Which Ghost Ring for Winchester Model 70?

Andrew62

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Cameroon, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia.
My father passed away 2 months ago, he and I had hunted Africa a number of times, Alaska, Canada, etc. I inherited his Winchester Model 70 .375H&H. I would like to fit this rifle with a ghost ring and front blade to take to Africa this fall for a cull giraffe/zebra hunt. He previously had the front site removed and a muzzle brake installed, I will have a gunsmith cut the muzzlebrake off and recrown the barrel. Does anyone here have a recommendation for me for a ghost ring and front blade? Should I consider a fiber optic front site? Going forward, I probably won't use this rifle again as I really like my Kimber .375H&H way better, but for sentimental reasons I want to take this hunt with me this fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Andrew

My father passed away 2 months ago, he and I had hunted Africa a number of times, Alaska, Canada, etc. I inherited his Winchester Model 70 .375H&H. I would like to fit this rifle with a ghost ring and front blade to take to Africa this fall for a cull giraffe/zebra hunt. He previously had the front site removed and a muzzle brake installed, I will have a gunsmith cut the muzzlebrake off and recrown the barrel. Does anyone here have a recommendation for me for a ghost ring and front blade? Should I consider a fiber optic front site? Going forward, I probably won't use this rifle again as I really like my Kimber .375H&H way better, but for sentimental reasons I want to take this hunt with me this fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Andrew
New England Custom Gun Service makes some very nice ghost ring sights and front sights. That is where I would look.

For the front sight I'd recommend going with the post front sight rather than the fiber optic. and like the other gent has already said, NECG has a great ghost ring rear and post front sight.

Talley makes a QD peep sight that fits the Talley base. Pair that with a fine front bead and you are good to go. With the Talley bases on you could mount a scope for some load development first then take it off for the hunt. Good luck

New England Custom Gun Service makes some very nice ghost ring sights and front sights. That is where I would look.
Maybe someone can fill me in but I don’t think NECG actually makes anything as far as parts go. I think everything in that vein is imported Recknagel stuff

Maybe someone can fill me in but I don’t think NECG actually makes anything as far as parts go. I think everything in that vein is imported Recknagel stuff

My .375 and 458 Lott have banded
Front sights with flip up ivory beads from NECG. I was under the impression that they made them but I could be wrong.

My .375 and 458 Lott have banded
Front sights with flip up ivory beads from NECG. I was under the impression that they made them but I could be wrong.
I was looking at their site again and it looks like they do make peep sights or they have someone make them for them but it looks like all(?) their express sights and front sights etc.. may be Recknagel. It would be interesting to know what all they actually make. Regardless of who makes the stuff they sell it all looks top notch

Last edited:
Talley makes a QD peep sight that fits the Talley base. Pair that with a fine front bead and you are good to go. With the Talley bases on you could mount a scope for some load development first then take it off for the hunt. Good luck

These sights are excellent, I have one on a REM 700 action. That action has been trued and is far from being an off the shelf product.

I also bought a set of those bases/peep sets for a Win Model 70. That rifle was stock standard off the shelf. The action face was not square and there was no way that I could get the sights to line up unless I had some major work done.

Just saying, the base/peep sight is a great idea but….depending upon the rifle, may need a bit of mucking around to make it work .

I like a peep/ghost ring that attaches to the bolt because it never comes off the rifle - it's ready as soon as you pull the scope off - not fiddling with extra bits that could become lost or take time to attach.

John McLaughlin makes these sights for Rigby and offer them for sale on his website...

McLaughlin Aperture sights

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 7.56.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 7.56.50 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 45
This guy makes the cocking piece sights for Rigby

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 2.44.27 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 2.44.27 PM Large.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 2.44.28 PM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 2.44.28 PM Large.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.05 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.05 AM Large.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.07 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.07 AM Large.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.09 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.09 AM Large.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.11 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.11 AM Large.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.13 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.01.13 AM Large.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 43
John McLaughlin, maker of these sights, is an excellent metal smith. He built a beautiful Ruger No. 1 for me and is also finishing my M70 .375 H&H right now. Delightful guy and easy to work with as well.

Andrew I’d recommend you reach out to Andy Larson at Skinner Sights.

Sidebar……I’ll be reaching out to you next week.

I’ve got the Williams fire sight ghost ring on my M98 416 Taylor. Super fast… extremely easy to pick up with the contrasting fiber (green dots on the ghost ring and red dot on the front blade)…

They’re aluminum, not steel, but have stood up to the 416 with no problem..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.03 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.04 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.04 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.25 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 7.21.26 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConnorLeib

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani