7mm-08: What is your opinion as a plains game rifle?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Jfet, Mar 29, 2014.

1. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    My CZ 550 H&H feels no worse than 12 gauge shooting 2 3/4 loads

2. Jfet

Jfet GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and now Namibia
    ... and then when you break the trigger of you 375 H&H on your first animal in Africa the felt recoil of the rifle is similar to a 22.(y)

ActionBob likes this.
  3. Norwegianwoods

Norwegianwoods SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
    Even if some of us think that the recoil from a .375 is totally fine and even fun to shoot with, there are still many that are not able to shoot well with one.
    No matter how much they practice with it at a shooting range.
    A good recoil pad and a well fitting stock is extremely important for felt recoil, but still there are people that are more recoil shy than others.
    And it has nothing to do with what size you are or how much man you are.
    I highly recommend test shooting a well fitting rifle in .375 at a shooting range before buying one.

4. graybird

graybird AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa (Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal both twice), Saskatchewan, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Nebraska, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi
    A 375 H&H is not a must have for African Plains game. I just recently returned from a trip and it was the first time I had taken a rifle larger than my 300 WinMag. The previous trip, I took the 300 and a 7-08. This trip did include the 375, but it was intended for the smaller species on my list using solid bullets like oribi and red duiker. I ended up taking three species with the 375, an oribi, bushpig and zebra. Any of these species could have been taken with the 300, but I chose to use the 375 instead.

My recommendation is to take a rifle that you would be comfortable taking elk hunting. My friend took his 30-06 shooting 150 gr AccuBond bullets and most of them made two holes including kudu, oryx, waterbuck and blue wildebeest.

Good luck with your choice!

5. tiss kocovsky

tiss kocovsky AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, WWA
    how much worse than a .30-06? I am thinking of an x bolt, so the weight should be around 6.5 pounds. Should I heavy it up a bit with lead in the butt? I did that with a synthetic 06 and it helped. What would ideal weight be? 8 lb?

6. ActionBob

ActionBob GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Heck I don't know, worse! If you wanted it dampened on a light weight 30-06, go with a heavier gun like a Winchester 70 or CZ 550. Or add a mercury damper into the stock but why not go all the way and have CRF as well? Of course if you really like the Xbolt, go ahead and get one and do what you need to it.

Someone more technical might be able to answer better but try this http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

But don't be afraid to take a 30-06 for plains game, especially in an area where you won't be in proximity to dangerous game.

7. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa
    I think in Namibia you have to use at least a 7mm or 270 caliber.

8. Rob44

Rob44 AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    Was your 338-06 a factory rifle or a Custom Build,,I'm in the middle of a 338-06 build on a savage action and wondering as I don't see a lot of offering for that cartridge fro Major manufactures

9. UxbridgeSafari

UxbridgeSafari AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa and USA
    I think it is perfect for what you guys are looking for. The 7mm-08 is very similar to the 7x57 and if you ask anyone in africa what rifles have taken the most animals you would get the same answers with the 7mm mauser being one of them. Take some good bullets and youll have a great time. Good luck.