79 Series Land Cruiser discontinued, what will your Professional Hunter use in the future

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
Toyota is discontinuing the 79 series Land Cruiser after the 2021 run is finished. Toyota cites the reason as "Risks of foreign exchange law violations and usage". Effectively, Toyota is trying to cut off access to its Range of Vehicles to terrorists. It is my understanding that in Dubai a buyer of the remaining Cruisers must sign a form prohibiting them from reselling, if they resell they will be banned from buying Toyota products.

No a Hilux will not replace a Land cruiser and the Land Rover (for good or bad) is no longer made

Was there another thread on this said the LandCruiser will be available but no GL models etc?

I hope it's available, it's not just terrorists that use them, but unfortunately terrorists do use them.

They are a car, I can't see Toyota stopping production because terrorists buy them. In principle yes but you can't stop something the world needs.

Agriculture, mining and tourism all use them.

A few years ago National Parks thought there would not be any LandCruiser for firefighting. They looked for another vehicle to carry the weight.

The LandCruiser is very popular in Australia but we are a small consumer on worldwide scale.

I have been following this very closely, the 79 series will end this year. For Australia there is supposed to be a special run of 600 "anniversary model" 400 will be double cab and 200 single cab, all using the turbo V8 diesel. Special paint & interior. I am only talking about the 79 series pickup/bakkie. I would not classify them as a "car".
Fortunately we purchased two in June of 2020 and took delivery in July of 2021. A friend/Safari operator is "trying" to find two available. If he can find they have gone up $12,000. I do not do the social media crap. This is straight from Toyota.
We have a total of 5 cruisers going back to 1982 our 1983 & 2001 are both better than new.

I have been following this very closely, the 79 series will end this year. For Australia there is supposed to be a special run of 600 "anniversary model" 400 will be double cab and 200 single cab, all using the turbo V8 diesel. Special paint & interior. I am only talking about the 79 series pickup/bakkie. I would not classify them as a "car".
Fortunately we purchased two in June of 2020 and took delivery in July of 2021. A friend/Safari operator is "trying" to find two available. If he can find they have gone up $12,000. I do not do the social media crap. This is straight from Toyota.
We have a total of 5 cruisers going back to 1982 our 1983 & 2001 are both better than new.
Not good, bugger, .

Never owned one driven plenty for work,

From what I can find on the internet they will be available in Australia in 2022.

Perhaps, Toyota in South Africa will not be able to supply these.

It's a shame. I was surprisedy PH was using a Mitsubishi Triton just like the one I have in Australia, it's a small world.

That would be daft of Toyota to be honest.
If they discontinue one of the most reliable versatile vehicles for Africa they would be opening the door unnecessarily to competitors for a mass market takeover that would likely cripple Toyota as a brand.
Almost every gov, gov agency, foreign ngo, wildlife conservation group use the 79 series s well as tens of thousands of individuals
A land cruiser sold in South Africa has an almost 0% chance of every being exported to Middle East for the purpose of terrorism.

1635506936518.png

Probably not quite up to par with the Toyota, plus the steering wheel is on the left, but the Jeep Gladiator might be worth a look. Jeep would have to up their game in Africa.

As I wrote earlier 600 will be available for Australia for 2022 400 double cabs, 200 single cabs, all special editions. It does not sound like Toyota really wanted to do this, but in TOYOTAS WORDS
"RISK OF FOREIGN EXCHANGE LAW VIOLATIONS AND USAGE".

The 79 1HJ series like all of the previous models were non-computer vehicles, this is one of the reasons that they are so suited for Africa. If sometime in the future they replace the 79 series you can bet that it will be with a computer vehicle.

In at least Zimbabwe most Land Cruisers that are stolen (they go for near new ones) will end up in a country where terrorism does take some within 24hrs of being stolen, this has been documented.

As I wrote earlier 600 will be available for Australia for 2022 400 double cabs, 200 single cabs, all special editions. It does not sound like Toyota really wanted to do this, but in TOYOTAS WORDS
"RISK OF FOREIGN EXCHANGE LAW VIOLATIONS AND USAGE".

The 79 1HJ series like all of the previous models were non-computer vehicles, this is one of the reasons that they are so suited for Africa. If sometime in the future they replace the 79 series you can bet that it will be with a computer vehicle.

In at least Zimbabwe most Land Cruisers that are stolen (they go for near new ones) will end up in a country where terrorism does take some within 24hrs of being stolen, this has been documented.
It will be interesting if this goes ahead.
What would the options be?

Personally, i'd say the Nissan Patrol. Its as close as you can get to a cruiser, almost identical in all specs. Same non electronic 4.2lt engine, simpl(er) to maintain in the bush.
What do you say?

Theres not enough spares in the world for the hunting community to go back to Land Rover... :LOL::A Stirring:

No one else really offers up anything that can compete in the same category as the 79 series so i guess its time to start scouring the interwebs for cruisers for sale

Toyota is discontinuing the 79 series Land Cruiser after the 2021 run is finished. Toyota cites the reason as "Risks of foreign exchange law violations and usage". Effectively, Toyota is trying to cut off access to its Range of Vehicles to terrorists. It is my understanding that in Dubai a buyer of the remaining Cruisers must sign a form prohibiting them from reselling, if they resell they will be banned from buying Toyota products.

No a Hilux will not replace a Land cruiser and the Land Rover (for good or bad) is no longer made

This doesnt make a lot of sense..

I've seen bad guys in bad places driving FAR more toyota corollas and hi-lux's than I have seen them drive land cruisers...

Hell.. depending on the country... Ive seen more bad guys in Opels and Hi-Ace vans than I have land cruisers..

The terrorist in a Land Cruiser Technical isnt nearly as common an occurrence as Hollywould would have you believe..

Sounds more like politicians playing geo-politicial games and another Fortune 500 CEO playing politics than anything that is stemmed in reality or that would be even remotely effective in dealing with terrorism..

Glad my FJ40 rebuild is going well!

While killing a little time waiting for things to cool off I looked up some Toyota numbers.
1. According to Google Toyota makes and sells about 10million vehicles a year.

2. I looked at two different sources on 79 series Land Cruiser one says in 2019 they mfg. about 5,200.

3. The other source says in 2020 mfg. about 3,500.

Keep in mind I am talking about the bakkie only, not wagon/troopie or any of the other countless models. As you can see that is a fairly insignificant amount of vehicles.

As a Safari Operator we can purchase duty free which in Zim adds about $25,000 or so to the purchase price. I wish we had the money to purchase 1 or 2 more, but that is not going to happen.

From what I have observed of South Africa their is always a glut of used late model cruisers for sale, it seems that most have the v-8 petrol engine. Not desirable for us, but unless something changes this is sure going to leave a big dead space in the rugged hunting vehicle market. We will definitely be taking care of the ones that own now.

Another loss to the hunting fraternity, in January of this year the CZ550 was discontinued, now the Toyota series 79 Land Cruiser. Both are iconic,IMHO, to African safaris and the hunting industry. A sad day when numbers determine decisions but I guess that it's all about survival. Not wanting to start a war but the Jeep is not a Land Cruiser, again IMHO. Some days I struggle with change.

Can't find anything...here are some different links saying its keeping going....apart from certain model being deleted in 2022 but not the 79...the numbers quoted by @Tokoloshe Safaris are for the celebratory edition 70th anniversary vehicles...not for a run out end of production affair from what I have read in the thread below..

Another loss to the hunting fraternity, in January of this year the CZ550 was discontinued, now the Toyota series 79 Land Cruiser. Both are iconic,IMHO, to African safaris and the hunting industry. A sad day when numbers determine decisions but I guess that it's all about survival. Not wanting to start a war but the Jeep is not a Land Cruiser, again IMHO. Some days I struggle with change.
Hi Neil,

I agree totally ab out the loss of both. If you check into this, this was a legal threat brought on by the U.S. govt.

If you ever have your bank account frozen for no reason by the U.S. govt. for no good reason you will know what hell on earth is (no I am not talking about my X wife).

Can't find anything...here are some different links saying its keeping going....apart from certain model being deleted in 2022 but not the 79...

Maybe you should try Toyotas site, not magazines etc. As I have stated they say they will make 600 2022 for Australia.

And this is about security concerns...but nothing to do with the 79....and not sure if even that is correct....so ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LorenzaSte

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.