Zambia Hunting Concession Closure Update?

txsouthpaw

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Zambia, Alaska, British Columbia, Argentina
It’s my understanding that 19 hunting concessions in Zambia have been closed for quite some time due to governmental permitting issues. My assumption is that the closure is not affecting private farms and game reserves. I’m wanting to put together a DG hunt for 2024, so any information relative to this closure and anticipated re-opening of the hunting in these concessions would be appreciated.

Busanga Lunga is open on north side of Kafue NP. Kansonso, on west side of Kafue NP, is supposedly close to being signed. I hunted there last year and it was great. It’s not been hunted this year but there’s some poaching going on I’m sure.

Several areas were assigned by the last presidential administration. The new president and his ministers were trying to invalidate some of those assignments and did a new tender. Then, it all went to court and the new administration lost in court but threatened to appeal. Then they decided to allow the previous assignments but have been slow to sign the required paperwork. It’s a mess.

There are several areas with older contracts that are not involved in the disputed tender process for the other areas.

It’s my understanding that 19 hunting concessions in Zambia have been closed for quite some time due to governmental permitting issues. My assumption is that the closure is not affecting private farms and game reserves. I’m wanting to put together a DG hunt for 2024, so any information relative to this closure and anticipated re-opening of the hunting in these concessions would be appreciated.
You’re spot on, many of the areas are involved in the investigations and remain closed for now.

There are still a number of operators and gma’s that are open and operating well.

No private areas were involved in the closure.

I ran into a situation just this year where a PH sold me a lion and leopard hunt for July in the Luangwa Valley. 30 days before I was to leave I received a Whats App message that there was an issue and my hunt would need to be postponed. Then the PH thinks it would be a good idea to send me pictures of another hunt he did over the dates I was booked to hunt.

Any updates? We ran into the same thing last year, but were able to move the hunt to private land in the Luangwa. Still had a fantastic hunt, but I’ve heard of some epic hunting in areas that have been closed.

Any updates? We ran into the same thing last year, but were able to move the hunt to private land in the Luangwa. Still had a fantastic hunt, but I’ve heard of some epic hunting in areas that have been closed.
Some of the areas that were contested in court have been awarded.
Some are still unallocated.

This is info from another forum that was posted by Thor. I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing it.

GMAs in Zambia that are open to hunting and will have quota in 2024

• Bilibili Mulobezi
• Chisomo
• Kasempa Lunga Lushwishi
• Lunga Busanga
• Kasonso Busanga
• Lower Luano
• Lower Lupande
• Lundu
• Luembe West Petauke
• Chikwa
• Mukungule
• Mwanya
• Mufunta
• Nyaminga
• Rufunsa
• Sandwe
• Sichifulo
• Tondwa
• TEMBWE Kambombo

There may be more that I’m not aware of and this is not an official list. This is just what I know and can stand for. Again contact me if you have questions to a specific area.

Open Game Ranches that are operating

• Munyamadzi Game Ranch
• Kazumba Game Ranch
• Nyamvu Game Ranch
• Nkalamu Game Ranch
• Nyakolwe Game Ranch
• Mbizi Game Ranch
• Ilinda Game Ranch
• Mushingashi Game Ranch, but they only hunt privately

I hope this helps

Some of the areas that were contested in court have been awarded.
Some are still unallocated.

This is info from another forum that was posted by Thor. I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing it.

GMAs in Zambia that are open to hunting and will have quota in 2024

• Bilibili Mulobezi
• Chisomo
• Kasempa Lunga Lushwishi
• Lunga Busanga
• Kasonso Busanga
• Lower Luano
• Lower Lupande
• Lundu
• Luembe West Petauke
• Chikwa
• Mukungule
• Mwanya
• Mufunta
• Nyaminga
• Rufunsa
• Sandwe
• Sichifulo
• Tondwa
• TEMBWE Kambombo

There may be more that I’m not aware of and this is not an official list. This is just what I know and can stand for. Again contact me if you have questions to a specific area.

Open Game Ranches that are operating

• Munyamadzi Game Ranch
• Kazumba Game Ranch
• Nyamvu Game Ranch
• Nkalamu Game Ranch
• Nyakolwe Game Ranch
• Mbizi Game Ranch
• Ilinda Game Ranch
• Mushingashi Game Ranch, but they only hunt privately

I hope this helps

Who has Lundu and Chikwa these days Pete? This was Mike Heath’s old stomping grounds.

Who has Lundu and Chikwa these days Pete? This was Mike Heath’s old stomping grounds.
I believe freestone safaris has Lundu and I think Mopani safaris has chikwa.

Reactions: WAB
I ran into a situation just this year where a PH sold me a lion and leopard hunt for July in the Luangwa Valley. 30 days before I was to leave I received a Whats App message that there was an issue and my hunt would need to be postponed. Then the PH thinks it would be a good idea to send me pictures of another hunt he did over the dates I was booked to hunt.
What a shame, or sham?

@PeteG is correct about Kasonso Busanga and Lunga Busanga. Lunga never closed and Kasonso closed for one season. Both are great but Kasonso is a bit more remote without villages. Might have been some poaching last year when hunting was closed but I can't hardly believe it would have ruined the wildlife numbers that I saw in 2022. I saw tons of game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NJGGlory4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.