Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I currently possess a bolt action .416 Rigby rifle, with on the side of the Mauser action the gold inlaid engraving of “African Legend”. This rifle was part of a two rifle set, with the second one being a .338 Win Mag, engraved with “Alaskan Legend”.

Provided I can get my hands on this second rifle, I was thinking of perhaps adding a “European Legend”. What would your vote be as to the caliber? I would think smaller than the .338WM, but which one would be the most appropriate choice? 7x57? A 7x64 I have already. 6.5 Swede? Another caliber?

I’d like to perhaps keep in mind also, if we would add another country/continent, “Indian Legend” could be another, in which case I would see as an immediate candidate, the .275…

Happy to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,

V.

That euro one is tuff the Indian one is right on. I would have 7x57 but now?

The 6.5 Swede for Europe gets my vote. Especially as the 275 will be for India.

7x57mm Mauser. Could the choice be anymore obvious ?

7x57 Mauser

To avoid the 275, 7mm duplicity: 8x57IS

The 7x57 and 7x64 are the same class and from the game animal's perspective indistinguishable. Therefore, it would very redundant to have a .275 and one of those (obviously, the same exact load if you opt for the 7x57). You have the heavy end well covered. I would go with the 6.5x57 or 6.5x54. Either makes a great universal deer choice regardless of continent.

The 7x57 and 7x64 are the same class and from the game animal's perspective indistinguishable. Therefore, it would very redundant to have a .275 and one of those (obviously, the same exact load if you opt for the 7x57). You have the heavy end well covered. I would go with the 6.5x57 or 6.5x54. Either makes a great universal deer choice regardless of continent.
The more I think about it, I would go with the 6.5x57 or 55 (Swede). The 54 really is a classic, but seems most appropriate in a little Schoenauer rather than a mauser actioned rifle.

I would choose from most poplar European calibers: 8x57, 9.3x62, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 7x64, 7x57.
Now: 8x57 and 7x57 started strictly as military calibers, and 6.5x55 was Swedish military caliber.

Compared to what you already have: 338 and 416, I would then exclude 9.3x62 (which hunting caliber but invented for African game), that leaves us with winner:

7x64.

Military calibers have earned their reputation in hunting fields, but conservative in me, prefers true hunting calibers, designed for hunting.

Some good suggestions already.

The obvious ones in my mind seem to be (no particular order): 6.5 swede, 7x57/275, 7x64, 8x57, 9.3x62. Am I missing any?

I already have a very nice 7x64 and the 275 screams India, unless another caliber would also work there. So the 7x57/275 and 7x64 we could maybe exclude.

The 6.5 swede or as @Red Leg suggested the 6.5x54 but in a Mannlicher-Schoenauer action then.

But if other actions would be appropriate for the line up, I cannot think of something more typical for Europe than a 9.3x62 or 9.3x74r in an o/u express, for the driven hunts here…

I think the european caliber is 8x57.

416 Rigby is a very good caliber, but the AFRICAN LEGEND is 375H&H. And her "son" 300H&H

Well, that one from the line up I cannot change…

Hubert Vereecke 416 Rigby (14).JPEG

Last edited:
I’d say for a euro rifle a double sxs or o/u or a drilling chambered for a rimmed cartridge would be appropriate. This would be something different too, if you care for that.

I’d say for a euro rifle a double sxs or o/u or a drilling chambered for a rimmed cartridge would be appropriate. This would be something different too, if you care for that.
Absolutely....a O/U in 7x65R would make a lot of sense.....

I have a O/U 12ga/7×65R combo that has developed an issue with the 7x65R chamber....it will be going to the gunsmith to see if we can have that barrel re barreled to 7x57R and check if we can make 2 additional sets in 9.3x74R/9.3×74R and 7x65R/7×65R which would be in my mind the perfect 3 barrel set for pg.
It is a Belgium made rifle with a very strong action that sports double Kersten locks and ejectors.......I suspect that the action is from Ferlach....

So that will give

9.3x74R x2
7x65R x2
7x57mm/12ga combo......

Last edited:
Absolutely....a O/U in 7x65R would make a lot of sense.....

I have a O/U 12ga/7×65R combo that has developed an issue with the 7x65R chamber....it will be going to the gunsmith to see if we can have that barrel re barreled to 7x57R and check if we can make 2 additional sets in 9.3x74R/9.3×74Rand 7x65R/7×65R which would be in my mind the perfect 3 barrel set for pg.
It is a Belgium made rifle with a very strong action that sports double Kersten locks and ejectors.......I suspect that the action is from Ferlach....
Well I also already have a sxs in 7x65r...

But as you and @Opposite Pole suggested, perhaps I should go look at other actions/setups than just bolt actions...

This is getting complicated...

I still like the idea of a 6.5x .... as this is something I do not have and would be perfect for Roedeer hunting.

btw IvW, I'd love to see a few pictures of your combination guns, those have fallen out of favour in my region in recent years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard6789

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani