Which species draws you back to Africa?

I’m booked for a non-trophy/non exportable bull in 2025 in Namibia. I am looking forward to this hunt and experience. I’m sure it will be an incredible rush.
first elephant is in the Caprivi? Nice.

Buffalo and Elephant. Bull Elephant is on top of my list for upcoming hunts.
Already planned or not yet? Curious where you are going. I think my next ele will be in Matetsi for non-trophy but my PH is lobbying for Gona Reh Zou in the future. He wants to swing for the fence but the cost makes my eyes water.

I´ve hunted 47 animals in RSA, of 29 different species. My last hunt (report still to be written), was such a disappointment, that I think this has been my last.
You've seen a LOT of RSA. What about switching to Zim for a buff, ele or hippo hunt? Don't end on a bad note.

Tracking hunts are awesome in their own way, but I love glassing and spot and stalk. So this puts kudu at the top of my list. 11 great bulls so far taken in a variety of areas and habitats, from the deserts to the mountains, and I could do it all day every day without complaint. Tough hiking in the early mornings to find the perfect glassing spot, then sitting quietly to pick apart the terrain while watching and listening to Africa wake up. I also feel that I can contribute more to the success of the hunt when glassing versus tracking. It's a real pleasure once you've developed your glassing skills to make a tough spot that leads to success. I once spotted what turned out to be a real whopper of a kudu bull in dense cover at 500 yds just by noticing in the shadows the barely visible white chevron on his face through a small hole in the bush. Making that spot is one of my favorite hunting memories, and we didn't even get him that day.

I get what you're saying and agree that I'm a lot better at glassing than tracking but I'm learning! One of my fav hunts is Coues deer, which is all about the spotting/glassing. I haven't done a hunt focused on that in Africa yet. I think the mountain kudu or mountain nyala hunts are a lot like that.

East - a Rowland Ward size Buffalo, Thomson’s , Grant’s, Lesser Kudu (RW size), Gerenuk & Zebra (no shadow)

Southern - Nyala & another Gemsbok

Tracking hunts are awesome in their own way, but I love glassing and spot and stalk. So this puts kudu at the top of my list. 11 great bulls so far taken in a variety of areas and habitats, from the deserts to the mountains, and I could do it all day every day without complaint. Tough hiking in the early mornings to find the perfect glassing spot, then sitting quietly to pick apart the terrain while watching and listening to Africa wake up. I also feel that I can contribute more to the success of the hunt when glassing versus tracking. It's a real pleasure once you've developed your glassing skills to make a tough spot that leads to success. I once spotted what turned out to be a real whopper of a kudu bull in dense cover at 500 yds just by noticing in the shadows the barely visible white chevron on his face through a small hole in the bush. Making that spot is one of my favorite hunting memories, and we didn't even get him that day.
11 great kudu bulls is a great track record! They are a beautiful, intelligent animal for sure. I have NO problem believing someone is addicted to kudu.

East - a Rowland Ward size Buffalo, Thomson’s , Grant’s, Lesser Kudu (RW size), Gerenuk & Zebra (no shadow)

Southern - Nyala & another Gemsbok
Sounds like Massailand to me for your eastern species!

Last edited:
There are no wrong answers of course and buffalo are fantastic but…elephant are another level. You can feel it in the trackers and the PHs…it’s a heavier feeling…more intense. I love it.
I agree, no wrong answers on what a persons draw to Africa is, but like you, I love elephant hunting. have taken 3, have 2 more elephant hunts booked. I can clearly recall the intensity on my tuskless hunt, nothing really beats being around a herd of elephant and trying to sort out a shootable tuskless.

My first was a tuskless and I wouldn't trade that memory of hunting them in the hills of Makuti for anything. It was a hard hunt and we earned that tuskless after a week in the mountains. I will never forget seeing elephant up high on the hills where you would find elk back home.

What are your next 2 booked? I've got buff, lion and croc booked next year in 2 hunts but back to ele after that in '25.

My first was a tuskless and I wouldn't trade that memory of hunting them in the hills of Makuti for anything. It was a hard hunt and we earned that tuskless after a week in the mountains. I will never forget seeing elephant up high on the hills where you would find elk back home.

What are your next 2 booked? I've got buff, lion and croc booked next year in 2 hunts but back to ele after that in '25.
Do tell.

Simple, many are a draw for me because they are not native here and there is there. Biggest hunting draw always- tracking eland with San trackers in the gray sand of the Kalahari. Side draw- bird watching, bird shooting, fishing, visiting with locals, sight seeing and photography. Least or zero hunting draw for me- ostrich, giraffe, hippo, rhino, crocs, tiny PG, warthog/swine, elephant, cats, and any of the common nocturnal oddities.

I'll be in Uganda (2024) for 2 buffalo this March, Next April (2025) for bull elephant in Zimbabwe, then fall of 2025 I will be doing tuskless/buffalo with Dalton and York. Just last week I gave a 5 day sable hunt to a buddy of mine who bought the hunt with me last year at an SCI dinner, now he can take his 12 year old son. This opens the door for me to take a hunt this September. I've never done a darted rhino, is that any fun? Seems like an intense interaction by getting within 20-30 yards away.

I have done a good amount of rhino darting but haven't written it up here. I highly recommend finding a good setup and giving it a try. I will never kill one but have darted 8x. Hit me on PM if you would like a recommendation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greattemple

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.