2023 SCI Convention in Nashville

'Center of the Country. Fun place. Real good food. RIP Charlie Daniels. I can drive there (more apt to go!) Diff. sort of entertainment...

It's not about road width. It's about the way the highway changes, interchanges and idiot drivers who which lanes even if there isn't any room to switch lanes just to get back in the lane they just moved out of and big trucks of all types blocking the exit a driver needs to get on.

Morning rush/race 2 hours (6:30-8:45) is worse because there is at least 1 to 4 wrecks to back up traffic for miles on all the highways. The evening not so bad generally 0 to 1 during the evening rush/race hours (3:00-6:00) generally on I-40, I-26, and I-65.

Whomever designed the highway system around the east side of Nashville must have been on some serious drugs.

Since I haven't experienced Europe yet, I can't compare which is worse. But driving in the wrong lane (left lane as opposed to the US right lane) is rather scary.oh
Sounds like Uber would be better than renting a car for sure.

Does anyone who has been there know if the Drury has an airport shuttle? Of what’s the best way to get there from the Airport?
We use Uber in most cities instead of shuttles or car rental.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. They are aggressive and fast drivers but I’ve never had a problem driving my truck around. If you’ve ever driven in Montreal you’ve survived much worse than Nashville.

So there are no western hunting shows with Africa as a center point in 2023?

That really sucks.

Not sure what all the driving in Nashville problems are about. Unless you are taking a trip to Opryland, you will not need a car in Downtown Nashville. All the entertainment is walking or Uber distance.

I read that the SCI convention will be in Nashville next year. I’m surprised. The moves from Reno to Vegas to Reno seemed like shopping for the best deal. Nashville is a real break from tradition. I’ve never been to SCI but have always enjoyed the DSC show. With Nashville just a 4.5 hour drive I’m more willing to try the SCI in addition to the DSC. I wonder if the SCI faithful will make the trek to Nashville. What are your thoughts about the move?
I always go to DSC every year. When I lived in Dallas and they had SCI there I went but when it moved I stopped going. Given I live in Atlanta I absolutely will be driving to it in 23 and taking my wife to make a nice short vacation

I've been to Nashville dozens of times for work. Rented car or drove from KC almost every time. Yeah, traffic at rush hour is busy but name a major city that doesn't.

Not sure what all the driving in Nashville problems are about. Unless you are taking a trip to Opryland, you will not need a car in Downtown Nashville. All the entertainment is walking or Uber distance.

I drive routinely to the V.A. Medical Center on the Vanderbilt Campus "across the bridge" from the downtown of Nashville.

Morning and evening work traffic, respectfully, on all the major highways going into and out of Nashville is to say the least chaotic.

The on /off ramps prior to entering the "downtown" area is maddening in the design with left and right lane on/off I-40 merges. Add in speed demon drivers trying to get from the left lane to the right, and the right lane drivers trying to get to the left lane, and all other drivers trying to get one or two cars ahead before their exit 1/4 - 1/2 mile away and then there are those slow drivers in all the lanes backing up traffic, and then include the big rigs that can't get over to their respective exit/ lane. This is all happening at the same time.

Seriously, if there is a 1/4 car link between you and the car in front of you someone is going to cut in front of you only to get 1, 2, or maybe 3, cars ahead of the lane they just left only to get back into that lane in the same manner they cut in front of you and then you will see them swing wildly onto the exit ramp they nearly missed.

Granted these are my experiences coming into Nashville from the east: Knoxville to Nashville. Coming into Nashville from the North on I-65 or I-24 from Clarksville to Nashville isn't quite as chaotic, but still chaotic as you get closer to the I-40 interchange. Coming up I-24 from the south, Chattanooga to Nashville is worse than coming down from the north, but still not as bad from the east. Now from the west on I-40 Memphis/Jackson I haven't a whole lot of experiences, IMO It maybe second worse way, a toss up between the south and west directions.

Referring to I-40. Once in the downtown or in the downtown vicinity, well it's like being in the eye of the storm, sort of typical highway driving through any other moderately large city.

Downtown driving is a pain,, but so is driving in downtown Dallas, Phoenix, Tucson, Cincinnati, or Seattle. A heck of a lot better than LA, New York, Chicago, and marginally even St. Louis.

Having only attended the Sportsman show in Harrisburg, PA and few other large events as I've read/heard that compares to the SCI conventions. I have no doubts that many of those attending the SCI will either opt or will have to seek hotel rooms outside the downtown area: such as Lebanon (to the east), Murfreesboro (to the south) not sure of the nearest cost friendly hotels to the north or west.

For myself, I plan on staying at Edgar Evins State Park. The park has cabins, as well as primitive and full hook up campsites and is less than an hour (if you time the commute right) from downtown Nashville. Very nice bathroom and shower facilities, and the lake is right there so a little fishing before, during, and/or after the convention. Other near to outside of Nashville state parks include Long Hunter and Cedars of Lebanon.

Every state has a city that locals complain about driving in or around, ie Missouri has St. Louis, New York has New York City, etc. Well in Tennessee we have Nashville. Driving into Nashville sucks period.

However, Tennessee has notably 3 great places:
East TN: Sevierville/Gatlinburg,
Middle TN: Nashville,
West TN: Graceland,

Long winded, but just wanted to clarify it's not the driving in and around the downtown, it's the driving on the outskirts of the city to get to downtown.

Rush hour(s) is the same in any big city. It’s not any worse or better then anywhere else. But you only have the problem driving into and out of Nashville the rest of the time your downtown.

If I make it in February, it will be airport, Uber or bus on Thursday, then the reverse on Sunday. I have driven around Nashville on I 40 several times many years ago going back and forth to Ft. Bragg. But never into the city sight seeing.

I've been to Nashville dozens of times for work. Rented car or drove from KC almost every time. Yeah, traffic at rush hour is busy but name a major city that doesn't.
Agree! Been to Nashville dozens of times. Traffic no better or worse than other US city’s. No need to worry about staying in the suburbs.

Not going to Nashville.

Vegas and Reno are handy to those in the West.

Nashville is a long damn way to go to spend money.

Dallas I would have probably done.

More hunters in the eastern U.S. Now you see it from our side

Last edited:
It's not about road width. It's about the way the highway changes, interchanges and idiot drivers who which lanes even if there isn't any room to switch lanes just to get back in the lane they just moved out of and big trucks of all types blocking the exit a driver needs to get on.

Morning rush/race 2 hours (6:30-8:45) is worse because there is at least 1 to 4 wrecks to back up traffic for miles on all the highways. The evening not so bad generally 0 to 1 during the evening rush/race hours (3:00-6:00) generally on I-40, I-26, and I-65.

Whomever designed the highway system around the east side of Nashville must have been on some serious drugs.

Since I haven't experienced Europe yet, I can't compare which is worse. But driving in the wrong lane (left lane as opposed to the US right lane) is rather scary.oh

Uhhhh....nope most of Europe has the steering wheel on same side as yours...ie the wrong left side in the vehicle ...uk...lot of African countries..some Asian countries and the ones upside down have it positioned correctly in the vehicle in front of the right front seat... (y)

Besides having a pretty poorly designed road system, Ridge Runner did a great job describing the interstate portion, driving in Nashville and the surrounding area is no more difficult traffic-wise, than any other city. The bigger challenge is navigating the disconnected pieces of roads with the same name. Even having lived there and learning to drive there doesn't always help when I return and am out trying to find places and there are 5 different sections of Old Hickory Blvd in 4 different suburbs. Just one of many examples.
Nashville is a great example of unplanned urban sprawl. The roads have always been pretty low on the priority list. Btw, on the secondary and surface streets, keep your tires on the paved side of the white line. There are seldom any shoulders, rather, the white stripe marks the top edge of a typically steep, deep, ditch.
But since I have family to stay with, and it's been a while since I visited, might have to make the convention just to see what it's like. Never been to an SCI or DSC convention. Sounds like they can be a lot of fun.

I drive routinely to the V.A. Medical Center on the Vanderbilt Campus "across the bridge" from the downtown of Nashville.

Morning and evening work traffic, respectfully, on all the major highways going into and out of Nashville is to say the least chaotic.

The on /off ramps prior to entering the "downtown" area is maddening in the design with left and right lane on/off I-40 merges. Add in speed demon drivers trying to get from the left lane to the right, and the right lane drivers trying to get to the left lane, and all other drivers trying to get one or two cars ahead before their exit 1/4 - 1/2 mile away and then there are those slow drivers in all the lanes backing up traffic, and then include the big rigs that can't get over to their respective exit/ lane. This is all happening at the same time.

Seriously, if there is a 1/4 car link between you and the car in front of you someone is going to cut in front of you only to get 1, 2, or maybe 3, cars ahead of the lane they just left only to get back into that lane in the same manner they cut in front of you and then you will see them swing wildly onto the exit ramp they nearly missed.

Granted these are my experiences coming into Nashville from the east: Knoxville to Nashville. Coming into Nashville from the North on I-65 or I-24 from Clarksville to Nashville isn't quite as chaotic, but still chaotic as you get closer to the I-40 interchange. Coming up I-24 from the south, Chattanooga to Nashville is worse than coming down from the north, but still not as bad from the east. Now from the west on I-40 Memphis/Jackson I haven't a whole lot of experiences, IMO It maybe second worse way, a toss up between the south and west directions.

Referring to I-40. Once in the downtown or in the downtown vicinity, well it's like being in the eye of the storm, sort of typical highway driving through any other moderately large city.

Downtown driving is a pain,, but so is driving in downtown Dallas, Phoenix, Tucson, Cincinnati, or Seattle. A heck of a lot better than LA, New York, Chicago, and marginally even St. Louis.

Having only attended the Sportsman show in Harrisburg, PA and few other large events as I've read/heard that compares to the SCI conventions. I have no doubts that many of those attending the SCI will either opt or will have to seek hotel rooms outside the downtown area: such as Lebanon (to the east), Murfreesboro (to the south) not sure of the nearest cost friendly hotels to the north or west.

For myself, I plan on staying at Edgar Evins State Park. The park has cabins, as well as primitive and full hook up campsites and is less than an hour (if you time the commute right) from downtown Nashville. Very nice bathroom and shower facilities, and the lake is right there so a little fishing before, during, and/or after the convention. Other near to outside of Nashville state parks include Long Hunter and Cedars of Lebanon.

Every state has a city that locals complain about driving in or around, ie Missouri has St. Louis, New York has New York City, etc. Well in Tennessee we have Nashville. Driving into Nashville sucks period.

However, Tennessee has notably 3 great places:
East TN: Sevierville/Gatlinburg,
Middle TN: Nashville,
West TN: Graceland,

Long winded, but just wanted to clarify it's not the driving in and around the downtown, it's the driving on the outskirts of the city to get to downtown.
When the NRA Annual Meeting was scheduled to be in Nashville in 2020, we had reserved a hotel just north of the airport. There seem to be a lot of decent places in the less than $100 a night category.

The last time the NRA was actually held there I stayed at a hotel near Opryland. I found that you could avoid a lot of the worst traffic if you came in on Donelson Pike rather than I-40. Things might have changed since then.

Uhhhh....nope most of Europe has the steering wheel on same side as yours...ie the wrong left side in the vehicle ...uk...lot of African countries..some Asian countries and the ones upside down have it positioned correctly in the vehicle in front of the right front seat... (y)
The Japanese drive on the wrong side of the road too

Neither Nancy nor I "get" Vegas. We are excited about going to Nashville. Will probably generate a lot of other DSC membership to attend as well.
I look forward to meeting Mrs Redleg and seeing you there Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.