6.5 Roberts Improved?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Interesting find on the preowned rack at my local Cabelas store today. A Remington 798 that has been rebuilt with what appears to be a McMillan-type stock and a 26 inch E.R. Shaw barrel marked "6.5/257 Ackley". Never heard of the caliber, but based on a quick internet search, I think this is also known as the "6.5 Roberts Improved". I assume that caliber is produced via a combination of the 257 Roberts AI with the neck sized up to 6.5mm(?). Making one's own brass and reloading for it should be "interesting". It strikes me as an unnecessarily complex way to recreate the 6.5 Swede or Creedmoor. Anyone ever cross paths with this caliber?

Btw, it's probably a sure bet the original owner had well more than that asking price into this build; I'm thinking maybe a grand or so.

20240420_111304.jpg

20240420_111206.jpg

20240420_111225.jpg

It's just not the project for me. That particular combination of components and such an oddball wildcat caliber is just not very appealing to me, and I'm sitting on too many project rifles already.

Last edited:
It's just not the project for me. That particular combination of components and such an oddball wildcat caliber is just not very appealing to me, and I'm sitting on too many project rifles already.
By the time you find the right dies and fire form cases the cost will double the purchase price.

I think the 257 Roberts is a lovely cartridge. If you're going to go up to 6.5mm why not just shoot the parent cartridge, the 7mm Mauser?
Exactly! The idea of going through the contortions of combining the 257 Roberts case, the Ackley Improvement, and then re-necking to 6.5mm makes no sense to me at all. Just get a 7x57 and be done with it.

The reason for it was the Japanese 6.5 Arisaka rifles that came to the US as war trophies. Ammunition wasn't available but the 257 Roberts could easily be necked up to 6.5 to match the bore and a reamer for the x57 case was large enough to clean up the existing chamber. The result is a 6.5 Roberts or 6.5x257 Roberts in standard or Ackley versions. Another name for the Ackley version is the 260 AAR (All Around Rifle). I think I have dies and a reamer for the standard version and dies for the AAR.

The reason for it was the Japanese 6.5 Arisaka rifles that came to the US as war trophies. Ammunition wasn't available but the 257 Roberts could easily be necked up to 6.5 to match the bore and a reamer for the x57 case was large enough to clean up the existing chamber. The result is a 6.5 Roberts or 6.5x257 Roberts in standard or Ackley versions. Another name for the Ackley version is the 260 AAR (All Around Rifle). I think I have dies and a reamer for the standard version and dies for the AAR.
Ah, I see and thanks for that background. It makes a lot more sense now. :)

I would assume the same is true for the 6.5 carcanos (6.5x52 vs the Arisaka at 6.5x50) that all came home as well?

I’d have to sit down with paper to be sure, but it looks like you may be able to have a gunsmith take a tenth of an inch off the chamber end and rechamber it in 6.5-284.

If the dimensions work out, you’d be able to keep the barrel and have nothing but a rather small amount of labor in the project. Use the oddball caliber to haggle the price down and you may be able to have a really useful rifle at very little cost.

Interesting find on the preowned rack at my local Cabelas store today. A Remington 798 that has been rebuilt with what appears to be a McMillan-type stock and a 26 inch E.R. Shaw barrel marked "6.5/257 Ackley". Never heard of the caliber, but based on a quick internet search, I think this is also known as the "6.5 Roberts Improved". I assume that caliber is produced via a combination of the 257 Roberts AI with the neck sized up to 6.5mm(?). Making one's own brass and reloading for it should be "interesting". It strikes me as an unnecessarily complex way to recreate the 6.5 Swede or Creedmoor. Anyone ever cross paths with this caliber?

Btw, it's probably a sure bet the original owner had well more than that asking price into this build; I'm thinking maybe a grand or so.

View attachment 600482

View attachment 600483

View attachment 600484
@cash_tx
But it and run a 263 win mag reamer into it open the bolt face and you'll have a fantastic Kong range rifle that will shit all over the creedemore.
Bob
Just a thought

I would assume the same is true for the 6.5 carcanos (6.5x52 vs the Arisaka at 6.5x50) that all came home as well?
@mdwest
The 6.5 carcano is an unusual calibre that's actually .268 and from memory it has gain twist rifling so it's not a true 6.5
Bob

@cash_tx
But it and run a 263 win mag reamer into it open the bolt face and you'll have a fantastic Kong range rifle that will shit all over the creedemore.
Bob
Just a thought
It's a good idea, but I've just got too many other projects on hand right now. I actually need to get rid of a few before getting anything else. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.