505 Gibbs

Ah !
Ok now I get it, however slow I was to catch on.
For my thick skull I apologize.
Anywhooo, I would bet a cold pitcher of barley hops, yeast and water that, you will be tickled pink with your new rifle.

No apologies VeloDog! You have been of great help! I look forward to any of your posts sir. As for the rifle I hope you are right so and I cant wait! I am kind of bummed it has a dedicated brake but oh such is life! Case of beer for you coming up! Lol.

Cheers back at you!

Adam

No apologies VeloDog! You have been of great help! I look forward to any of your posts sir. As for the rifle I hope you are right so and I cant wait! I am kind of bummed it has a dedicated brake but oh such is life! Case of beer for you coming up! Lol.

Cheers back at you!

Adam

No worries man and I’m with you on muzzle brakes....disgusting.
However, all is not lost.
I have seen a rifle that was acceptably repaired, after someone had vandalized it, by threading the muzzle end of the barrel.
The present owner said that this thread cutting had been done by a previous owner, for a brake.

At any rate, before I ever saw the rifle, a professional Gunsmith had already machined a “thread protector” of steel and permanently affixed it to the rifle.
According to the present owner, his Gunsmith had applied an “industrial adhesive” (Green Loktite?) to the threads.
And so, the chance of this piece working itself loose, was pretty much non-existent.

If it were my rifle, I believe I would have a banded front sight installed, to cover the admittedly slight, “hairline” seam.
Even if I was not fond of iron sights on all my rifles, (regardless of wether or not they also are scoped), this “thread protector” looked quite acceptable, at least to me it did.

Last edited:
So you are a 500 Jeffery man, got it.

I have a 500 Jeffery I love, but would've bought a 505 Gibbs but couldn't afford building a custom rifle on an action that was large enough for it (rim diameter). I learned early on to keep within the reloading range (which is pretty narrow) to avoid hang fires. I shoot 570g Barnes TSX's at 2300 fps about a grain below max with H4895, Jamison brass and Federal 215 primers. No issues, recoil is fine offhand a bit sporty off the bench lol

I have a 500 Jeffery I love, but would've bought a 505 Gibbs but couldn't afford building a custom rifle on an action that was large enough for it (rim diameter). I learned early on to keep within the reloading range (which is pretty narrow) to avoid hang fires. I shoot 570g Barnes TSX's at 2300 fps about a grain below max with H4895, Jamison brass and Federal 215 primers. No issues, recoil is fine offhand a bit sporty off the bench lol
Yeah I'm still looking around for a 500 or 505 both fairly hard to come buy here in Australia. I am half considering the Sako Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery as I was quoted a reasonable price for one new but I have had a terrible experience with Sako in the past and I know I will have to do work to it right out of the box, such as changing the recoil pad. They must not have rubber in Finland to make recoil pads, they must only have access to rocks! haha While the recoil pad is being changed Id probably get a recoil reducer installed as well. Anyway gives me something to shop around for and consider, I'm in no hurry so I will keep looking around.

Yeah I'm still looking around for a 500 or 505 both fairly hard to come buy here in Australia. I am half considering the Sako Brown Bear in 500 Jeffery as I was quoted a reasonable price for one new but I have had a terrible experience with Sako in the past and I know I will have to do work to it right out of the box, such as changing the recoil pad. They must not have rubber in Finland to make recoil pads, they must only have access to rocks! haha While the recoil pad is being changed Id probably get a recoil reducer installed as well. Anyway gives me something to shop around for and consider, I'm in no hurry so I will keep looking around.

There’s a Cooper .505 Gibbs on Used Guns at present.

I had a .500 Jeffery in the Sako Brown Bear. Had a better recoil pad and finer bead installed. It fed beautifully. The most emphatic rifle for buffalo I’ve experienced. I sold it because I felt a bit uncomfortable with it (the recoil) when I wasn’t feeling 100%. When I was feeling healthy the recoil was fine.

There’s a Cooper .505 Gibbs on Used Guns at present.

I had a .500 Jeffery in the Sako Brown Bear. Had a better recoil pad and finer bead installed. It fed beautifully. The most emphatic rifle for buffalo I’ve experienced. I sold it because I felt a bit uncomfortable with it (the recoil) when I wasn’t feeling 100%. When I was feeling healthy the recoil was fine.
Yeah I think with a decent recoil pad and a bit of extra weight and/or a recoil reducer I’d be ok with the recoil but as is out of the box bugger that!
I talked to they guy selling the cooper 505 Gibbs, it seems like a nice rifle but I have zero experience with this brand and I can’t find any info online about there model 58 DGR either. Anyone got any experience with these rifles?

Hey Aussie_Hunter, you appear to have a bad case of the" big bore" bug.
haha yep I've always had it! Mind you once I buy a 500 or 505 I think I will be fairly satisfied. Actually having said that I haven't got anything in the 416's yet hmmmmm haha

Yeah I think with a decent recoil pad and a bit of extra weight and/or a recoil reducer I’d be ok with the recoil but as is out of the box bugger that!
I talked to they guy selling the cooper 505 Gibbs, it seems like a nice rifle but I have zero experience with this brand and I can’t find any info online about there model 58 DGR either. Anyone got any experience with these rifles?

Being a wuss, I had Harlan at the CZ custom shop install 2 mercury recoil reducers in my 500 Jeffery when he built it. The balance point is perfect for me, right in the middle of the magazine floor plate. It weighs 12 lbs with a Leupold 1.5-5x with Talley QR steel rings (unloaded). I wouldn't want it much lighter.

Being a wuss, I had Harlan at the CZ custom shop install 2 mercury recoil reducers in my 500 Jeffery when he built it. The balance point is perfect for me, right in the middle of the magazine floor plate. It weighs 12 lbs with a Leupold 1.5-5x with Talley QR steel rings (unloaded). I wouldn't want it much lighter.
Just curious as to what size reducers you installed?

My 458 Lott is only 9.5lbs scoped, it’s pretty lively! I’m still considering putting a recoil reducer in it.

They do come up forsale in australia.
i found one last june-ish $4200 it cost me cz550 custom shop, with dies brass and projectiles, pretty hard hitting... iv shot my 458lott with some reasonably hot rounds and it bloody boots, but this thing is a whole other level...
if you manage to find a .505 gibbs let me know, iv got a spare set of dies sitting in my office.

They do come up forsale in australia.
i found one last june-ish $4200 it cost me cz550 custom shop, with dies brass and projectiles, pretty hard hitting... iv shot my 458lott with some reasonably hot rounds and it bloody boots, but this thing is a whole other level...
if you manage to find a .505 gibbs let me know, iv got a spare set of dies sitting in my office.
I'll keep looking around I'm sure I will find a good deal eventually, not really settled on a specific calibre yet either. Bloody good to know someone with a set of 505 dies though I bet they would be close to impossible to find in Australia!

I'll keep looking around I'm sure I will find a good deal eventually, not really settled on a specific calibre yet either. Bloody good to know someone with a set of 505 dies though I bet they would be close to impossible to find in Australia!

noia can get them for you, for around $600, brass is available from bertram brass in seymore and bullets from woodleigh.
both bertram and wooleigh are excellent too deal with.

i got a set of dies with the gun when i brought it, but had been buying reloading gear before finding one... mine came with about 120 cases and 50 projectiles too.
another option is find a cz550 in winmag and change the barrel over too jeff or gibbs.
and have the action worked over, that was my plan to begin with, i think trophyfirearms in essendon victoria has sake in .500 jeff...

noia can get them for you, for around $600, brass is available from bertram brass in seymore and bullets from woodleigh.
both bertram and wooleigh are excellent too deal with.

i got a set of dies with the gun when i brought it, but had been buying reloading gear before finding one... mine came with about 120 cases and 50 projectiles too.
another option is find a cz550 in winmag and change the barrel over too jeff or gibbs.
and have the action worked over, that was my plan to begin with, i think trophyfirearms in essendon victoria has sake in .500 jeff...
Yeah I got a quote on a brown bear 500 Jeffery already and the price was actually much better than I thought it would be. $600 for a set of dies haha they don't miss ya do they!

Yeah I got a quote on a brown bear 500 Jeffery already and the price was actually much better than I thought it would be. $600 for a set of dies haha they don't miss ya do they!
nah i brought them threw brownells.com in the states for around half that thankfully... didnt get stung gst or anything on the import
theres a cz550 .505gibbs item, #255
https://www.australianarmsauctions.com/june-2020-on-line-catalogue-3/
who knows when the auction will actually go ahead though, that gun didnt sell in their last auction last year aswel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.13 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.15 AM.png
    658.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.16 AM.png
    877.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.17 AM.png
    794.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.18 AM.png
    820 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.19 AM.png
    847.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.32.21 AM.png
    808.5 KB · Views: 72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyRav

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.