Winchester 70 CRF 30-378 Weatherby Mag

LES7

AH veteran
Reaction score
Guns I don’t want to sell listing #4. My shoulders are shot, and I won’t shoot this.
I traded for this last year to set up for long range. Had the stock cerakoted, added USO FFP scope, and an atlas bipod (those are nice)
HEAVY ss barrel, New Haven serial # I have not shot this rifle yet. Will come with 100 rounds of ammo shipped separately.
I will list on other sites soon, just want to give you guys first dibs.
$5000.00 OBO

IMG_0424.jpeg
IMG_0425.jpeg
IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0427.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0431.jpeg
IMG_0432.jpeg
IMG_0433.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening, can you please add some photos showing how the action was modified to fit the 378 length case? Specifically was the bottom of the action and magazine box lengthened beyond 3.6 inches?

Good evening, can you please add some photos showing how the action was modified to fit the 378 length case? Specifically was the bottom of the action and magazine box lengthened beyond 3.6 inches?
It’s hard to see but magazine was extended (round front piece). There is plenty of length, the CRF picks up smooth and throws out on eject. However there isn’t enough width to get 3 cartridges in magazine, it isn’t modified that way. I was surprised on how it fed when I got it. Was disappointed in only getting 2 in the gut, but figured it would only be a single shot bench long range rifle. It is a heavy gun. The guy I traded for said it was built by a company out of Colorado, I looked them up at the time just can’t remember now. Just barley got stock and scope on before my shoulders went to hell, so I have not shot this one.

IMG_0435.jpeg
IMG_0436.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0438.jpeg
IMG_0439.jpeg
IMG_0440.jpeg
IMG_0441.jpeg
IMG_0442.jpeg

Although the Win isn't the heaviest, with the brake (and lighter 308 bullets) it shouldn't be that bad, relatively! 'Have what was the wildcat and then SAAMI-approved predecessor of it (.338 A-Sq) and it's really a pleasure to shoot (in a gun w/ more heft but no brake.) For $4,500 asking, what does it weigh? total pkg. Oh, and while asking, who makes USO scopes? Is Mae West or Rachel Welch featured in the reticle??

Last edited:
TY profusely for being so honest, and w/ the great pics! Could you simply show one more w/ a cartridge placed against the outside edge of the bolt (show us what clearance it has as compared to the receiver cut-out. TY again! You get full marks for it being the antithesis of the CM. Many ok gunsmiths simply never adjust the magazine properly, and that's likely the (simple) issue...In comparison, I shot a friend's 300 RUM and it fed well, but shot terribly. He sold it: $1,500.

Feed ramp relieved??

TY profusely for being so honest, and w/ the great pics! Could you simply show one more w/ a cartridge placed against the outside edge of the bolt (show us what clearance it has as compared to the receiver cut-out. TY again! You get full marks for it being the antithesis of the CM. Many ok gunsmiths simply never adjust the magazine properly, and that's likely the (simple) issue...In comparison, I shot a friend's 300 RUM and it fed well, but shot terribly. He sold it: $1,500.
For this one and your previous post
13lbs according to my fishing scale
$4500 OBO because I guessed
see pics for US Optics website
a smith or someone more knowledgeable than me should definitely look at it.
hope pics are what you need to see

IMG_0446.jpeg
IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg

Guns I don’t want to sell listing #4. My shoulders are shot, and I won’t shoot this.
I traded for this last year to set up for long range. Had the stock cerakoted, added USO FFP scope, and an atlas bipod (those are nice)
HEAVY ss barrel, New Haven serial # I have not shot this rifle yet. Will come with 100 rounds of ammo shipped separately.
I will list on other sites soon, just want to give you guys first dibs.
$5000.00 OBO

View attachment 554808View attachment 554809View attachment 554810View attachment 554811View attachment 554812View attachment 554813View attachment 554814View attachment 554815View attachment 554816View attachment 554817
@LES7
A mate at the local range has a 300-378. It's an awesome beast of a thing. It's on a Weatherby markv action. We can't use muzzle brakes at our local range so it's a bit of a handful off the bench. He reloads 212gn Hornady ELDX as factory ammo in Australia is 250 dollars a hox when you can get it.
It's an awesome long range rifle.
Bob

Now that the rifle is sold, I wonder how they got the massive 416 Rigby sized case to work with a M70 action.
@Wyatt Smith
Easy mate. Being a farm boy you should know that you can make anything work with an angle grinder, duct tape and fencing wire or a combination of the 3.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

Now that the rifle is sold, I wonder how they got the massive 416 Rigby sized case to work with a M70 action.
I never did shoot it, but it feeds and ejects like it’s supposed to. I hope for the buyers sake it’s a shooter, it sure is set up to reach out there. I also wish I could have tried the weatherby 195 hammer ammo I picked up for it. Honestly if it would have been lefty I probably would have kept it

@LES7
A mate at the local range has a 300-378. It's an awesome beast of a thing. It's on a Weatherby markv action. We can't use muzzle brakes at our local range so it's a bit of a handful off the bench. He reloads 212gn Hornady ELDX as factory ammo in Australia is 250 dollars a hox when you can get it.
It's an awesome long range rifle.
Bob
King of the 30 cal. and steep price for that ammo! I wish I could have shot it, I did have a lefty Dakota action built and re barreled to 264 win mag. That will be my long range one for now

The Classic and newer M70 actions are roughly 1/4" longer than the original pre-64 actions. So the same mods that got the pre-64 from 3.4 to 3.6 inch COAL should take a classic from 3.6 coal to 3.8 COAL. They make extended magazine boxes for newer M70s that are 3.8 inches and mention machining work being required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrwinCook

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….