7x57 vs 9.3x62 (it's probably not what you think)

In some African locals the 9.3 is legal for "big meanies". If you do your part with shot placement and correct bullet selection you could be enjoying "meanie" steak. LOL
I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a DG hunt if legal if nothing else was available. In fact I would use it on whitetail deer, bear, moose, etc. Big heavy bullets due to their slower velocity will do less damage to meat as opposed to someone using a 30/06 or 243. Then again I would use a 7x57 (which I have 4) to hunt North American game also. As the old adage goes "to each his own".

I thought 9.3x74R and 9.3x64 brenneke were the minimum thresholds?

Can you kill lion, buffalo or hippo with a 9.3x62 in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique or Zimbabwe? Honest question, I had assumed they lacked the joules / foot pounds to be allowed?

I think that 9,3x62 is a universal calibre.
7x57 I use for sentimental reasons and longing for days are gone forever.
Witold

Yes it will do the job but whether it is legal to use in those countries you have listed would be a question for outfitters or PH's that hunt there.

Pretty sure 9.3x62 is legal in Mozambique. South Africa and Botswana need .375. Zimbabwe need 9.3 but 3906 ft lbs. Namibia no minimum calibre but need 3980 ft lbs.
You would need to push a 286gr faster than 2500fps to meet the energy requirements.
A 320gr Woodleigh at 2375fps makes 4000 ft lbs though.

Last edited:
Short answer to the original question - neither bullet/caliber is going to hit those velocities at anything close to safe pressures. With South African powders, even a No.1 action would be tested to breaking point before you come close to those velocities.

As has been mentioned, the bullets referred to are way heavier than the conventional max for either caliber. If you want those velocities, load lighter bullets (or get a 'magnum' in the caliber).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross