Why You Should Travel To Zimbabwe

What are you hunting over and over again in Zim? Buffalo? Anything else?

These days, I'm more of a chauffeur bringing my kids to Zim for their hunts. I still hunt DG and still have a few species I'd like to hunt but haven't connected on yet: tsessebe, warthog (yes, really), reedbuck, grysbok, bushpig, etc. I'm always ready for a good deal on jumbos.

Next trip over will probably be as an observer for Buffalo.

These days, I'm more of a chauffeur bringing my kids to Zim for their hunts. I still hunt DG and still have a few species I'd like to hunt but haven't connected on yet: tsessebe, warthog (yes, really), reedbuck, grysbok, bushpig, etc. I'm always ready for a good deal on jumbos.

Next trip over will probably be as an observer for Buffalo.
C9 has giant warthogs and big reedbuck. I’m not sure about grysbok since the smaller antelopes are not really my thing. I did take a very big suni there as the PH said it was the biggest they had ever seen.

Botswana had and certainly have nice PG ranches, particularly in the Tuli Block area. Their prices are similar to Zim with similar biodiversity. As you know, until recently there was a DG moratorium. Upon its end, the prices for DG in Bots were astronomical as there was pent up affluent demand. That demand is being met and prices are falling, but in so doing it is moving demand from other countries (Zim) making Zim an even better deal. My first Zim ten day PG hunt was $14,000 all-in. What I learned is that a DG hunt in the valley all-in at the same time (buff/hippo) with PG was $20,000 all-in. (these are
Moz is a very tricky place as you know. From the poachers penchant for putting bear traps on game trails in the flooded areas, to the terrorist killings around the Total Petro refineries and villages two years ago, to the game damage from poaching in the Nyassa, its high adventure with perils not considered in Zim/Bots/Nam/Zam/Tanz. One of my PHs spent several years in Moz as a PH and he does not advise going there at present time. Last time we discussed it around the campfire we were streaming video of the day of mercenary friends of his going in to kill terrorists. (about two years ago) I'm not a Moz expert, but given the species available there and the concerns expert friends of mine have told and shown me, I don't think juice is worth the squeeze presently.

So back to my endorsement of Zim.

Agreed on Botswana. I actually shot the last Buffalo legally harvested before the closure. However, their DG pricing is very high. The ranches are huge and tend to be great value.

You and I have different perspectives on Zambia and Mozambique. My first Safari was on the northernmost concession on the Upper Luangwa. It is an incredible area and was excellent value. The plains game has to be seen to be believed.

My first safari comes up in the Zimbabwe Save Valley in 73 days. 10 days hunting Buffalo and PG. Spending two days after the hunt as well in Vic falls with the wife. The anticipation, practice, hiking and all of the planning has been an awesome part of the buildup to the adventure. I have no real expectations in regard to success rate. It goes without saying that Buffalo is #1, then Zebra, Impala, Bushpig or Warthog, and possibly the Baboon are the targets! Oh, it's also going to be Hot!

My first safari comes up in the Zimbabwe Save Valley in 73 days. 10 days hunting Buffalo and PG. Spending two days after the hunt as well in Vic falls with the wife. The anticipation, practice, hiking and all of the planning has been an awesome part of the buildup to the adventure. I have no real expectations in regard to success rate. It goes without saying that Buffalo is #1, then Zebra, Impala, Bushpig or Warthog, and possibly the Baboon are the targets! Oh, it's also going to be Hot!

Awesome, we loved the Save! If you are flying in to Bulawayo, it is worth spending some time. We were there when the jacarandas were blooming. It was absolutely spectacular.

You'll have a great time. You should see many nice waterbuck, kudu, and buffalo. You'll probably see some elephant and of course hippos as well for game drives. You've purchased an experience more than a hunt, you should have a tremendous time.

Awesome, we loved the Save! If you are flying in to Bulawayo, it is worth spending some time. We were there when the jacarandas were blooming. It was absolutely spectacular.
The Railway Museum is a bit run down, but worth a visit. And of course the Courteney boot factory.

The Railway Museum is a bit run down, but worth a visit. And of course the Courteney boot factory.

What about the safari bar at Banff to meet the local friends?

So many great things to do in Bulawayo!

I’ve been fortunate to hunt in Namibia on 4 previous occasions but I have decided to try a couple of other countries for my next two trips. I’ll be in RSA in about 6 weeks to hunt with Bayly&Sipple safari company and then I’ll be in Zim in 2024 for a buffalo and spotted hyena hunt. I am looking forward to seeing some new areas. I have to give credit where it is due, this forum has played a very large role in my choices for my next 2 planned safaris. AH is such a great resource.

I’ve been fortunate to hunt in Namibia on 4 previous occasions but I have decided to try a couple of other countries for my next two trips. I’ll be in RSA in about 6 weeks to hunt with Bayly&Sipple safari company and then I’ll be in Zim in 2024 for a buffalo and spotted hyena hunt. I am looking forward to seeing some new areas. I have to give credit where it is due, this forum has played a very large role in my choices for my next 2 planned safaris. AH is such a great resource.

My first five safaris were in five different countries. I really like exploring new areas.

Hello, is there anyone from around Hwange National Park or Gwayi? I would like to ask what kind of weather can I expect there at the end of March. Because of clothes and shoes. Thank you.

I never thought I would be able to say this, but the govt is doing better and things are on the up. Several major inter-city road works are in progress, some suburban roads in Harare are being re-surfaced, power availability in much better. Credit where it is due.
Good to know!

Hello, is there anyone from around Hwange National Park or Gwayi? I would like to ask what kind of weather can I expect there at the end of March. Because of clothes and shoes. Thank you.

I was hunting / tourist in that area at the beginning of March last year. Temperatures were pleasant, 20-30 deg C most days, and we had only two light rain showers in two weeks. I brought a water repellent jacket that I seldom wore, and shoes that were comfortable to walk in but not waterproof. Your PH could advise better than me, but I would not be very concerned. Be prepared for thorn bushes, they are more formidable than the weather!

Aiming for a tourist (maybe hunt - a short hunt) visit to Zim sometime in May or June... can't wait to go back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesterDero

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double