Why did Winchester skip over the 375 Win Mag and 416 Win Mag?

I guess, maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor too. I don't see much use for the Ruger 416, a Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag seems like a better though more expensive choice. I think the Ruger 375 in a synthetic/stainless rifle under $1000 is a steal.

Hi WAB,
You say your rifle is a custom M70 375 SS post 64.
I never saw, or heard about it, a post 64 M70 375 H&H in its original configuration with a 5 rounds magazine! Are you sure the magazine of your rifle is the original one?
Thank you.

CF

There really hasn't been a new cartridge, except some bench rest specifc cartridges, since the 7mm Rem Mag was introduced. They've all been hype and in most cases the earlier cartridges still out perform them. (270 Weatherby Mag vs 27- WSM etc.).
Generally agree, but a true short mag cartridge (featuring that short, fat cartridge-is SUPER accurate-that's the idea-stealing the PPC (NON-corporate invention that crushed benchrest shooting!) You can have a much shorter, lighter mtn rifle for sheep/goats/deer/etc at long range. Do you own a WSM or RSAUM et. al.? I can take all the above at <900 yds w/ my WSM (I can hit it beyond that, but it won't be a clean kill due to decreased E.) lol I was so certain of my 264 WSM, long ago I handed it off to my 11, 12, 14 y/o (i forget) son, and within 15 seconds of dropping mine, he too took one at 430 yds straight up a cliff. There are some advantages to the much shorter rounds that pack the same (or more) punch! My WSM is faster than Rem Mags and the newest (duplicative as you say) 26 Nos. I laugh when most new rounds come out..."Hey Hon...Another flavor Dorito is in the stores!!!" LMAO Some, not most, are better for specific purposes (not to mention you don't have to carry all that gun around when older!) Bansner makes <6lb mag guns that shoot like benchrest rifles to 1,000 yds w/ 23" barrels and 1"+ shorter receivers. That is something to behold!!! Again, I do agree that most are nothing. LOL Esp. the Needmore! Wby....I love Uncle Roy's company...although they waited for many others to standardize their rounds as wildcats in one form or another....338 A-Sq became 338-378 Wby, 6.5-300 Wby was a 3,000 yd benchrest shooter for years prior to Wby actually standardizing it...But, they ARE shooters and their guns are actually fine semi-custom shooters ready to go to work! As you suggest, even Uncle Roy did all that good work way back when, but Wby has release a couple of winners within the last few years. Some are great. Most are meager. Agreed on that. Shorter action guns (and cartridges) make profits. Wby almost never skipped that aspect, though they offered several rounds that made the Needmore look as stupid as it is! :p 6.5 Creedmore-the Bud Light of cartridges. Sorry if anyone was offended! I'm ok with it. It may be an attractive alternative to your 10-12 y/o kid or petite wife shooting a 30-30. I get that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobongda247cc

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]