7x57 vs 9.3x62 (it's probably not what you think)

In some African locals the 9.3 is legal for "big meanies". If you do your part with shot placement and correct bullet selection you could be enjoying "meanie" steak. LOL
I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a DG hunt if legal if nothing else was available. In fact I would use it on whitetail deer, bear, moose, etc. Big heavy bullets due to their slower velocity will do less damage to meat as opposed to someone using a 30/06 or 243. Then again I would use a 7x57 (which I have 4) to hunt North American game also. As the old adage goes "to each his own".

I thought 9.3x74R and 9.3x64 brenneke were the minimum thresholds?

Can you kill lion, buffalo or hippo with a 9.3x62 in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique or Zimbabwe? Honest question, I had assumed they lacked the joules / foot pounds to be allowed?

I think that 9,3x62 is a universal calibre.
7x57 I use for sentimental reasons and longing for days are gone forever.
Witold

Yes it will do the job but whether it is legal to use in those countries you have listed would be a question for outfitters or PH's that hunt there.

Pretty sure 9.3x62 is legal in Mozambique. South Africa and Botswana need .375. Zimbabwe need 9.3 but 3906 ft lbs. Namibia no minimum calibre but need 3980 ft lbs.
You would need to push a 286gr faster than 2500fps to meet the energy requirements.
A 320gr Woodleigh at 2375fps makes 4000 ft lbs though.

Last edited:
Short answer to the original question - neither bullet/caliber is going to hit those velocities at anything close to safe pressures. With South African powders, even a No.1 action would be tested to breaking point before you come close to those velocities.

As has been mentioned, the bullets referred to are way heavier than the conventional max for either caliber. If you want those velocities, load lighter bullets (or get a 'magnum' in the caliber).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scanerabledo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.