Why is it called a 404 Jeffery?

Rick Hill

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello,

New to your forum. Have a left handed Montana Rifle Company Safari Supreme in 404 Jeffery. It seems a rather unappreciated but versatile caliber with lower amounts of recoil. Question - Why is a .423 called a 404? Was it because it was a 40 caliber developed in 1904 and released in 1905? Did some one just screw up? There should be a reason?

Rick

Rick, Welcome to AH!

I have no idea but surely someone in this site can give you the answer. I look forward to learning something as well

it was the style of the time, I believe it was because the 303 was popular in Africa so they figured it would sell better as the 404. same reason the 505 Gibbs exists except they actually use a .505" bullet.

-matt

Welcome to AH sir!

Rick, Welcome to AH.

You mention one of the two possibilities that I have heard of and possibly the one I tend to lean toward. The other reason I have heard is .40 caliber with four down. Since Jeffery didn't have access to a magnum Mauser for about five more years, I am not sure if I agree with that explanation. I have a 404J made in 1907 with a standard action and it only holds three down.

Never heard of Matt's explanation before but it certainly sounds plausible as well.

Rick, Welcome to AH.

You mention one of the two possibilities that I have heard of and possibly the one I tend to lean toward. The other reason I have heard is .40 caliber with four down. Since Jeffery didn't have access to a magnum Mauser for about five more years, I am not sure if I agree with that explanation. I have a 404J made in 1907 with a standard action and it only holds three down.

Never heard of Matt's explanation before but it certainly sounds plausible as well.

And we know your 404J can take care of business!

the reason the 404 Jeffery is called that is because it was intended to be a rimless version of the .450/400 which has a bullet diameter of .404-.405". the better question is: why does the .404 have .423" bullets?

Brits measure the lands - we measure the groove.

That

I have heard that before .
Must say 404 sounds a whole heap better than 423.
"Richard, pass me the 423 lad"
Sounds like asking for a spanner rather than a rifle (n)(y):)
And I like my 318 Westley Richards Accelerated Express a lot better than some Brit .33 :)

I have read that the original drawings called for a .418 bore and so if going by the usual (for them) land diameter, the difference isn't that great. If using the later, more common .423 bore it makes less sense as that is a big difference between the two measurements. I am not convinced the .404 moniker was assigned for any reason other than that it sounded good, because it just does. Finding a definitive answer may be akin to chasing unicorns.

Don't care why, The 404 Jeff is just a great caliber and did the heavy lifting while the few 416's got the press. Shoot it till you war the barrel out and have a great time.

@ AZDAVE

I am over 500 shots down in just over a year.

I reckon at this rate I might actually wear my barrel out at some stage :D

I love my 404!

it was the style of the time, I believe it was because the 303 was popular in Africa so they figured it would sell better as the 404. same reason the 505 Gibbs exists except they actually use a .505" bullet.

-matt

I agree with @matt85 here , the 303 was so popular at the time that they decided on the name 404 , it a marketing decision .

great caliber and a pleasure to shoot , that reminds me I need to post some photos of my refurbished 404Jeff .

o_O

the reason the 404 Jeffery is called that is because it was intended to be a rimless version of the .450/400 which has a bullet diameter of .404-.405".

the 450/400 uses a .410-.411" bullet.

-matt

Why is it called a 404 Jeffery?

I always thought that religious shooters that didn't want to blasphemise shouted Jeeeefffeeeerrryyy !!!!!!! after the first shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,