Why Buy A Blaser K95?

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I’ve always been somewhat intrigued by the looks of the Blaser K95, but until I got to handle one at SCI this year, I didn’t know how much I’d like them. Turns out I REALLY like them. And now I find myself talking myself into one. Not sure what caliber I’d start off with, but I’m thinking about a light caliber such as 7x57 or something similar, then adding a 9.3x74r in the future. For those of you who own one, what is your opinion?

7x65r is a very classic caliber for this. But a 308 will be fine as well.

They are light weapons, if you go for a heavier caliber, maybe consider a kickstop.

Rimmed cases are easier to remove from the chamber though, more room to hook your fingernail behind.

Kipplaufs are great. Accuracy is toplevel. If you have the opportunity, don't hesitate any longer.

Sigh. Americans demanding that classic European kipplauf or other break action rifles be chambered in rimless cartridges like the 7x57 when the almost identical but proper 7x57R are commonly available ( not at Walmart! ) Why buy a classic rifle and handicap it with your choice of ammunition? It's beyond silly, and not fitting. Rimmed cartridges exist for a good reason. Do a little research.

Toby, Sounds like we are on a similar path. I became intrigued with the K95 earlier this year and decided on 308 as an all-around cartridge. A rimmed cartridge would be easier to remove but a quick gun search at the time didn’t bring any up I was willing to pay. Especially for for a rifle I didn’t know if I was going to like once out in the field.

The 308 removes easily enough, my thought was this is a single shot and it’s up to me the rifleman to ensure placement of the shot.

As soon as I opened the Blaser case at the gun counter, I drew a crowd as many have never seen a K95. Fit and finish are superb all around and the trigger is excellent.

I had some old reloads, more than 25 years old, my Father had put together for a Savage Model 99 using RL15 and 150gr Partitions. I also had an old old box of Remington 150gr round nose core loks that may have been older than the reloads. Off to the range after installing a Leica scope in the Blaser saddle mount and a few shots later the scope was dialed in and I sent two rounds down range, both touching 1.5inches high and clocking 2800 fps with the Garmin, perfect! The Remington 150 gr rounds were anemic at 2490fps and didn’t group well. The light K95 handled the recoil surprisingly well.

Was able to hunt the last few days of Alabama deer with the rifle but couldn’t find a buck old enough for my liking, and the chest freezer was already plum full.

I have no qualms putting a ding or scratch hauling it up into a climber and hunted with it in the rain.

IMG_9576.jpeg

Good luck on your decision, I’m thinking hard about gettting a second barrel in 6XC. From the information I can find, it’s the only 6mm Blaser chambering with a fast enough twist, 1-8, to launch the heavier high BC bullets.

The K95 is going to remain and will be in the field as much as possible!

I had the Merkel K5 earlier which is similar to the K95, the big problem with both of them in my opinion is that the lock of the rifles are the so called Franz Jäger Kippblockverschluß. Which while very strong also has the added sideeffect of making the brass somewhat hard to take out due to the massive overhang from the barrel where the kippblock locks. I guess that is why the recommendation for rimmed cartridges are often heard in conjunction with the K95.

This picture shows the overhang of a similar rifle:
K77 (7).JPG

Sigh. Americans demanding that classic European kipplauf or other break action rifles be chambered in rimless cartridges like the 7x57 when the almost identical but proper 7x57R are commonly available ( not at Walmart! ) Why buy a classic rifle and handicap it with your choice of ammunition? It's beyond silly, and not fitting. Rimmed cartridges exist for a good reason. Do a little research.
I had the Merkel K5 earlier which is similar to the K95, the big problem with both of them in my opinion is that the lock of the rifles are the so called Franz Jäger Kippblockverschluß. Which while very strong also has the added sideeffect of making the brass somewhat hard to take out due to the massive overhang from the barrel where the kippblock locks. I guess that is why the recommendation for rimmed cartridges are often heard in conjunction with the K95.

Good insights. I will pile on and say that in my D99 uses the same lockup arrangement and it is chambered in 6.5x55 for the top barrel. Getting the fired cartridge out is near impossible with gloved hands, better to use the bullet of the next cartridge in the extractor groove and fling it out. With a rimmed cartridge you can more easily snag the rim with a gloved finger, or simply dump out using gravity. You can't dump out a rimless cartridge because of the spring-loaded extractor holding it in place. I knew all this when I bought the gun but got it for such a discount (less than another barrel set costs now) that I live with it.

There is something special about single shots, be they modern or from past centuries. I have shot many of the ruger #1's over the years. The Luxus intrigued me a few years ago but never pulled the trigger on acquiring one. I concur with @IvW on the 7x65R as a classic round for this rifle. The tip up kipplauf style of rifle is much better served by a rimmed case much like a double rifle.

I used my outfitters on my Spanish Ibex hunt last year. It was chambered in 7 mag. It was a really light, handy rifle for the mountains. I think that application is where it really shines

What’s not to like, the K95 is sleek, beautiful, sexy, relatively light and just feels good in your hands. It’s action is neither to stiff nor loose and it is easy to take down. I purchased a used one around a year ago chamberd in 6.5x55. It has become my favorite rifle and I find the 6.5x55 to be a pleasant and very accurate chambering. My favorite caliber is the 8x57is so I have recently ordered another barrel chamberd in 8x57isr. My only fear is that this rifle may cause most of my other rifles to become closet queens.

I’ve long been a single shot fan: #1’s, Encores, Contenders…. But the K95 is an exquisite firearm. I handled one and almost drooled on it.

I can get a 6.5x55 but want a 7x65R......these K95 Kipplaufs are brilliant.....the ultimate mountain rifle......could not imagine a better rifle for hunting Mountain reedbuck, vaalrhebuck, klipspringer, springbuck, blesbuck etc. Over ranges to 300m.....

Nr 1's are great but I see them as a rifle for bush not berg.....a Nr. 1 in 450 No 2 NE would be a dandy.....

Toby, we all know you wont be happy with small caliber rifle just get the 9.3x74r and keep living the big bore dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbiGob

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double