Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Republic of Congo, Canada
This was posted elsewhere by Neil Duckworth of Mokore Safaris. I received his permission to repost and would like to thank the Brickburn and Jerome for allowing me to post on this site.

As the letter below states we can make contributions to the ZPHGA through Conservation Force. I called Conservation Force yesterday and they told me to mail the donations to:

Conservation Force
3240 South I-10 Service Road West
Suite 200
Metairie, Louisiana 70001-6911

The money can be wired as stated below. Just make certain it is tagged for the ZPHGA. This a good cause Louis Muller et al are good people.

This is the link for the Conservation Force website.

https://www.conservationforce.org/index.html

The new website for the ZPHGA is:

http://zphga.org/

They also have a Facebook page.

Below is the original letter via Neil from Louis.

Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association
MUKUVISI WOODLANDS COMPLEX TEL: +263-4-702402
HILLSIDE RD/ GLENARA AVE SOUTH EMAIL: zphga1@gmail.com
HARARE soaz1@mweb.co.zw
ZIMBABWE Website: www.soaz.net

Dear Hunter

RE: LION SUSPENSION AND ONGOING BATTLE AGAINST HUNTING

The closing of Lion imports has had a massive negative impact on Zimbabwe following the Elephant Suspension. Whilst the elephant ban was specific to Zimbabwe and Tanzania the lion "ban" now includes the whole of Africa. The urgency and importance of re-opening these animals is of paramount importance to the protection and survival of all our other wildlife not just the Elephant and Lion.
The contribution of those two key species to each areas budget, is by far the most significant. Losing these key species has a drastic impact on budgets for Anti-poaching and conservation projects (water projects, community projects etc), since operating expenses remain the same. The entire protection of our wildlife outside of protected areas is therefore under threat.
Further, if the USFWS can close these two key species until a “Non- detrimental finding” of hunting those animals are established, then what prevents them from doing the same for other key species, like Leopard, Hippo, Croc etc?
Zimbabwe has a very good argument in sustainable utilization, however it has been made clear to us that, the policy makers will only listen to researchers and scientists. ZPHGA therefore will undertake various measures to once and for all establish NDF’s on all key species within our borders.
Firstly we need to gather all information on Lion Hunting in Zimbabwe including the finances and contribution Lion hunting brings to conservation projects down to the last penny. This needs to be incorporated with the National management plan and NDF. A massive undertaking. Vernon Booth, a well-respected researcher has agreed to undertake this task. Zimbabwe established a Lion Management plan in 2013, so unlike Elephant, we are already 2 years down the road in getting our ducks in a row. There is still however much to do.
Secondly from the “Hunting Turnaround Strategy” workshop held in Harare in June 22/23rd, it was agreed that a workshop should be held on Elephant, Buffalo, Hippo, Croc, Leopard and Sable separately. And each key specie should have a National management plan.
Leopard will clearly be the next target by the Anti-hunting Lobbyists. A leopard workshop has already been approved by ZPWMA for March 2016. We need to anticipate the next move of the antis and be able to justify hunting as we all know, is key to the African wildlife.
Zimbabwe has had a tremendous amount of pressure on its wildlife in the past 16 years, yet somehow we have managed with so few stakeholders, to keep the core together. However, this new threat is external and more dangerous than what we have ever experienced. The future of our wildlife, habitat and ecosystems is now in the hands of foreign forces or airlines. The only way ZPHGA will succeed is with help. But succeed we must.
We need to contract researches to do the studies. We need a CEO for at least 2 years to co-ordinate the workload as we are currently run by volunteers and there simply is too much to handle. We need him/her to lobby ZPWMA, USFWS and the airlines.
However, to do this takes money. Simple.
We simply now need to find the funds to move forward. We know what needs to be done.
Therefore ZPHGA’s initial goal is to raise a minimum of $300,000 to ensure we can achieve our goal and maintain this research and program for 3 years. We ask every PH, Operator in Zimbabwe to contribute however you can. We ask every hunter that is passionate about Hunting these African animals, or passionate about Zimbabwe or just simply a conservationist to contribute.
John Jackson from Conservation Force has agreed to accept and administer the funds. Contributions can be made out to Conservation Force with a memo attached: To ZPHGA
Mailing address: Bank wiring instructions:
Conservation Force Conservation Force Trust Account Chase Bank
P.O. Box 278 Routing :065400137
Metairie, LA 70004-0278 Account:3356656800

By doing so, funds can be tax deducted in the USA. Zimbabweans can donate to the ZPHGA office in Harare.
A set of accounts would be drafted by December of each year to account of money utilized during the year. This would be done by the finance committee of ZPHGA and approved by the executive committee. This report will be sent to Conservation Force and sent to donors.
By doing this initiative, ZPHGA will hopefully produce a blue print of what needs to be done and how to do it, for the rest of Africa to follow suite, so whilst these funds are predominantly for the Zimbabwe situation they will have a positive impact on the rest of Africa as well.

If we do not succeed, it will be the end of our wildlife.
For any further details please do not hesitate to contact me.

On behalf of Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association

Yours Truly
L. Muller
Chairman Z.P.H.G.A

Every member that talks about "Boots on the Ground" should take note of this request for help.

I wonder if Mr Muller can update us on efforts thus far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois