days hunt in Botswana. I ended up having bumming some 416 Hoffman ammo from Neville Peake (some of you know his wife, Debbie Peake) in Maun. I was damn fortunate that he had a 416 Hoffman.

I came home with about 40 rounds of 338 and just a few leftover 416 rounds. BTW, the 416 is a hell of a springbok caliber! :ROFLMAO:

Currently in SA. I vote Lott. :). Effective on buffalo and impala. Dang it. Pictures won’t attach from the bush. In any event, .458 win/Lott is a solid choice.

Oops. Maybe just one at a time. Will limit it to one buff. Just rest assured to Lott is a fine impala rifle.

21D64DC5-BB73-4F80-8FE3-DD2F34CE4D4A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made it back for breakfast. Proper impala rifle in a pinch. .416 is a great rifle in several flavors, however, the relatively moderate distinction between the .375s and the .416s would make the .458 my choice.

ED9CECEE-033A-4659-A7ED-27BE2904798E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having checked my yearly journals, here’s what I can list to help.

.416 Rigby
.416 Remington Magnum
.458 Winchester Magnum
.458 Lott

Factory loaded ammunition for these 4 are offered by:
Barnes (T.S.X & round nosed monolithic solids)
Federal (Trophy Bonded Bear Claw & Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solids)
Hornady (D.G.X & D.G.S)
Norma (monolithic solids only)
Nosler (Partition only)

As someone who has recently started looking for all of these big cartridges I have to say that of the >0.40 stuff, these would be the most to least available (and affordable)

.416 Rem > .416 Ruger ? .416 Rigby

.458 WM > 458 Lott > .404 Jeffery

.470 NE > All other NE cartridges

of the really big stuff Ive only ever seen 500NE in stock (at $270/box!).

Haven't seen any 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery in stock anywhere.

416 Remington or 458 Lott.
This having both, they are easier to come by. I can't comment on 458 win,

470NE is also readily available as far as double rifles.go.

Just what I have noticed, I try to research before I buy. Looking at ammo seek and see what has the most stock. That will help you better than any pole you can make.

You fine gentlemen present a plethora of experience and fine advice.

The 416 Rigby I will use my own term and say is just a damn sexy cartridge with great penetration.

The 458 Lott is a damn heavy hitter without the Fabio sexiness but with performance and stats that cannot be denied.

I did not anticipate it coming down to two (to me exotic) calibers so easily but it has. I also understand the 416 Rem is on par with the Rigby, but when nostalgia comes in to play, emotions get the better of me and again make it a two cartridge game.

Thank you to all who have contributed. It was an interesting discussion and much research is still to be done.

Personal Bias: I was very happy to see the Barnes TSX being an available option for both. It is my primary hunting bullet of choice.

416 rem very readily available and generally way cheaper than most big calibre ammo

re 458 WM vs 458 Lott availability. Checked the South Africa Safari Outdoors website:
4 different offering for 458 Lott and they are all in stock,
Only one listed for 458WM and its out of stock.
Add to that, in a pinch you can use 458WM in the 458 Lott but not vice versa.
Hopefully lost ammo will never be a problem, I just don't trust Murphy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MellissaLe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.