Advice on double rifle for wild hogs

You make a good point and with the proper setup (bait, in a stand, etc) any suitable deer cartridge kills hogs just fine.

I can think of situations where I wouldn't use a .243 though. Spot and stalk thru the brush, drives, etc. where you could get raking and texas heart shots - in those cases I'd much rather the 9.3x74r and it's peers that are capable of much deeper penetration.
Agree. Another scenario which is very common in Europe, is a hunt for driven boar. Again these are big animals, typically on the run offering fleeting shots that need to do decisive damage when they hit. The 9.3x74R was created with those requirements in mind.

Brno Super O/U in 9,3x74R, Leupold 1,25-4x on pivot mount

DSC04908.JPG

Quoting a concern - "where you could get raking and texas heart shots"
It does not take a cannon to kill a pig with a Texas heart shot ( my son does it easily with his .223 ) . The bullet and shot placement are very important- IMHO, more than caliber.
"If you shoot one in the eye, it is gonna die"

It may be that one reason we see so many Express cartridge and big bore rifles recommended for hogs, is that hunters like to shoot those rifles. I also have and do use 45-70, 45-90 (.458 2.4), 405WCF, in addition to smaller "deer rifle" calibers, including .357 Magnum. I KNOW GUYS THAT USE ONLY AR 15 .223 RIFLES with good success.
However, it seems that suggesting that a big bore or Express rifle is needed to kill hogs is wrong and wrong headed.

JHT,
My congratulations to you and your daughter for that good shot on the hog. Reminds me of the wife of a Colorado outfitter - her elk rifle is a .243 and her answer as to where to shoot a big elk was "right behind the ear".
My daughter is also deadly with her .243 and her 7mm Wby magnum. She, my son, and I are headed out for some feral pigs as soon as the range dries up from recent rains .

Agree. Another scenario which is very common in Europe, is a hunt for driven boar. Again these are big animals, typically on the run offering fleeting shots that need to do decisive damage when they hit. The 9.3x74R was created with those requirements in mind.

Jeez now you got me reminiscing about past driven hunts in France and Hungary :E Big Grin:

Quoting a concern - "where you could get raking and texas heart shots"
It does not take a cannon to kill a pig with a Texas heart shot ( my son does it easily with his .223 ) . The bullet and shot placement are very important- IMHO, more than caliber.
"If you shoot one in the eye, it is gonna die"

It may be that one reason we see so many Express cartridge and big bore rifles recommended for hogs, is that hunters like to shoot those rifles. I also have and do use 45-70, 45-90 (.458 2.4), 405WCF, in addition to smaller "deer rifle" calibers, including .357 Magnum. I KNOW GUYS THAT USE ONLY AR 15 .223 RIFLES with good success.
However, it seems that suggesting that a big bore or Express rifle is needed to kill hogs is wrong and wrong headed.

JHT,
My congratulations to you and your daughter for that good shot on the hog. Reminds me of the wife of a Colorado outfitter - her elk rifle is a .243 and her answer as to where to shoot a big elk was "right behind the ear".
My daughter is also deadly with her .243 and her 7mm Wby magnum. She, my son, and I are headed out for some feral pigs as soon as the range dries up from recent rains .

If you tried to use a 223 on European driven boar hunt you would wound a hell of a lot...

Jeez now you got me reminiscing about past driven hunts in France and Hungary :E Big Grin:
Mine were all in Germany and Austria, but I really want to do one of those massive Hungarian shoots one of these days.

If you tried to use a 223 on European driven boar hunt you would wound a hell of a lot...
Exactly. I use a 5.56 here on the place, but those are 30-100 yard shots at undisturbed animals at night. Would be a terrible choice for driven boar.

Haven’t seen one of those big old bruisers for a while. Great rifle (and 12 bore) that was built like a tank.
These old Brnos are great guns, and the best was,...they were affordable, when I was young .... ;)

To keep your memories alive,... a O/U in 7x65R.....

DSC04910.JPG

HWL

Here in Texas, I am not likely to participate in a European Style driven boar shoot.
I prefer letting the dogs do their work and "tree" the boar for me.
I have shot a few hogs on the move, but rarely have the opportunity.
I have also shot a couple of house cats on the run and they make for a challenging target with a rifle. Better suited for a shotgun game actually.

These old Brnos are great guns, and the best was,...they were affordable, when I was young .... ;)

To keep your memories alive,... a O/U in 7x65R.....

View attachment 395264

HWL
Here is a lovely 9.3x74R double that would I think warm even the coldest Teutonic heart. :cool: It was built in Suhl by F.W. Kessler and marketed by Glasser Waffen, Zurich shortly before WWI.

double.jpg

double2.jpg

It is an exquisite and accurate little rifle with unique exterior locks to go with the double underlugs.

Here in Texas, I am not likely to participate in a European Style driven boar shoot.
I prefer letting the dogs do their work and "tree" the boar for me.
I have shot a few hogs on the move, but rarely have the opportunity.
I have also shot a couple of house cats on the run and they make for a challenging target with a rifle. Better suited for a shotgun game actually.
You ever do the helicopter hog hunt?
Looks fun and challenging.
Definitely a bucket list item for me.

Here is a lovely 9.3x74R double that would I think warm even the coldest Teutonic heart. :cool: It was built in Suhl by F.W. Kessler and marketed by Glasser Waffen, Zurich shortly before WWI.

View attachment 395273

View attachment 395274
It is an exquisite and accurate little rifle with unique exterior locks to go with the double underlugs.
This indeed is a beauty..... I guess, it was not available for the poor lieutenant in the 70's.

It looks like an Herkules action of August Schüler, Suhl.

Recently, a Drilling made by August Schüler crossed my pass.....

It came in 8x65RS and 16 ga. shotgun barrels.

DSC04913.JPG
DSC04912.JPG
DSC04914.JPG
DSC04915.JPG

HWL

View attachment 395273

View attachment 395274

Never seen side locks like that before...presume work with the lever

Gentlemen I look at it like this as far as using big boards on hogs the more practice you can get for your upcoming Cape Buffalo or elephant hunt the better! There's nothing better on this earth to practice shooting at then wild hogs!
When using a "big boards" on hogs to you prefer a 2x4 or 2x6? :E Lol::A Outta:

Don't you just love spellcheck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HilarioCom

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,