Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi All,

I am just wondering, as someone from the U.S.A., Why anyone from here would hunt Leopard, unless you just had the money to blow? As far as I know, it is not easy to get your trophy imported back into the country, correct? It really is a shame that the tree huggers here have ruined African safaris by somehow getting a species which is NOT endangered in any way onto an endangered species list. So that begs the question, can other cats be imported back into the States as trophies or not? Lion? Serval? Elephant? Obviously Rhino is probably out but I just cannot see spending $35,000 on a hunt and $8,000 on a trophy fee if you cannot bring it back and all you have is a picture of something you killed in a far off land.

Are there ways around this?

I am now wishing that I could have gone on Safari in the 1920's when none of this was a problem and spending 9 months on Safari was pretty much the norm.

Chris,

As far as leopard goes, it could be a matter of personal preference on a species that one wishes to pursue, or it could be the point in the hunters life where they decide to go after dangerous game, or any number of reasons. For importation, leopard is still good to the US, Lion has just been put on the list by the USFW for importation, serval I cant answer but several on this forum can. Elephant is importable from SA and Namibia at least, and I'm sure there is 1 or 2 more countries you can import from as well.

Chris,

As far as leopard goes, it could be a matter of personal preference on a species that one wishes to pursue, or it could be the point in the hunters life where they decide to go after dangerous game, or any number of reasons. For importation, leopard is still good to the US, Lion has just been put on the list by the USFW for importation, serval I cant answer but several on this forum can. Elephant is importable from SA and Namibia at least, and I'm sure there is 1 or 2 more countries you can import from as well.
Oh Ok. I was only asking why they would hunt it because I was under the impression that you couldn't take it with you. Now that I know you can, it makes sense. Thanks for the reply. As for Elephant, I know that you cannot import the tusks anymore, correct?

So as far as why goes for me, it is because I want to hunt a particular animal, That is why I would do it, period, and regardless of import bans. If I want to hunt it, it is legal, and I can afford it I will hunt it. Cost and other issues for me comes into play, but not an import ban. I fully understand that my opinion is different than many, but I will personally not allow the U.S. government to tell me what I can do in another country, legally. When I hear people say "the antis are winning because of ban X" I roll my eyes as the only reason the ban is successful is because hunters allow it to be. It sometimes feels like many hunters are more interested in taxidermy in the living room than they are in the experience itself. JMO...

As far as the animals you list goes the answer as to what is importable is "it depends." Some animals are importable from some countries and some are not. And then there could always be a case where USFWS denies an importable animal for some reason.
  • Lion - USFWS not currently issuing import permits
  • Leopard - being issued, no country restrictions I'm aware of?
  • Rhino - being issued, no restrictions I'm aware of (I may be wrong here and there could be some and just not really talked about due to limited hunting regardless)?
  • Ele - being issued for SA and Namibia, all other countries not being issued that I'm aware of

So as far as why goes for me, it is because I want to hunt a particular animal, That is why I would do it, period, and regardless of import bans. If I want to hunt it, it is legal, and I can afford it I will hunt it. Cost and other issues for me comes into play, but not an import ban. I fully understand that my opinion is different than many, but I will personally not allow the U.S. government to tell me what I can do in another country, legally. When I hear people say "the antis are winning because of ban X" I roll my eyes as the only reason the ban is successful is because hunters allow it to be. It sometimes feels like many hunters are more interested in taxidermy in the living room than they are in the experience itself. JMO...

As far as the animals you list goes the answer as to what is importable is "it depends." Some animals are importable from some countries and some are not. And then there could always be a case where USFWS denies an importable animal for some reason.
  • Lion - USFWS not currently issuing import permits
  • Leopard - being issued, no country restrictions I'm aware of?
  • Rhino - being issued, no restrictions I'm aware of (I may be wrong here and there could be some and just not really talked about due to limited hunting regardless)?
  • Ele - being issued for SA and Namibia, all other countries not being issued that I'm aware of
Thanks! Great info!

Serval can be imported as long as permits are in place, all paperwork is correct.

It sometimes feels like many hunters are more interested in taxidermy in the living room than they are in the experience itself. JMO...

I agree 100%. I don't have elephant and cats on my radar, but if I did ... it would be for the experience, not for the taxidermy. It doesn't take very many kudu to overwhelm a living room!!!! I am looking to downsize the house as I move closer to retirement so I have more funds for more trips instead of having to add an addition to hold taxidermy.

So for me a leopard is high on the list. I think with leopard the combination of luck and mental toughness it what does it for me. I do want to import the leopard back, now if they ban it I will still hunt them. But if given the option I want my leopard haha.

My rhino I darted...nothing to import but one of the coolest hunts of my life. Would recommend it.

My lioness is coming back to the States. I almost cried when I got to her. Can't describe the emotion. However, this is the most exciting hunt of my life. If I could I would hunt them everyday. I plan to take advantage of the ban and hunt them again at the lower price.

My ele (when I do it) I don't plan to import anything and have no desire to. I want the experience.

Which leaves Buffalo, I am 50/50 if I will bring anything back. I leaning towards no, I just want them to give me that stare. That memory is what I will bring back.

I am on the same page as Royal27 and Scott Slough. It is all about the experience of the hunt and the memories. After the hunter is gone, the taxidermy will not mean much to anybody except as a curiosity. Also, once the mounts become part of your interior landscape, after a certain length of time they are just tuned out and go unnoticed...from my personal perspective anyways. I will continue to hunt Africa as long as Africa is willing and my bank account allows me to!

I do want to import the leopard back, now if they ban it I will still hunt them.

This is, in my opinion, the attitude we ALL need to have. I certainly have trophies coming back and will have more I'm sure. But, the trophies do not define the hunt for me.

My ele (when I do it) I don't plan to import anything and have no desire to. I want the experience.

I'd love to have tusks in my house. I won't though pay a $15-20k premium to get them there though. I hold no grudge against those that do. But like you said, I plan on taking advantage of the current ban to hunt at a lower price. If I can then import those tusks some day, awesome. If not, oh well.

Am all in on the notion of hunting for the experience. My trophy collection consists of a leopard, kudu, oryx, and as of tomorrow morning, a buffalo. The remainder (and after 50+ years hunting that remainder is pretty large) are euros, photos, and memories. I will admit we did "upsize" after retirement. :Banghead:

49851345-0657-4C41-B616-E10EEBD1649A.jpg

Memories are the main reason which makes most of us hunt, but I still like to have the trophy which reminds me of that moment.
I only have euro mounts, as I just don´t have the space. No trophy room, they are all over our apartment.

Agree wholeheartedly to the reason why we hunt....the actual process is what it makes so exciting. I have just been to Zimbabwe on elephant and buff hunt.. after 12 x days, we hunted ZERO!!! I was feeling for my 26yr old son as it was his trip to take a nice buff bull. His view.. Dad, it was awesome. We had some great stalks and some hairy moments. It was a wonderful hunt and I don't regret anything!!
I do use taxidermists a lot and have many trophies... BUT, it is NOT after the GOLD medal or Rowland Ward/ SCI.. I just like to sit in my trophy room, sometimes alone, sometimes with sons or mates, and just reminisce on the different hunts. Every trophy has a memory behind it.. I sit there, single malt or wine in hand and re - live that hunt... I have even recently installed an extractor fan so that I can puff on my cigars as well!!

Hi All,

I am just wondering, as someone from the U.S.A., Why anyone from here would hunt Leopard, unless you just had the money to blow? As far as I know, it is not easy to get your trophy imported back into the country, correct? It really is a shame that the tree huggers here have ruined African safaris by somehow getting a species which is NOT endangered in any way onto an endangered species list. So that begs the question, can other cats be imported back into the States as trophies or not? Lion? Serval? Elephant? Obviously Rhino is probably out but I just cannot see spending $35,000 on a hunt and $8,000 on a trophy fee if you cannot bring it back and all you have is a picture of something you killed in a far off land.

Are there ways around this?

I am now wishing that I could have gone on Safari in the 1920's when none of this was a problem and spending 9 months on Safari was pretty much the norm.
Big cats always make for a very challenging hunt. In my part of the world even a big bobcat is considered to be a very rare animal.

If I had the money and the time I would undoubtedly hunt all of the world's legal big cats if for no other reason than simply for the challenge of it.

In all honesty if I had the time and money I would take one of each of the big five for the same reason even if I couldn't bring the trophy home. I would love to do a dart hunt for a Rino and yes the pictures and the memories would be more than satisfying.

Chris,

As for me I have three of the big five and leopard will be 4 of 5!

I agree entirely, I have some trophies hanging that do not come close to resembling trophy size animals , but the hunts were so memorable that they deserved to be made into trophies.

All I have to do to remember just about every detail of one of my hunts is to look at the animal that is on the wall. It doesn't mater weather it is a shoulder mount or a euro, the memories are still there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross