Anyone else practicing with .22 trainers?

Shako Badhan

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Some time ago I picked up a CZ 457 Jaguar to practice my offhand and off sticks shooting. I have definitely seen a marked improvement in my proficiency. It’s common knowledge that practice with these little guys helps, but I’m still impressed with the results.

That fact that it tips the scale at over 8lbs makes it feel like a real rifle which I really like.

IMG_8711.jpeg
IMG_8712.jpeg

I bring my R8 with the .22 barrel on most weekends when I leave town. It gets used frequently, sometimes only for 10 minutes.

A .22 shoot becomes a competition very quickly. Everybody wants to send a few rounds and test their proficiency. It is a very useful tool to get kids to shoot more without requiring a trip to the range and without the noise of bigger guns.

I’m always looking for a decent bolt action .22 with irons, and a walnut stock for a trainer

Yes, with bolt action Brno .22 & 4x scope, similar to my favorite hunting rifle & scope (Brno 602 Magnum, caliber .375 H&H & 4x scope).

It is best to train with the exact rifle and ammunition that each of us intend to hunt with.

However, it is not always possible and so a .22 rifle, fired from shooting sticks is an alternative for training.

Likewise, even time spent shooting hundreds of rounds from an air rifle, over the shooting sticks is better training than just watching the outdoor channel and eating ice cream.

Cheers.

Its a CZ 457 synthetic suppressed for me. The kids and I run thousands of rounds through it. The length, weight, trigger pull, action, its all about the same. Its essential practice.

My suggestion for someone who was a bit recoil shy (Flinched with big bores.) was to shoot the big bore only enough to insure it was sighted in then put it away and practice with a full size 22 concentrating on the trigger squeeze and calling the shot. When you get to the point of being able to consistently call he shot you do not have a flinch. If you have the time before the hunt and you have eliminated the flinch you can try one or two big bore shots during the 22 practice sessions. I the flinch returns set the big bore aside and just practice with the 22. This all needs to be done far enough in advance that you arrive at the hunt without a flinch. I have great luck curing shooters flinch with this method.

Some time ago I picked up a CZ 457 Jaguar to practice my offhand and off sticks shooting. I have definitely seen a marked improvement in my proficiency. It’s common knowledge that practice with these little guys helps, but I’m still impressed with the results.

That fact that it tips the scale at over 8lbs makes it feel like a real rifle which I really like.

View attachment 574547View attachment 574548
Is that the one with the 28 inch barrel?

My suggestion for someone who was a bit recoil shy (Flinched with big bores.) was to shoot the big bore only enough to insure it was sighted in then put it away and practice with a full size 22 concentrating on the trigger squeeze and calling the shot. When you get to the point of being able to consistently call he shot you do not have a flinch. If you have the time before the hunt and you have eliminated the flinch you can try one or two big bore shots during the 22 practice sessions. I the flinch returns set the big bore aside and just practice with the 22. This all needs to be done far enough in advance that you arrive at the hunt without a flinch. I have great luck curing shooters flinch with this method.
It’s funny- I have also had the opposite experience: shoot my 404 for a while and my 30-06 seems very tame.

I try to get on the sticks a couple of times a week with a .22LR.

Usually the CZ452 or the Ruger 77/22.

img_4501-jpg.571674

77_22.jpg

Is that the one with the 28 inch barrel?
Yes it is. I wanted a 457 and these were the only ones that were available at the I got it. Originally I was not sure about the long barrel, but it gives it a proper weight and the balance with the scope is not bad. It’s also very accurate.

Yes it is. I wanted a 457 and these were the only ones that were available at the I got it. Originally I was not sure about the long barrel, but it gives it a proper weight and the balance with the scope is not bad. It’s also very accurate.

Great thing with the 457 (and 455) is ease of swapping barrels.

Long, short, fat, skinny, sights or not, 17HMR, 22LR, 22WMR.

The kits for different chamberings also include a magazine and bottom metal.

https://www.czub.cz/en/firearms-and-products-family/cz-457-miniset

Last edited:
Image1702590019.365027.jpg

This is my Anchutz 1712 Meistergrade.
My primary club shoots NRA Light Rifle fall, winter and spring every Tuesday.
It also gets used at Rimfire Silhouette matches at clubs in the area. There is a match somewhere from spring through fall every weekend.
It is designed for Silhouette matches and barely meets the maximum weight and minimum trigger pull requirement for sporter class.
Both are shot offhand with no support - no slings or shooting coats.
Light Rifle is shot indoors at 50 feet.
Silhouette is shot outdoors at 40, 60, 77, and 100 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAngloPrussian

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.