Which species draws you back to Africa?

Buffalo, Buffalo and oh yeah Buffalo
I also like to go after Springbok with large or odd horns. Plus I like Springbok Carpaccio!

Springbok carpaccio sounds good! You know what I miss? Buffalo oxtail stew! Man that's good stuff.

Buffalo and a hyena are taking me back this summer. The haunting calls of hyena are just one of those sounds that has to be heard in person to be fully appreciated. That happened on my last trip to Uganda but was not able to hunt them. But after hearing them, I knew I had to give that a go next trip.

I have really gotten more respect for hyenas after being around them more. The idea that they are cowardly is very incorrect! They are remarkable alpha predators and are built like tanks. I took one that weighed around 200 lbs.

That reminds me of another species that doesn’t get enough respect…a troop of big baboons. The big dogs are fierce and 2 or 3 can shred a leopard.

The top thing that keeps drawing me back is hunting new areas. The next is species I have not hunted.

Wow…hope you get a big one!

I‘m travelling for the forth time next October in order to get an Eland. Three times without success (2x Zim, 1x RSA), now hoping to finally get one!

If I were specifically after eland I’d be heading to the Otavi area of Namibia, or one of the large properties in the Kalahari in Botswana.

If I were specifically after eland I’d be heading to the Otavi area of Namibia, or one of the large properties in the Kalahari in Botswana.
Great advice. Stack the odds in your favor.

Reactions: WAB
My first DG hunt was this past August in the Save...Buff and Cow Ele. While I worked harder for the buff, my heart is calling for a trophy bull Ele hunt now.

Need to finalize plans for that in '25 or go for the Hippo-Croc 1,2 punch...

Sometimes I make decisions of picking this or that by saying what if I only have time/resources to do one of them...which one pulls the hardest on me? Often you can go back and do the other thing later but that's how I ended up hunting ele on my first safari. Now every trip is DG but the principle is the same...what if I could only make one more trip? That really narrows things down for me.

It's great hearing all of these answers to my topic. Good stuff.

I‘m travelling for the forth time next October in order to get an Eland. Three times without success (2x Zim, 1x RSA), now hoping to finally get one!
I hope you get one, but If you are unsuccessful this time look into waterberg park in Namibia. It’s by far the best area to hunt eland I’ve seen.

Reactions: WAB
What's your area and target list for Sept? Sept is getting hot but I'm going for end of Oct next year!

East cape with John x safaris. My son is hunting buff roan springbuck and lechwe and I will be after black wildebeest, bushbuck, lechwe and if I get those buff.

I enjoyed talking to John X at DSC. Good people.

I hope you get one, but If you are unsuccessful this time look into waterberg park in Namibia. It’s by far the best area to hunt eland I’ve seen.

And you couldn’t do better than Jamie as an outfitter/PH.

Thanks for that advice. Namibia is high on my list for 2025. Or Botswana or Zambia… so much to hunt in Africa!

So we have 7 pages on this subject..it seems that DG with the extra exitement of added potential danger is what draw many of us to it..me included..

I have been privileged to hunt ele under rather hairy circumstances and my take on it is that I will continue hunting DG as long as my health and economy allow..

Sunny beaches are, well, just boring.. :sleep:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MerriPrieu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.