Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
ok so about a week ago I got an itch to rebuild my savage model 116 in 300 wm. I love the caliber but the factory rifle sucked. Being a savage action I figured it's got great bones. I ordered and installed a timney trigger as the factory trigger was about a 200 lb pull. A Choate stock, and a Caldwell 6-9" bipod (I love short bipods for shooting prone) Then I figured a new barrel was in order so I got a stainless E.R Shaw heavy Barrel ( on back order but paid for). Then I figured a bolt ball and buttstock ammo holder (also back ordered) would do nice. Trigger installation is done, new stock is on, bipod installed, and I put a scope mounted picatinny rail for a laser that was given to me as a gift.
Here is what I got so far.
image.jpg
No real reason for installing the laser but it was a gift and is a cool toy. The damn thing is bright as a Christmas tree at 100 yards in the daylight so I figured I'd put it on there. It's at the ranch but I will install it Tuesday when I get back from the ranch. The new trigger is awesome, I prefer lightish triggers and I set it at about a pound with no travel. It's AWESOME!!!!! Can't wait for the barrel and other toys to show up so I can install them and go shoot! I think when she's finished I'll probably start using it for everything. I don't claim to be an expert shooter but the distance bug bit me and I've started to really enjoy longer range target shooting. I figured she will get the job done when I'm finished with all the upgrades.

I have an older 16 in a 7-08 that makes one ragged hole pretty much at 100 yds.
I always shot it well until I got a 116 in 300wsm with a accutrigger. it shoots really tight too, but
I found that I could no longer shoot the ragged hole with my 7-08 after getting used to the light accutrigger.
So, I ordered a timney for the 7-08 and it shoots superb.

I can't imagine either shooting better with a new barrel or basically anything else.
The old 7-08 is the cheap tupperware stock, but does the job nicely.

I really want to buy the Savage Bear Hunter in a magnum, but I want a 416, which they do not make.
I might eventually decide to get the 375ruger in it. But, the only thing holding me back is that I don't really
know that I will ever go hunt a grizzly or cape buffalo, as much as I'd like to.

I guess you could say I like Savage rifles. yours is really nice.

Thanks, a lot of this is just a, cause I've always wanted to type thing. That being said though, I think it will be a heckava shooter when finished.

Well she's finished. Just need to go shoot her and see how she shoots. New barrel went in pretty smooth.
image.jpeg

3oo WM seems like a nice swap and Savages are a great platform. Iv'e done a 7mm-08 and a 338-06 using heavy sporter Apache arms barrels with great success

Well I'm hoping it delivers what I'm looking for. I've wanted a long range shooter for a long time and it was much cheaper to rebuild than to buy new.

What Barrel length did you decide on?

I went the same way 24" I think anything longer would make the build barrel heavy

I had the same thought, rifle seems to balance well with the shorter barrel. I wanted one a touch longer but couldn't find what I wanted without getting too carried away. I think this one will be a good happy medium. I've read good stuff on er shaw barrels so we'll see.

I have a Shaw on a Mex Mauser 22-250 cal, and it shoots ok. I haven't had time to really get it really dialed in. The Apache Arms barrels shoot great
P1010027.JPG

Gizmo you gotta take that pony for a ride and let us know if it bucks! New toys are soooo much fun!

I still think you need a bigger scope Erik. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg