Exciting, good luck

I just got my invitation letter for the end of May
My group and I have just rounded up all our paperwork for the JNB gun hustle. I think we are all set.

We know how great those seats are!
Oh man Charlie did we have a great time together! What great memories. I am powerless against hunting Zim. It is on my calendar for the foreseeable future!

Not flying Qatar this year. Flying BA twice this year. Once for vacation ( B class) and once for hunting in Croatia & Slovenia (Premium Eco). Next year most likely Qatar to JRO.
I'd love to hear about the European hunts.

Phil - how have you found Airlink to transit with firearms? Starting to think about travel options to the Save next year. My wife is likely making the trip with me (her first trip). I usually take two rifles, but heard Airlink had an issue with that when I booked my 2023 trip with TWG (post-Patrick.....never again).
Airlink is very good and as far as the "in the air product" are one of the best airlines today. The hiccup is on check in. as with all African airports, no ticket agents are able to take payments. You have to take the extra step of after checking in going to pay the baggage fees and rifle fees. After that all is good!
As for TWG they are basically gone. They farmed the business out to a call center essentially with no real agents. Patrick Wright started his own agency pwptravel.com and is doing a great job as always.

Big fan of Qatar. First trip to S. Africa was using BA and only benefit to that was that it was ridiculously low $3400 roundtrip from US to JNB for First Class (and then received something like $800 back for being downgraded to Biz on one leg and a second leg having a >6 hours delay). On return flight they had to remove a flight attendant who was ill and then unsurprisingly I had COVID a day or so after returning home. Not a fan of BA at all. And though I didn't end up taking a rifle with me, they had noted my ticket as travelling with a rifle so it was a hassle each time through London. Would have been even worse if I actually had a rifle.

Flew Qatar last year and it was 1000% better. Easy travel with a rifle. Great onboard service. Q Suite only from US to DOH though, had older biz class from DOH-JNB. Still, looking forward to two hunts this year both flying on Qatar. One in June and one in September.
pity about BA.
This year it looks like all DOH-JNB flights are Qsuite. It is crazy that they have not retrofitted all their planes yet.

I am already planning my August 2025 Safari to Chewore South with D&Y. I am hoping to find a deal like I did this year but with direct flights to HRE skipping JNB all together.
I was quite fortunate that I was able to get a good deal on AA for my Spain trip later this year by using Google flight alerts. Finally something worked for me!

pity about BA.
This year it looks like all DOH-JNB flights are Qsuite. It is crazy that they have not retrofitted all their planes yet.
Yes they are however it’s not a very long flight like JFK to Doha.

pity about BA.
Your post made me look again. For my flights in June and September it's non-QSuite between DOH & JNB. Did you mean to say it looks like all DOH-JNB flights are not QSuite?

The flights are on an A350 and have seats in 1-2-1 config, but not in QSuites setup. Probably this setup on them:
1713593531247.png

@Philip Glass I am headed to Cameroon in February. What airline did you fly there a few years ago? I am wondering what the options are?

Your post made me look again. For my flights in June and September it's non-QSuite between DOH & JNB. Did you mean to say it looks like all DOH-JNB flights are not QSuite?

The flights are on an A350 and have seats in 1-2-1 config, but not in QSuites setup. Probably this setup on them:
View attachment 600340
Ok that is news to me. I was seeing both planes going to JNB being QSuite when I was researching this months ago. It is true that Qatar has something like 5 different plane configurations and they have been very slow to get Qsuite on all of them. Bummer!
My flights ,732 (A350-1000) & 1363 (A350-900), are both showing Qsuite as of now.

@Philip Glass I am headed to Cameroon in February. What airline did you fly there a few years ago? I am wondering what the options are?
I flew United Midland to Houston and then Air France Houston to Paris to Douala. I flew premium economy which was ok but I was very fortunate to be able to upgrade to business on one leg outbound to CDG. That was amazing!

Must be nice to get these cheap deals for business Class.Best they have now is $6800 for same route in September. Tracking on Google flights in hopes of snagging a deal. Currently have delta premium select bulk head but it’s a far cry from business.

Ok that is news to me. I was seeing both planes going to JNB being QSuite when I was researching this months ago. It is true that Qatar has something like 5 different plane configurations and they have been very slow to get Qsuite on all of them. Bummer!
My flights ,732 (A350-1000) & 1363 (A350-900), are both showing Qsuite as of now.
Last September when I went to Zambia, the Qatar flight from DOA to JNB was the old Business class seat, and thats what showed on my Itinerary . My return from JNB was suppose with be on a Qsuite as shown on my Itinerary. While hunting I received a message that my return flight from JNB was cancelled, then another that I had been rescheduled to another flight. Same flight times, same number, but no Qsuite, regular business class. One would think they could have just sent a notice of change of equipment and seat.

I flew United Midland to Houston and then Air France Houston to Paris to Douala. I flew premium economy which was ok but I was very fortunate to be able to upgrade to business on one leg outbound to CDG. That was amazing!
Okay thanks!

Wife and I just flew United Polaris Business from Newark to Italy and back and were pleasantly surprised by the cubicle seating and lay flat seats. Not quite QSuite but darn close. Also the best meals I’ve ever had on any US carrier. FYI.

Must be nice to get these cheap deals for business Class.Best they have now is $6800 for same route in September. Tracking on Google flights in hopes of snagging a deal. Currently have delta premium select bulk head but it’s a far cry from business.
I haven't been able to find any deals since 2021. For me now its more of staying on top of finding Qatar flights bookable with miles. Been lucky with that so far but I'm sure luck will run out soon (or miles will)

I had Patrick Wright find me this current deal which was half price But went through JNB.

I just had my first big success with Google flight alerts. I was working on our Spain trip for December on AA (no guns). I was waiting and watching to try to use Aadvantage miles to buy two business class tickets SJT-DFW-MAD but it was not happening. They have devalued the miles so much and limited award availability I gave up. I'll just use miles for domestic. After much anxiety and discussions with Patrick I set the Google flight alert for my dates. Business R/T was running $4800 and I was not buying. then the alert came through for $3600 and I jumped on it. Finally something worked for me!

Last September when I went to Zambia, the Qatar flight from DOA to JNB was the old Business class seat, and thats what showed on my Itinerary . My return from JNB was suppose with be on a Qsuite as shown on my Itinerary. While hunting I received a message that my return flight from JNB was cancelled, then another that I had been rescheduled to another flight. Same flight times, same number, but no Qsuite, regular business class. One would think they could have just sent a notice of change of equipment and seat.
I've realized why here are so many reports of these A350's with the old business class Flying now as opposed to a couple years ago. These were returned to service recently after the trouble with Airbus and the paint coming off. All that was resolved and they let all that time go by and not upgrade those planes!

I was in Delta Premium Select bulkhead last year and it was good. I paid $2800. I would not pay a lot more and it is just Ok

Didn’t realize Patrick had started his own business. Was talking to TWG. I’ll call him tomorrow. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.