Which is the “Best” African hunting TV shows

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I watched “This is Africa” earlier this AM.

IMHO it is head and shoulders above all others in all things that matter. Best story telling. Andy does a phenomenal job editing. It builds an excitement on the hunt to the culmination.

Many other shows jump around from hunter to hunter. Animal to animal and it’s hard to get excited at the end of the show. Poor story telling , videography and leaves a lot to be desired.

Hornady Dark and Dangerous is probably the opposite end of the spectrum. The story Jumps around and by the end of the show there’s a split second shot of the kill with no context.
If they even show the kill, usually you have to watch eight shows to see the target animal being killed.

Tracks across Africa is OK. but a lot more BS and not as good at building the excitement as TIA

Would agree that TIA is the best on tv right now. I especially enjoy the footage of “other stuff” such as the cobra hunting a lizard around camp or a cool beetle or other local interests.
I agree with your statements but glad hornady still sponsors a show, many have gone by the wayside. There are a couple that are so advertisement strong that I don’t watch them at all, preferring to find something on YouTube to watch instead.

I keep forgetting the name but Beretta sponsored a Safari hunting show hosted by Jeff Rann a few years ago. I really liked it.

Hardwood campfire with some cold ones......

I like everything Andy Buchanan does. I like African Sportsman Channel with Stefan Fouche because they spend time talking about the guns and ammo they're using. As much as I'm not a fan of Hornady, I like their "Dark and Dangerous" series too.

I’ve really lost interest in most hunting TV shows, too much acting for the camera. I really think this YouTube channel makes the best hunting videos currently. The last African video he put up was great, very professionally done and tells a good story.

I guided quite a few hotshot TV hunters Canadian and American up to a point where I flatly refused to do so.....irrespective of daily rate.....
TIA is probaly the best as it it is no bullshit and includes the bad times of wounding following up and sometimes lost......

Andy Buchanan with TIA is currently my favorite and his formula of show casing different areas and new PH’s/ Outfitters keeps the show fresh. It’s not the same old guy shooting the same old buff in the same old areas. He’s also a supper nice guy , humble and hard working.

I find it difficult to get excited about any of the hunting shows. I do watch them from time to time, but am generally disappointed when I do watch anything.

I did enjoy watching the DVDs made by Mark Buchanan under the Big Bore Productions banner - probably the best known of those is "Death by Double Rifle". Most of his DVDs were worth watching, although "Death in the Arctic" was a bit of a snooze fest because it accurately portrayed a polar bear hunt (I guess - I have never done one) with a lot of waiting around surrounded by miles of snow, or hours of sitting in a sled. I was looking forward to what would have been his last couple of DVDs, but they were never released. From what I hear from people who know him, he just got bored with it and gave it up.

TIA
I used to love Under Wild Skies Africa when the host would hunt with some cool old gun.

The overbearing music on just about all the shows (even the very few I generally like) causes me to watch them muted most of the time.

TIA
I used to love Under Wild Skies Africa when the host would hunt with some cool old gun.

The overbearing music on just about all the shows (even the very few I generally like) causes me to watch them muted most of the time.
I agree with the music- half the time it's like they are going into battle or recreating epics of the gods. I can't stand that. This is part of why I like African Sun Productions. While they still have a bit of that in some of their stuff, many of them feature much more appropriate music that isn't blasted over the sounds of the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.