Best bullet type for Tiny Ten?

................. The difficult thing is deliberately trying to center an animal................... If you hit shoulder, you will get a bit of expansion from the TSX clan - best location is rear lungs diaphragm. ........... Also be careful of facing shots if using any expanding bullet. .................

Since the OP's goal is a series of shoulder mounts, this is the answer.

Best bullet for the tiny ten you ask?? A tiny one of course!!

https://www.peregrinemonolithics.com/
Here in the US you can get different caliber monolithic solids in either all brass, or all copper from Peregrine to reload. Unfortunately I haven’t tried them yet.

The use of solids on these small antelope is mainly done with the 9.3 (.366) and up calibers.

I would recommend any premium controlled expansion bullet (Swift A-frame for example) at modest velocity on the smaller bush species.

For the Klipspringer, Mountain reedbuck and Vaal Rhebuck,I would recommend something like Nosler Accubond(165 or 180 gr) or the 168 gr Long range Accubond or Swift Scirocco or Norma Oryx. You will need the extra reach for these three.

Can you get a solid in 06?

About 12 years ago, I bought two boxes of hard point reloaded .308 ammo at a gun show in Swift Current. My intention was to use them on coyotes, but decided after I bought them that it might not be the best idea. Thought maybe I might end up with coyotes running off? Anyway, they are still taking up space in my safe. Should probably just go shoot them off on targets or something.

Back to my original question- are FMJ bullets in loaded ammo legal to import into South Africa? I have read this on a couple of outfitters' websites, but can find nothing in regulations stating so.

Attachments

• gov_notice_english.pdf
    982.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there
I’ve had quite a few clients bring in solids for Hunting
Both in factory ammo and reloads
Never had an issue never actually seen the
Police inspect the ammunition closely
Regards

Back to my original question- are FMJ bullets in loaded ammo legal to import into South Africa? I have read this on a couple of outfitters' websites, but can find nothing in regulations stating so.

In short yes they are legal.

I would however not try to import "Military ball" ammunition (these in SA are marked R1M1 for the 7.62x51mm-aka 308 Win). They make poor hunting ammo in any case. Rather stick to commercial ammo or hand loads.

I've had tsx and bear claw slide through smaller game without expansion at moderate ranges (50-100 yards). Close range usually leads to more-dramatic effects, but my experience is nowhere close to scientific.

I am currently handloading Barnes 165 gr. TSX bullets, at a MV of 2750 fps- fairly sedate velocity, to be sure. I have a Leupold CDS scope on my '06, and can consistently ring a 3" gong at 300 yards. This rifle is crazy accurate with the TSX bullet. I have recently used it on fairly small whitetail and fallow does, with zero meat or hide damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.