Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Austria, Slovakia
Buffalo hunting in Zimbabwe.

Period: End of rainy season, March 2024
Travel agent: HEMING, hunting travel agency, Slovakia
Professional hunter: Shingi, freelancer

Early January, while lying in bed on a cold, snowy evening, I was reading a book about hunting in Africa. I was trying to improve my German language skills as a foreign speaker. The book, written in German, was titled 'Auf den Fährten der Big Five: Vier Jahrzehnte Afrikajagd' (On the tracks of the Big Five: Four decades of hunting in Africa). The author of this piece, Rolf D. Baldus, is a hunter and conservationist. He has extensive experience in African hunting, having not only been on well-organized short hunting holidays, but also worked in wildlife management in Tanzania for over ten years (1). In summary, he has been hunting African game for over 40 years.

DSCF2085.jpg
Buffalo hunting in Africa as I imagined it. Here: Dete Valley, Gwayi.

I have been attracted to and fascinated by Africa since my youth, probably like many readers of this text. Hunting the 'Big Five' was a dream of mine, so I pursued it, for now at least through books. While „studying“ hunting in Africa, I spent many months preparing and planning my buffalo hunt. I knew from the start I would much rather travel and hunt with a friend who runs a hunting travel agency, because organizing such a big project all on my own would cause me a great deal of stress, consume a lot of my time, and really test my patience and determination. Even so, I didn’t see it happening sooner than in two or three years, considering my family, work, and financial situation. For now I planned to prepare myself at least physically, mentally, and theoretically, so I was extensively reading up on it. My plan was to hunt down an old buffalo from South Africa. And although hunting in an enfenced area was not very appealing to me, organizationally and financially it is the easiest, and things got moving much faster than I anticipated.​

2024-03-17-DSCF1854.jpg

My preparation. Gradual, long-term, and consistent.

As I was reading about buffalo tracking, my mobile phone beeped. I decided to finish the page before checking the phone. Only then I picked up the phone and just as I expected, it was another New Year's wish.​
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The message read: 'Happy New Year. I hope you are well. In two months you're going hunting buffalo with us.'

I couldn't help but reply with a simple 'Haha, cool.'

'My travel agency will arrange everything for our trip to Zimbabwe. Old Dagga Boy, wildlife without any fences.'

'Unfortunately, I cannot go due to time, family, and financial constraints.'
I replied.

,I received a last minute offer from a partner in Africa. You would be going with me and a colleague who is a professional cameraman and photographer, no guests. Let me know when you can take some time off work and we'll accommodate your schedule. Your wife will be happy to let you go, I know her.' argued my friend Roman.

' No, no, I can't. It's too fast, I need time for organization and preparation, I don’t even have a suitable rifle yet, perhaps in a couple of years, but thank you for thinking of me.' was my last reply, trying to end this to me seemingly pointless debate.

'I am taking my double-barreled rifle if the European Union does not extend its arms embargo in February. You can hunt with it... Send me a copy of your passport and say hello to your wife for me.' was a sentence that took away all my rational arguments.

'...ehmmmmm.....eeeeeee.....mmmmm.....eeeeeee......*passport copy sent*'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't sleep all night because my mind was racing with questions. All the thoughts kept me up like a child on Christmas Eve. Will I really be able to go? Can I get time off work? What about my family? Tons of similar questions were circling in my mind...

Formalities, insurance, and plane tickets were all taken care of by the travel agency, so I didn't have to worry about anything. This was ideal, since my job is both time-consuming and mentally demanding. Buying the necessary equipment was easier than I thought. After careful consideration, I packed the items I use for hunting in Central Europe during the summer. I hardly needed to purchase anything new. Upon reflection, the sole article of clothing I purchased for this journey was a safari jacket that in the end I never wore.

Where and why?
„There's nothing like hunting buffalo in the wild with a British double“. OK, I'll leave the British double to my dreams. But let's have a look at the area we are talking about.
kztfca_web_overview_a4_20180827_ah.jpg

Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area, Wikipedia

Zimbabwe remains one of the most popular safari destinations for hunting big game. A mix of large private concessions as well as government safari and CAMPFIRE areas (2), Zimbabwe has some of the best free range big game hunting in Africa. Kalahari, Zambezi, Victoria Falls and National Parks are full of animals, and are some of the areas I remembered already from my school days. And the Kalahari, Zambezi, Victoria Falls and national parks would be a part of our journey and our hunt. It couldn't have gotten any better! We would hunt mainly on the border of Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, specifically in the Gwayi area of Matabeleland North Province. By the way, Gwayi is where the famous F.C.Selous hunted elephants (3)! This area boasts a diverse landscape and rich cultural experiences, with the Gwayi River serving as the main water source and a natural boundary between districts. Our hunting camp will be located on the banks of the Gwayi River, which is part of the Zambezi Basin. The Zambezi Basin (4) is a drainage basin in Africa, with the Zambezi River as its main river. It is the fourth largest basin on the continent and the most important one in southern Africa. It covers approximately 1,390,000 square kilometers and crosses areas of both high and low population density, including the Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area (KAZA-TFCA). However, our hunting area also borders Hwange National Park, which is already part of the Kalahari Basin. Hwange National Park, the largest nature reserve in Zimbabwe, covers approximately 14,600 square kilometers. It is located in the northwest of the country, just off the main road between Bulawayo and Victoria Falls. Established in 1928, Hwange National Park is being considered for inclusion in the five-nation Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area. Tragic events have occurred in this park, including the poaching of nine elephants, five lions, and two buffaloes in 2011. In October 2013, it was discovered that poachers had killed a significant number of African elephants by poisoning their waterhole with cyanide (5). Conservationists reported that this incident was the largest illegal killing of animals in southern Africa in 25 years. On or around July 1, 2015, Cecil, a lion who had lived in Hwange National Park for 13 years, was killed (6). This action generated extensive social media coverage and a petition calling for the prohibition of big game hunting permits. Walter Palmer, Cecil's admitted killer, had a permit and was not charged with a crime as all his papers were in order and Cecil was shot outside the national park. As to whether it is ethical to hunt a lion living primarily in a national park, a lion who is well-fed and adjusted to people in his surroundings, and allegedly baiting him with an elephant carcass to draw him out of the protected national park – well, that is a question that one has to answer for himself. (7)

The Kavango-Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area (8) spans the Okavango and Zambezi river basins, where the borders of Angola, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, and Zimbabwe meet. It encompasses 36 proclaimed conservancies, including national parks, game reserves, forest reserves, community conservancies, and game/wildlife management areas, covering a total area of approximately 520,000 square kilometers. It is the second largest nature and landscape conservation area in the world, spanning five countries in southern Africa. The area includes much of the Upper Zambezi and Okavango Basins and Delta, the Caprivi Strip of Namibia, south-eastern Angola, south-western Zambia, the northern wilderness of Botswana, and western Zimbabwe. The region includes several significant national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, such as Chobe National Park, Hwange National Park, and Victoria Falls. It is home to many animals, including the world's largest population of African elephants – about 250,000. Funding for the region comes from various sources, including the German state-owned KfW development bank, the German government, the World Bank, the Netherlands, and Sweden. In 2014, the governments of Zambia and Zimbabwe introduced a joint KAZA visa, which permits holders to move freely across borders within the conservancy.

Zimbabwe, a landlocked country in southern Africa, has breathtaking landscapes and diverse wildlife. It offers a regulated and ethical hunting experience for hunters, while rural areas provide opportunities to connect with nature and the local community. At the heart of this experience is the concept of wildlife conservation, which ensures a sustainable future for both hunting and wildlife. Zimbabwe's Communal Areas Management Program for Indigenous Resources (CAMPFIRE) is a groundbreaking approach to wildlife management. Introduced in the 1980s, CAMPFIRE empowers rural communities to manage wildlife resources in their own respective areas. This includes controlled hunting of certain animals, with the proceeds used for community development projects such as schools, clinics, and wildlife research. This financial incentive promotes a sense of ownership and responsibility for wildlife among local communities in Zimbabwe. Hunting in Zimbabwe is not solely about harvesting trophies, but also about responsible wildlife management, community development, and a deep respect for nature. By participating in a well-regulated hunt within a conservancy, visitors become part of the solution, ensuring the future of Zimbabwe's wildlife for generations to come. Hunting in Zimbabwe is strictly regulated to ensure the preservation of wildlife. Quotas ensure that only a certain number of animals are culled, focusing on older males or those causing conflict with local communities. This selective approach helps maintain a healthy and balanced ecosystem. Hunting revenues also directly contribute to anti-poaching efforts, park maintenance, and wildlife research. This virtuous cycle ensures that future generations will be able to experience the thrill of hunting and the majesty of Zimbabwe's wildlife.​

2024-03-28-2024-03-28-DSCF6184.jpg

Member of the anti-poaching unit was accompanying us almost every day. We were happy to support their dangerous but extremely important mission.

Travel:
European Union has indeed prolonged its arms exports embargo towards Zimbabwe for another year, which – as we found out – extends even to temporarily bringing hunting guns into the country (9). We have tried to argue our case at the Vienna airport, assuring authorities we would be bringing them back, however we were informed that any kind of transporting of guns and ammunition into Zimbabwe would be a violation of international law.

Our trip then continued smoothly without any issues. My family drove me to the airport, since the kids wanted to wave me goodbye. I met my friend there, the travel agency owner Roman, as well as his colleague Peter, the photographer. We departed from Vienna in the evening, had a layover in Ethiopia, and arrived at Victoria Falls for lunch the next day.

Problems arose upon Customs inspection finding our photographic drone, as well as during review of our cash disclosure declaration. Photographic drone was not allowed into the country because it supposedly lacked some special permit (we never found out what was that specific permit that was required, nor whether it could be somehow arranged on the spot) and the cash declaration confirmation by customs took surprisingly long time.

We were able to make the wait more tolerable by watching a local dance group perform classical indigenous dances. Our PH and Outfitter picked us up at the airport, and we embarked on a three-hour drive to the camp. With temperatures exceeding 35°C (95°F), we sampled various local beers during our journey, and at one spot purchased a large supply of it to last us the whole week. At least that was the plan, though in reality our supply didn’t last for more than three days...

Accommodation:
Even though it was not a hunting camp as I had envisioned, or as most of us would imagine it, I was not bothered by this fact. Just the opposite, our lodging could be best described as a 'country hotel' with clean and comfortable cabins, warm water (not hot), an open dining room, a cozy fireplace, and even (although weak) WiFi. It all sounds comfy, but as it turned out, we would usually hunt for about 14 hours a day, so in the ‘camp’ we only slept and ate breakfasts and dinners. If there was a swimming pool, a museum of African hunting trophies, and a strip club on the premises, we wouldn't know it, or have time for it. Food was good, filling, plentiful and prepared almost entirely from the animals we hunted down. Every evening we sat around the fire, or had a dinner with our PH and Outfitter, and talked to them not only about hunting, but also about life in their country, politics and economy. As they were doing this job as small business proprietors for over 20 years, it was interesting to hear their take on hunting as a business, issues with corruption, or local taxes.

2024-04-02-DSCF7490.jpg
Our accommodation during the hunt. Everyone had their own room, which provided nice privacy and relaxation after a long day in the bush.

2024-03-26-DSCF5795.jpg
Fireplace, where we met every evening and enjoyed time together with cigars and whiskey.
Hunting:
Each day would start with a wake-up call, followed by breakfast at 5:00 AM, and then we would head out in the safari car at 5:30 AM. Our goal was to look for fresh buffalo tracks or other signs of presence, such as droppings, while driving through the bush. However, the one trip we took before all others was to the shooting range - to try out the guns. We had at our disposal a relatively new Ruger in .416 Rigby, and an over thirty-year old CZ550 in the .375 H&H caliber. I already knew what to expect in regards to its recoil, since at home I practiced shooting from .375 H&H, usually using a stick as a support. So after I tried both guns at the shooting range, we agreed that we would hunt the buffalo with the .416 Rigby, any other game with the .375 H&H, and we would swap guns back and forth between us depending on what was in sight and who would be shooting. I would subjectively compare the recoil of a .416 Rigby when fired from a stick to about the recoil of a .375 H&H shot in a sitting position.

Since the shooting range was within the hunting area, after confirming the guns were shooting true we went on to hunt right away. We spent many hours driving through hunting areas in search of tracks to follow. Usually every half an hour to an hour's drive - depending on the terrain - we would came across watering holes, both natural and man-made. Man-made ones, although relatively small, were in good condition and regularly maintained. It was evident that many animals were using them. Rainy season that had just ended was very poor, and the ground was dry. This led to the death of many animals, including 160 elephants in Hwange National park due to the extreme drought and lack of water in the area (10).

2024-03-27-2024-03-27-DSCF5893.jpg
Driving around the area in 35°C all day was...fun!

2024-03-27-DSCF5942.jpg

One of the waterholes. Not much water even at the end of the rainy season.

Whenever we found fresh tracks, we began tracking. If we came across tracks that were several hours old, we found it best to return later in the evening, or early the next morning, to look for fresh activity and only then start tracking. This way we found fresh tracks almost every morning, and were already tracking buffalo since early morning.

2024-03-27-2024-03-27-DSCF5865.jpg
Hunting in dense vegetation.

On the very second hunting day we managed to track down a small herd of about 10-15 animals, including a handsome Dagga Boy. We observed them for about an hour, but due to dense vegetation and the vigilance of the group it was not possible to shoot safely. However, it was extremely encouraging and motivating, and we knew that with a little luck our chance would eventually come. Other times we had to stop tracking when the tracks were nearing a local village or a homestead, or whenever the tracks got mixed up with other tracks and couldn't be followed any further. This is one of the challenges of hunting in wild, as opposed to hunting in an enfenced area. According to pedometer, we walked for several hours and for a total of about 7-10km every day in dense vegetation. Fortunately our Outfitter and PH had a contract with several hunting areas in the vicinity, so even if we happened to reach the border of one area while tracking, it was not a problem to continue tracking, even though it was really physically demanding to hunt such distances on foot in bush. In addition to buffalo, we also saw kudu, sable, roan, cheetah, elephant, zebra, wildebeest, warthog, impala, baboon, bushbuck and we even came accross fresh lion tracks in one abandoned hunting camp. Maybe that's why it was abandoned...

Discussions about trophy hunting can be challenging, and sometimes heated on both sides. Some people are on principle against any kind of hunting, and on the opposite end some people are in favor of even captive breed hunting. If we discard these two extreme views, I believe it is possible for both sides to find a compromise and mutual understanding in order to achieve a long-term sustainable state. I also think that WWF has a very interesting view of trophy hunting, considering that it is the world's largest animal protection organization:

Trophy hunting, where based on a clear scientific understanding of species population dynamics and where properly managed, has been proven to be an effective conservation tool in some countries and for certain species, including threatened species. Trophy hunting can generate substantial economic benefits, community and political support, and have direct benefits for threatened species and biodiversity (11).

In my understanding this mechanism can work relatively simply - leave the local population to determine the value of wild animals living in the region. Value of an elephant, for example, is different for a biologist, different for a conservationist, different for a Western politician, different for an ivory poacher, and different for a local farmer whose livelihood is threatened either directly physically, or indirectly if his fields and crops - on which he and his family depend – are being eaten or destroyed by such elephant. If the local people see the importance of protecting and caring for wild animals, they will do it. Whether it is by cleaning water wells, preventing poaching, or protecting their habitat at the expense of expanding agriculture. In the event of clashes between local population and wild animals, hunting presents a legal opportunity to address this issue, as opposed to illegal poaching. Local community will then not only receive part of the funds acquired from legal hunting, but also the meat. Trophy hunting is then also strictly regulated and focuses on old individualistic animals that no longer reproduce. Unlike poaching and snaring.

During our hunting trip we did meet several times with the members of the anti-poaching unit. While talking to them we really had the feeling that this is how it works there, and it suits all parties involved. At least as much as possible given the circumstances and local specifics. Ideal conditions and arrangement that would fully satisfy everyone is hard to find anywhere, but these people looked satisfied and happy that we were there.

2024-03-27-2024-03-27-DSCF5998.jpg
March marks the end of the rainy season, but this year was quite dry.

Hunting my buffalo:
We tracked buffaloes every day. They typically feed and travel either early in the morning, or later in the evening and at night. On the third day we found fresh tracks around 3 PM at one of the waterholes. The tracker and our PH - Shingi - identified a solitary old Dagga Boy. We realized that previous day we crossed tracks that also seemed to belong to him, only a few kilometers away. After retrieving our firearms and hydrating, we began tracking him. Tracks led through dense undergrowth with bushes sometimes up to 1.5 to 2 meters high. We advanced cautiously, as we were unsure of the freshness of the tracks. This buffalo could be hiding in the bushes right next to us.

2024-03-29-DSCF6390.jpg
Last meters of tracking the buffalo...

After approximately 100 meters the nature of the tracks changed - the buffalo seemed to be running quickly. When I questioningly looked at Shingi, he replied that the buffalo had likely heard our car approaching. The sound probably frightened him and caused him to run away. If this theory was correct, he was here about 10-15 minutes ago. Running stopped after less than 100 meters, and the tracks again started to indicate a slow and leisurely walk. Shortly afterwards we found a large and fresh excrement. I am not an expert in feces, but this one appeared to be very fresh. Shingi inserted his finger into it, pulled it out, and exclaimed with a smile and a sparkle in his eyes, 'It's hot! Really hot! Totally fresh!'. He winked at me and gave me thumbs up. I could only think – „Damn! Things are really getting serious now!“. What I have been dreaming about for many years is perhaps hiding behind one of the bushes nearby. But I also couldn’t stop wondering about how many people die from the 'black death' (buffalo-kills) each year? I began to sweat and breathe heavily. My smartwatch was showing a pulse rate of 145 beats per minute. I signaled to Shingi to wait. After wiping my sweaty hands on my shirt I took three or four really deep breaths. It was clear that Shingi was aware of how I feel, and he knew what was happening, since he winked and smiled at me. I indicated that we could continue, and I felt better seeing my heart rate on the watch slowing down to 115. I was fully concentrated from that moment on, and I actually stopped noticing sensations around me that were not relevant to the hunt. I was unsure of the cameraman's whereabouts and activities, and I even lost track of the duration and distance of our tracking (upon checking my watch later in the evening I discovered 300 meters I didn’t remember covering). I was acutely aware of every bush and every sound, as well as the presence of Shingi and the tracker, but my attention was fully fixed on the buffalo, which had to be somewhere in close vicinity.

And suddenly there he was. All alone, a scarred old warrior who had already been driven out of the herd by younger bulls. A fighter, who has experienced a lot and, obviously, since he was still running around, so far has survived everything the life threw at him. All of a sudden he was standing right there in front of me. A huge black mass. Black as coal. His huge bosses, worn smooth, glistened in the afternoon sun. He was grazing about 30 meters away from us. We observed him through the binoculars for a few minutes. An old lone warrior, exactly as I imagined and wished for. His small spread was completely irrelevant to me. Meanwhile, Shingi set up the shooting stick and told me quietly - 'That's your guy, shoot him'. Through the scope I could see the buffalo looking at me. He wasn‘t ‚accusing me of owing him money‘, as Robert Ruark would describe it (12). He seemed to be asking: 'What do you want here? Why are you bothering me?'. He was standing in bushes that were almost 1.5 meters tall, thus only his head and back were visible. Images from the book The Perfect Shot II, which I recently read multiple times, replayed in my mind. With a short partial exhalation, crosshairs of my riflescope settled precisely on his thoracic spine. I fired. He fell. I reloaded and waited, but he did not attempt to stand up anymore. However, spine shot is not immediately lethal, and none of us wanted to look for a wounded buffalo in thick bushes, so Shingi told me to shoot again and again. Roar of the dying buffalo echoed through the bush for several seconds. A fifth, close range shot between the shoulder blades, ended his last fight. Everything fell silent for a moment. Wind, birds, even leaves seemed to stop rustling. As if they were saying goodbye to him and paying him last respect. Or perhaps it was just me who was deaf, pumped full of emotion, experiencing this moment in a way that only hunters know. Respect and reverence for the animal. I was overwhelmed with emotions and tears welled up in my eyes. They were the tears of happiness, relief from stress, and the intensity of the experience. You may know the feeling.

2024-03-29-DSCF6547.jpg
After many years of preparation, it finally happened!

First congratulations sounded out, but Shingi told me to devote the moment to my buffalo. Everyone moved away for a few minutes, leaving us alone. I looked into his eyes, at his scarred face and ears, and touched his ragged horns and polished bosses. Even in his death he still radiated strength and respect. Like an old warrior on his last journey. He fought until the last moment - evidenced by the blood dripping from my forehead after being wounded by the riflescope due to recoil. One of the shots I took was less than ideal on my part and left me with a memory lasting for two more weeks. Rest of the team then arrived by car, offering me congratulations, taking photos, and eventually dividing the buffalo for transport.​

2024-03-29-2024-03-29-DSCF6521.jpg

Joy, emotions, experience. That's what hunting is all about.

Team worked expertly and efficiently, as I sat with my friends on the back of the car, enjoying a cold coke. We arrived back at camp only after dark, tired but happy. Warm campfire and chilled whisky were waiting for us. We sat together with Shingi and the outfitter long into the night, and talked about our experience. It was a unique feeling, one that makes it all worth it. When the whisky and ice ran out, we called it a night. Next day, it was Roman ready to hunt a buffalo.

Irony of photo tourists
Two days later we encountered a large herd. Shingi had already told us about it— it was a really large herd of about 700 buffaloes. They have been moving in the region for a long time, and it was only a matter of time before they'd come into our hunting area. It was a beautiful sight—a huge group stretching all across the valley, like in a National Geographic photo or a movie. We saw lots of cows with young calves, young bulls, and occassionally an old bull. We approached slowly and then stood between the trees so we could watch them walk in close proximity about 50-100 meters from us. In these conditions we could visually distinguish a nice old bull within the herd, and we actually did see several of them.

2024-03-31-2024-03-31-DSCF5549.jpg
Big herd of buffaloes.
However, Shingi's answer was clear: No, because we are next to a lodge full of photo tourists, and we are not allowed to hunt in it’s close proximity. He pointed to a building with a terrace not too far from us on the other side of the valley. Through the binoculars we could see lots of tourists taking pictures of the herd passing in front of them. We were all excited about the hunting opportunities this herd presented, but none of us wanted to be on the cover page of some anti-hunting magazine, so we had to come up with another plan. We noticed that a small group of about 70 animals had separated from the main herd.

2024-03-31-DSCF2141.jpg
Small group broke away from the large herd. What do we do now?
We sent our photographer out to take some close-up shots of this smaller group. He scored some nice photos, and as a side benefit this smaller group then moved away from the photo tourists into a nearby dense forest, which was actually our intention and the outcome we were hoping our photographer would achieve. Hunt could begin. Tracking a herd of 70 buffalos is really not that difficult— even I could do it. Problem was getting close to them. And that was just the beginning, we then had to choose a suitable target, evaluate it, and wait until it stands up and turns correctly. We didn't want to risk hitting the wrong member of the herd.

After many hours of chasing and repeatedly approaching the herd in the dense forest, an old Dagga Boy suddenly appeared in Roman’s sight in a tunnel between the trees. Shingi unfolded the shooting stick and in a few seconds we heard a loud shot.

2024-03-31-DSCF2117.jpg

Seconds before the shot. Buffalo appeared in a tunnel of bushes.
After the shot rang out, the herd ran into the forest making a lot of noise. We heard the sound of breaking trees and bushes, the earth was rumbling, and the animals were mooing loudly. Since we were in a dense forest, we waited a few minutes and then moved to where we have seen the Dagga Boy standing last. Nothing there. Well, at first we didn’t see any signs of him, but after a while we noticed a few drops of blood on the ground. We began to follow them very carefully. A drop here and there. We continued like this for about half an hour, seemingly without catching up to him. Frontal quartering shots are common, but not easy. Anatomy of the vital organs and the bones in the chest and the joints of the front legs make it difficult to hit accurately, but Roman is a great hunter and sports shooter. He can shoot better freehand than most hunters I know can shoot from a shooting stick. Mountain Goat and a Black bear from British Columbia, an Ibex from Kyrgyzstan, a Muskox from Greenland, or an Eland recorded in Rowland Ward, are just some of his trophies that I admire every time I visit his hunting room. So when he said he was sure of the shot, we had no doubts. The .416 Rigby was chosen by Roman to finish the task. Sun was setting, and we spent another 15 minutes looking for the wounded buffalo, but by then it was getting dark and possibly dangerous, so we decided to postpone tracking until the morning. When we got to the camp, we ate and went to sleep, quite tired. In the morning we arrived at the place by car already before sunrise, waiting for the sunlight to allow us to continue where we left off. After less than half an hour we finally spotted him again! He was in a meadow in the valley, between the watering hole and the lodge for photo tourists. He was laying with his head up, and looking at the lodge about 50 meters away. It was a sight resembling a bad comedy movie. What do we do now? It was 6 AM, everyone in the lodge was sleeping, but we couldn't just go there and start shooting. We didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Shingi called on his phone the owner of the lodge, fortunately he was also a hunter and would understood our situation. He did have an understanding, but could provide us no solution. Eventually the sun itself solved the dilemma for us. While we were waiting for the owner of the lodge to arrive from the town, sun began to shine on our buffalo, and it got up and very slowly walked into the forest not far from the lodge. After another short phone call, we got the green light. It is my understanding that the local law says that a wounded buffalo should be killed as soon as possible, regardless of location and conditions. Our 15-minute waiting had an ethical reason, we were taking into considerion the photo tourists and how would they feel about a buffalo being killed almost at their doorstep. However, to me personally it didn’t even feel like delaying its inevitable end, he was too far away to shoot anyway, so we would have to come closer, which would again scare him off and the tracking would probably have to continue for much longer. Now he entered the forest, and we expected him to stay in the shadows at the edge of the forest, so we were quite sure about his whereabouts. We circled the lodge and followed his tracks. After a few meters we could see him standing among the thick bushes. Another clear frontal shot, again the noise of breaking bushes and branches, and again he was gone. But this time, not very far. We carefully followed him, Roman as the hunter, Shingi, and me. With the .375 HaH in my hands I felt important and helpful. Then there was the sound of breaking branches again—and all of a sudden he was charging us head-on from about 20 meters away! Fortunately, his charge had a very short duration — it was ended by two accurate frontal shots from Roman and Shingi within a few seconds. It was a very intense moment for me, one of those moments when different scenarios are projected before your eyes, and you wonder about the various outcomes the situation could have had. It also comes with realization that some things - like hunting dangerous game in the wild - you only want to do with real professionals. Roman’s dying buffalo, just like mine, finally received one last shot directly between the shoulder blades. Afterwards there was only silence. Total silence. From a distance I looked at Roman, at his facial expression, and I wondered if he was experiencing the same feelings as I did three days ago. I couldn’t tell from just looking at thim, but I think he did. At least I hope so. He was quiet, kneeling in sand beside his buffalo, running his hand over its hard bosses and shiny, worn horns. Stress, adrenaline and emotions were all being slowly released.

2024-04-01-DSCF2195.jpg
Behind the scenes view.
Our photo shoot followed, but we were quickly sent away from the vicinity of the lodge and photo tourists. Only the local team remained to process the buffalo and take it away. As we walked along the back fence of the lodge we told Shingi: "If we would have shot one of the buffalos among the herd yesterday in the meadow, ironically it would have happened much farther away from the photo tourists and this lodge, than now, when we didn’t have much choice and had to do it in much closer proximity to the lodge.”

2024-04-01-DSCF7149.jpg
Behind the scenes view. Endgame. Two big guys.
Discover. Hunt. Trade recipes.
After shooting the buffalo I was told that it is a long-standing local tradition for the hunter to eat the testicles of his prey. I'm not sure if this is indeed true, perhaps they were just messing with me. But in Central Europe the beef testicles are often eaten as a delicacy, so we didn't have any principal problem with it, we were even curious and looking forward to it. Every evening the chef would prepare a light snack by the fire before dinner, and that’s also how we did get to experience this ‚tradition‘. In all honesty though, they were a bit hard to chew and poorly seasoned. So after we downed the second buffalo, we negotiated with the chef that Peter would come to the kitchen to do the honors, because in addition to him taking photos and making films, he's also a great cook, especially with wild game. Thanks to Peter‘s cooking the meat was softer with onions and eggs, and even the locals liked it more cooked „our“ way.​

2024-04-01-DSCF2332.jpg

Peter, the chef, and buffalo testicles being done ‚our way‘.

Final thoughts regarding the trip:
After a day of hunting, the campfire comes alive. These designated areas within wildlife conservancies or hunting concessions serve as more than just a place to cook dinner. They provide an opportunity to share stories, exchange experiences, and bond with the professional hunting guides who have a deep understanding of the land and its creatures, while enjoying good cigars and aged whisky. To me, this is what hunting is all about - spending time with friends and locals in a pleasant atmosphere, acquiring experience and collecting memories...

2024-03-30-DSCF6777.jpg

2024-03-29-DSCF6514.jpg

2024-03-28-DSCF6172.jpg

Throughout the remainder of the trip, in addition to our original goal of hunting two buffaloes, Roman also successfully shot a nice impala ram, while I managed to shoot a blue wildebeest and a zebra. Our photographer, Peter, also scored an impala ram - and not only with his camera! Throughout the week of hunting we were accompanied by a team of very friendly and helpful people, including the PH, our driver, our tracker, and other staff members. For the final day we decided to skip hunting and make a trip to Victoria Falls instead. Within minutes our outfitter arranged comfortable accommodation, a traditional boma dinner, and a sunset boat trip on the Zambezi River. It would be a peaceful and ‚romantic‘ experience for the three of us, especially after spending a week in the bush. The following day our outfitter personally drove us to Victoria Falls, picked up our tickets, and pre-arranged transportation to the airport for the next day. During the boma dinner we were recommended to try the mopane worm. Although it may look unappetizing (really gross and fat), it doesn’t taste as bad as it looks.

In the end, I would like to thank Roman and his Slovak hunting travel agency HEMING for a wonderful and successful trip - www.heminghunting.com

My thanks extend also to Peter, working for HEMING travel agency as a guide and professional photographer and filmmaker, for the beautiful photos he took - www.instagram.com/huntingstories.sk

I would also like to thank the members of this forum for advice and consultations regarding hunting dangerous game and traveling to Africa in general – mainly @pimes @Tokoloshe Safaris @Mtn_Infantry

Disclaimer: I have no business interest in this travel agency and I was not paid for this article. All photos are used with the permission of the author (Peter or me). This article describes my subjective feelings and personal experience of the hunting trip, and it is not intended to be a presentation of views or opinions of any other persons or entities (including PH, the Outfitter, or the Travel agency).

Bit of a sales pitch: As a very satisfied client I can definitely recommend the HEMING travel agency. They are also preparing hunts in Central Europe for foreign clients, so if you are interested, feel free to contact them.

Lest I forget - I managed to also „hunt down“ a big wild boar during lunchtime. We found him sleeping in the bush. I'm not sure if it was a Bushpig or a Warthog or...

2024-03-29-DSCF6320.jpg
...a large trophy European keiler (wild boar) found and „hunted down“ in Africa. Member of the anti-poaching team in the background is laughing, so I guess it's allowed. Sorry Roman... :ROFLMAO:

Finally, some photos from the last day of the trip:

2024-04-02-DSCF5639.jpg

2024-04-02-DSCF7580.jpg

2024-04-02-DSCF7931.jpg

2024-04-02-DSCF7722.jpg

2024-04-03-DSCF8093.jpg

Sources of used literature:
1, Baldus, Rolf D. Wild Heart of Africa: The Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania. Rowland Ward, 2009.
2, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communal_Areas_Management_Programme_for_Indigenous_Resources
3, https://zimfieldguide.com/midlands/...ps-1876-–-1885-records-his-original-game-book
4, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambezi_Basin
5, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-23991510
6, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Cecil_the_lion
7, https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/cecil-lion-baited-killed-book-alleges/story?id=53528189
8, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavango–Zambezi_Transfrontier_Conservation_Area
9, https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...news-restrictive-measures-for-a-further-year/
10, https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ts-die-in-zimbabwe-with-many-more-at-risk-aoe
11, https://wwfint.awsassets.panda.org/...siderations_re_trophy_hunting__july_2016_.pdf
12, Ruark, Robert C. Horn of the Hunter,1953.

Attachments

• DSCF2085.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 2024-03-31-DSCF2141.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 2024-03-31-DSCF2117.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 2024-04-01-DSCF2195.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 2024-04-01-DSCF2332.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
WONDERFUL STORY, MY FRIEND. GLAD YOU HAD SUCH A GREAT TIME.

Congratulations on your successful safari. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. We'll done.

Great write up, thanks for sharing. I'm off to Zim next month on a buffalo hunt, can't wait

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for a fantastic report :D Cheers:

Fantastic hunt and a well-told story!

First rate!

Great report and fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations!

Great write up. Congrats.

Very good writeup. You smile says everything about the adventure you had. Congratulations. Buffalo hunting gets in your blood and you are most likely planning how do I get back for another one.

Congratulations. I think that would be tough to beat for a first African hunting experience. A lot of thought went into your report and it’s well written.

Excellent. Now publish this.

Wow, what an amazing safari. Thank you for taking us along.

Thank you very much, I am glad that you like the report. It was really great for the first time...now I'm afraid to go again :D During the preparations, I looked forward to each report, from which I learned new things and gained useful information. So I wanted to give back to this great AH community. And to motivate other members to write their experiences as well ;)

And must say that Shingi, for me, is an among the best PHs in Zimbabwe.
He was really great! I would go with him again. Buffalo fever part two, or a tuskless elephant in a couple of years. Additionally some Plains Game. But that's just an aside, it wouldn't be my main goal, like now.

Congratulations on such a wonderful trip and some great trophies. You did a fantastic job of portraying it for us. Thank you for sharing. Sure glad you finally caved to Roman’s insistence to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ta88vipofficial

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….