Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA, RW, SCI
Hunted
Australia, South Africa, NZ
Hi All,

A bit of background to my current problem... I am turning 40 late in 2015, and my beautiful wife has given me $20,000 to go and have fun with. (Yes I am blessed!!) We live in Australia now, but I was born and grew up in South Africa.

I have hunted in South Africa many times, and have taken all the PG I fancy, plus a cape buffalo which was a highlight indeed. My trophy room is just not big enough to cope.

I am now wondering what to hunt next... Grizzly Bear in Alaska? Leopard in Namibia? Tuskless elephant in Zim? An obscure PG?

In truth I am a bit lost for direction...

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament, or does anyone have any ideas about what I should tackle next with the budget I have?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Ado.

I think your in the best predicament as all you have to do is choose. If I was handed 20,000$ today my choices would be a SA lion hunt, Namibia Leopard, or Hippo and croc combo hunt. With that money you probably could get a 2 bear hunt or i believe in Australia you can import Polar Bears and go on a Polar Bear hunt. Maybe that Dove hunt in the great deals section right now and go for a red stag as well. Or do just a dove hunt and then fly to get a bear. Your budget would be tight with the air fair though.

For me that would be a hard choice between the grizzly hunt or leopard.I think with that budget you could try for a grizz and maybe a moose or goat to as a combo.

Your a lucky man getting a gift like that.Have fun with which ever you pick.

I think your in the best predicament as all you have to do is choose. If I was handed 20,000$ today my choices would be a SA lion hunt, Namibia Leopard, or Hippo and croc combo hunt. With that money you probably could get a 2 bear hunt or i believe in Australia you can import Polar Bears and go on a Polar Bear hunt. Maybe that Dove hunt in the great deals section right now and go for a red stag as well. Or do just a dove hunt and then fly to get a bear. Your budget would be tight with the air fair though.

I would have thought polar bears would be like rhino's - worth a kings ransom?

It sure is! A taxidermist I have used in the past had gone on a polar bear hunt last year at a discounted rate of $40K US. As we're in Canada, obviously there are no importation problems.

What a problem to have!!! And Pieter is right, keep the wife happy!!!!!

This is such a personal choice.... Personally, I want my next DG hunt to be leopard/tuskless, so I will lean to one of those. If I had to only chose one I'd go with tuskless, unless I got a deal on leopard that made it to good to pass up.

You can't go wrong with anything on your list though!

Going to put it into another perspective, you mentioned you are turning 40, I would go and find the hardest most difficult hunt for a species I really want and that is uncommon in most trophy rooms. It all depends on the person, but life being what it is we spend less and less time getting fit after 40 years of age, walking or sitting in a blind waiting for a cat you can do at almost any age. Climbing mountains on foot for days or hunting in the snow and freezing cold in the Artic is a challange I hope to someday test myself against. No matter what species I would hunt, I would make sure it will be the hardest hunt (physically) I could find out there. Good luck on making a chioce, its a nice problem to have:)

Going to put it into another perspective, you mentioned you are turning 40, I would go and find the hardest most difficult hunt for a species I really want and that is uncommon in most trophy rooms. It all depends on the person, but life being what it is we spend less and less time getting fit after 40 years of age, walking or sitting in a blind waiting for a cat you can do at almost any age. Climbing mountains on foot for days or hunting in the snow and freezing cold in the Artic is a challange I hope to someday test myself against. No matter what species I would hunt, I would make sure it will be the hardest hunt (physically) I could find out there. Good luck on making a chioce, its a nice problem to have:)

I think Tokkie is giving you excellent advice!

Congratulations on your dilemma. I hope you enjoy what you choose.

Understand that hunting wild North America is not a guaranteed trophy. Honest Outfitters will try hard for you but there is no guarantee of success. Certainly not for the trophies you are considering to hunt here.

If you have not been to the right side up part of the world you might find it refreshing or just a new adventure.

No Polar bears behind high fences here. The poachers tend to get eaten or freeze to death.
Canada has 60 percent of the worlds population of Polar Bears. They can still be hunted with the Inuit guides in Nunavut.

One option (and I mean one of the options) :
Not sure about the budget but you can ask.
http://www.canadanorthoutfitting.com/polar_bear.shtml

Another Hunt Option: BC.
Grizzly Bears, Moose, Goats, Black Bears, etc
http://fredlundguideservice.com/hunts/

Good luck.

My 12 day elephant bull hunt with Threeways Safaris was discounted to $20, 000. So why do tuskless?

Of course there was airfare, tips, incedentals,... and that buffalo I was able to add. All on top yet.

It was physically challenging but very rewarding. I fully agree with the advice to push yourself before you get older! Wish I had done more adventurous hunting at 40. Not sure if I can handle the mountain stuff as well now.

Hi All,

A bit of background to my current problem... I am turning 40 late in 2015, and my beautiful wife has given me $20,000 to go and have fun with. (Yes I am blessed!!) We live in Australia now, but I was born and grew up in South Africa.

I have hunted in South Africa many times, and have taken all the PG I fancy, plus a cape buffalo which was a highlight indeed. My trophy room is just not big enough to cope.

I am now wondering what to hunt next... Grizzly Bear in Alaska? Leopard in Namibia? Tuskless elephant in Zim? An obscure PG?

In truth I am a bit lost for direction...

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament, or does anyone have any ideas about what I should tackle next with the budget I have?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Ado.
Hello Ado

If I were in your position and looking for a new experience other than Africa, my dream hunt would be Mountain goat in North America and Alpine Ibex in Europe.

Im not sure of the prices and tags etc but I'm sure somebody on this forum could find Outfitters and Prices for you.

Only an Idea

Regards

I'd go for either the leopard or the tuskless depending on what outfitters you know.

Welcome to AH Ado!

Instead of one hunt, why not several? Maybe like Saskatchewan Caribou and a Texas whitetail, and an Alaskan Blackbear. Or Central America wingshooting, and NZ Red Stag and Hawaiian Goat? The possibilities are endless....

My only question is. Does she have an older sister :)

You are a lucky guy.

Happy birthday have a great time wherever you go. Keep that woman happy! Have fun out there.

Welcome to AH.

Take a look at some smaller - closer destinations to look at. Travel cost seem to be escalating year by year.

I would check Asia for goats and sheep if that trips your fancy.

I am not sure what you have hunted in New Zealand or Australia. Less travel could result in more trophy's secured in your neck of the woods.

Look at a elk / caribou / moose / black bear / mountain goat hunt. or a combo of these trophy's.

South America has some great wing shooting and some big game.

I'd plan for leopard hunt or grizzly bear hunt.

Welcome to AH Ado, nice problem you have !

I would go for hippo and croc, also some of the less common PG that you might not have, such as Lechwe. Puku, Sitatunga, Tsessebe ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatildaGra

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.