Any experience with Sauer S404 series rifles?

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Planning on getting one in 9.3X62. Your feedback is much appreciated

I have never used a 404.
I’ve hunted with the 202 in a few configurations as loaner rifles in Namibia and they were very nice.

I personally owned a cheaper “Sauer 100” chambered in 9.3x62. It shot excellent with 286gr hornady factory! Great barrel and trigger. Just to much recoil in the caliber made the cheap plastic magazine fall out. I took it to the Blaser importer in San Antonio, Texas and they fixed it for free and seemed to take care of the issue for good . I still got rid of it though.

I think you will be very happy with the quality of the 404 fit and finish. I’m sure it will be a shooter as well. Get it!

I have never used a 404.
I’ve hunted with the 202 in a few configurations as loaner rifles in Namibia and they were very nice.

I personally owned a cheaper “Sauer 100” chambered in 9.3x62. It shot excellent with 286gr hornady factory! Great barrel and trigger. Just to much recoil in the caliber made the cheap plastic magazine fall out. I took it to the Blaser importer in San Antonio, Texas and they fixed it for free and seemed to take care of the issue for good . I still got rid of it though.

I think you will be very happy with the quality of the 404 fit and finish. I’m sure it will be a shooter as well. Get it
Great insights, thanks

Great insights, thanks
You won’t have any issues with plastic parts on your 404…
post a pic when you get it!

Also, https://www.africahunting.com/threads/sauer-404.54416/

This thread has good insight. The 404 is very modular and they charge you for it. If you have no intention of changing barrels than maybe something else would be worth your money.

Just a thought! But I think the 404 is beautiful and I know Sauer makes quality stuff.

Last edited:
I have the Sauer S 404 in the 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Win Mag & 404 Jeffrey.
I love this gun with the versatility it gives me.
I had a problem a while ago with the 300 Win Mag barrel and they replaced it with a new barrel.

I forgot to mention they replaced the barrel Free which I have owned for about 3 years.
To me that is customer service you don't find very much on guns.

I have the Sauer S 404 in the 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Win Mag & 404 Jeffrey.
I love this gun with the versatility it gives me.
I had a problem a while ago with the 300 Win Mag barrel and they replaced it with a new barrel.
I guess with one gun and three different barrels and bolt heads. Do you have the synthetic stock?

I have both the synthetic and Grade 7 wood stock. Synthetic stock works great for cold rainy conditions and wood works for Africa.

You won’t have any issues with plastic parts on your 404…
post a pic when you get it!

Also, https://www.africahunting.com/threads/sauer-404.54416/

This thread has good insight. The 404 is very modular and they charge you for it. If you have no intention of changing barrels than maybe something else would be worth your money.

Just a thought! But I think the 404 is beautiful and I know Sauer makes quality stuff.
Yes they are sort of expensive
I have both the synthetic and Grade 7 wood stock. Synthetic stock works great for cold rainy conditions and wood works for Africa.
Thats cool, where did you get your wood stock from?

Bought it from Sauer Distributor in San Antonio, Tx

I've always wondered why Sauer 404 rifles are not more popular. They look elegant, are built very well, and are accurate and versatile. I own their predecessor, the Sauer 202. Well, three of them actually. and three additional barrels. All three rifles are very well made and I find no fault with them. I think the improvements Sauer added to 404 model line have made them even better.

Here is mine

IMG_3091.jpg

I really enjoy my Sauer S404 too. Sauer truly backs their reputation on the quality of their rifle and goes beyond their warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErvinSew56

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double