Franco

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
I recently received an email from the Zimbabwe Prof Guides Assn apologizing for an advertisement which recently appeared in the DSC Show catelogue. Does anyone know what this is about?

The email appeared to be directed to members of DSC.

I didn't receive the apology email from ZPGA, but here is a picture of their advertisement on page 81 of the DSC Official Show Program.

IMG_1100.jpeg

The statement makes more sense now. That ad could be interpreted as an ad from ZPGA when it’s really from the outfitters listed. The ZPGA statement simply says the ad was a private initiative and they support all their members not just the ones listed on that ad. The official statement going to everyone on DSC mailing list was probably unnecessary, probably should’ve been an internal memo to not happen again.

I did not get the email, but I don't the take that other outfitters are not ethical because they did not pay for an ad in Lone Star Outdoor News Convention Issue.

Last edited:
I got the email and I think they did the right thing to say that's not our position or messaging. It was an incorrect usage of their logo and likeness. I bet there will be some interesting conversations at DSC.

I got the email and I think they did the right thing to say that's not our position or messaging. It was an incorrect usage of their logo and likeness. I bet there will be some interesting conversations at DSC.
It would seem to me, the apology should come from those who posted the ad, not the ZPGA.

Interesting conversations - I would bet on it. I believe at least one of the outfitters listed is a member of the executive Committee of ZPGA.

Personally, I have had dealings with two of those named in the ad - so to be fair to the others of whom I know absolutely nothing - my decision not to return to Zim for another hunt was made made up months ago after my return. This ad serves merely to reinforce what comes across to me as a willingness to misrepresent and mislead.

I will not engage in a personal character assassination on this forum - it is not the place, and the outfitter has made restitution. Suffice it to say, I am not surprised.

I agree but ZPGA is wanting to get out in front of this and say they didn't have anything to do with it. That part is something they can control and you don't want to go into DSC with clients thinking ZPGA is way off the mark. Now they can put some pressure on their members to do what is right by the whole group.

As to returning to Zim, I do go back but with none of the groups listed in this topic. My PHs are part of other operators that are not listed here but are in excellent standing with ZPGA. That's the irony of the whole thing. Who's really the ethical ones?

I agree but ZPGA is wanting to get out in front of this and say they didn't have anything to do with it. That part is something they can control and you don't want to go into DSC with clients thinking ZPGA is way off the mark. Now they can put some pressure on their members to do what is right by the whole group.

As to returning to Zim, I do go back but with none of the groups listed in this topic. My PHs are part of other operators that are not listed here but are in excellent standing with ZPGA. That's the irony of the whole thing. Who's really the ethical ones?
You are spot on, sir.

Posting an ad extolling one's ethics, presented in a manner which suggests the endorsement of a professional organization, only to have that endorsement refuted - and the organization issue a letter of apology would certainly lead me to question that person's ethics.

I realize I shouldn't judge an entire county by the actions of a few, but when I contacted the ZPGA regarding the outfitter in question, they appeared to take little interest and less action.

We were scheduled to meet during DSC, but my surgery has prevented my attendance.

Yeah, I would be upset if I was a ZPGA member not listed in the ad. The ad implies that it is an exhaustive list, which it clearly isn’t. I doubt there was any deceptive intent.

I’m sure they will get it all sorted out and it won’t happen again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winworldrealty

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.