Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
ok so about a week ago I got an itch to rebuild my savage model 116 in 300 wm. I love the caliber but the factory rifle sucked. Being a savage action I figured it's got great bones. I ordered and installed a timney trigger as the factory trigger was about a 200 lb pull. A Choate stock, and a Caldwell 6-9" bipod (I love short bipods for shooting prone) Then I figured a new barrel was in order so I got a stainless E.R Shaw heavy Barrel ( on back order but paid for). Then I figured a bolt ball and buttstock ammo holder (also back ordered) would do nice. Trigger installation is done, new stock is on, bipod installed, and I put a scope mounted picatinny rail for a laser that was given to me as a gift.
Here is what I got so far.
image.jpg
No real reason for installing the laser but it was a gift and is a cool toy. The damn thing is bright as a Christmas tree at 100 yards in the daylight so I figured I'd put it on there. It's at the ranch but I will install it Tuesday when I get back from the ranch. The new trigger is awesome, I prefer lightish triggers and I set it at about a pound with no travel. It's AWESOME!!!!! Can't wait for the barrel and other toys to show up so I can install them and go shoot! I think when she's finished I'll probably start using it for everything. I don't claim to be an expert shooter but the distance bug bit me and I've started to really enjoy longer range target shooting. I figured she will get the job done when I'm finished with all the upgrades.

I have an older 16 in a 7-08 that makes one ragged hole pretty much at 100 yds.
I always shot it well until I got a 116 in 300wsm with a accutrigger. it shoots really tight too, but
I found that I could no longer shoot the ragged hole with my 7-08 after getting used to the light accutrigger.
So, I ordered a timney for the 7-08 and it shoots superb.

I can't imagine either shooting better with a new barrel or basically anything else.
The old 7-08 is the cheap tupperware stock, but does the job nicely.

I really want to buy the Savage Bear Hunter in a magnum, but I want a 416, which they do not make.
I might eventually decide to get the 375ruger in it. But, the only thing holding me back is that I don't really
know that I will ever go hunt a grizzly or cape buffalo, as much as I'd like to.

I guess you could say I like Savage rifles. yours is really nice.

Thanks, a lot of this is just a, cause I've always wanted to type thing. That being said though, I think it will be a heckava shooter when finished.

Well she's finished. Just need to go shoot her and see how she shoots. New barrel went in pretty smooth.
image.jpeg

3oo WM seems like a nice swap and Savages are a great platform. Iv'e done a 7mm-08 and a 338-06 using heavy sporter Apache arms barrels with great success

Well I'm hoping it delivers what I'm looking for. I've wanted a long range shooter for a long time and it was much cheaper to rebuild than to buy new.

What Barrel length did you decide on?

I went the same way 24" I think anything longer would make the build barrel heavy

I had the same thought, rifle seems to balance well with the shorter barrel. I wanted one a touch longer but couldn't find what I wanted without getting too carried away. I think this one will be a good happy medium. I've read good stuff on er shaw barrels so we'll see.

I have a Shaw on a Mex Mauser 22-250 cal, and it shoots ok. I haven't had time to really get it really dialed in. The Apache Arms barrels shoot great
P1010027.JPG

Gizmo you gotta take that pony for a ride and let us know if it bucks! New toys are soooo much fun!

I still think you need a bigger scope Erik. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you