Which animals to hunt in Limpopo and which ones to take in different areas?

Deuce

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Canada(Ontario and Quebec), USA (MI, OH, MT, CO)
I have a trip scheduled for Limpopo in May of 2024. I have already been there once and have scheduled my return visit with the the same outfitter, but have noticed much cheaper pricing on plains game animals in the Cape area.

Does that correlate to lower quality, different availability (guessing it could be both) and does one offer better trophy potential on some species verses the other?
I have already taken Kudu, Waterbuck, Gembok and Blue Wildebeest, so those are off the table this trip.

What animals should I concentrate on while I am there as I may not return a 3rd time and which ones should I save for another trip down the road in a different area?

I personally like the eastern cape a lot better than Limpopo. It’s much less commercialized and more larger properties. The only real difference in trophy quality I see is kudu and warthogs. Limpopo has southern greater kudu where 50”+ is a normal trophy. A true eastern cape kudu will only be 40”+ and slightly different coloration, many have had southern greater kudu genetics added though. Warthog are generally much bigger tusks in Limpopo. I think the biggest reason for higher prices in Limpopo is proximity to Johannesburg. This creates a larger local market and it’s a lot easier to get hunters to come from USA when there are no extra flights in country.
For your Limpopo hunt, I’d only focus on native species. Eland, bushbuck, warthog, bushpig, zebra, impala maybe sable or another kudu. Save black wildebeest, springbok, blesbok for a trip to Karoo or Free State where they are native. Eland done properly is better than a Cape buffalo hunt to me.

I have a trip scheduled for Limpopo in May of 2024. I have already been there once and have scheduled my return visit with the the same outfitter, but have noticed much cheaper pricing on plains game animals in the Cape area.

Does that correlate to lower quality, different availability (guessing it could be both) and does one offer better trophy potential on some species verses the other?
I have already taken Kudu, Waterbuck, Gembok and Blue Wildebeest, so those are off the table this trip.

What animals should I concentrate on while I am there as I may not return a 3rd time and which ones should I save for another trip down the road in a different area?
I think your question would be easier to answer if you were asking about native species in their native environment. But you are hunting a game ranch where lots of animals not necessarily native to the Limpopo are on the trophy list.

For instance, you have taken common waterbuck and oryx. Neither is really native to the Limpopo. So both are managed species on the property you hunted. I assume, for instance, your outfitter can offer a sable. You can travel to the Caprivi, Mozambique, or Zambia and hunt such an animal in its native environment, or you can hunt it as a managed species in the Limpopo.

If your question is about what fenced property to hunt, whether the Limpopo or anywhere else, it is really about species management and quality of the hunt (and perhaps cost?) rather than a geographic one.

Eland is a good example. The most challenging way to hunt an eland is to find a bull's track at dawn and try to walk him down. It is the traditional way to hunt one and every bit as demanding as trying to do the same with a buffalo. Obviously, such a hunt needs to be conducted either free range or on a very large property. Opportunities for both are available in Namibia and some areas of the Eastern Cape, but will take some research to do the same in the Limpopo.

One species native to the Limpopo is the greater kudu. They will be larger on average than their East Cape cousins. Unfortunately, most South African outfitters have introduced a tiered trophy cost model for kudu. So your 55 plus inch kudu in the Limpopo may be significantly more expensive than the 40" Eastern Cape bull.

Assuming you are collecting experiences rather than animals, I would urge saving animals like sable, the various Lechwe, springbok for their native environment. A free range oryx hunt in Namibia is an amazing experience.

I think your question would be easier to answer if you were asking about native species in their native environment. But you are hunting a game ranch where lots of animals not necessarily native to the Limpopo are on the trophy list.

For instance, you have taken common waterbuck and oryx. Neither is really native to the Limpopo. So both are managed species on the property you hunted. I assume, for instance, your outfitter can offer a sable. You can travel to the Caprivi, Mozambique, or Zambia and hunt such an animal in its native environment, or you can hunt it as a managed species in the Limpopo.

If your question is about what fenced property to hunt, whether the Limpopo or anywhere else, it is really about species management and quality of the hunt (and perhaps cost?) rather than a geographic one.

Eland is a good example. The most challenging way to hunt an eland is to find a bull's track at dawn and try to walk him down. It is the traditional way to hunt one and every bit as demanding as trying to do the same with a buffalo. Obviously, such a hunt needs to be conducted either free range or on a very large property. Opportunities for both are available in Namibia and some areas of the Eastern Cape, but will take some research to do the same in the Limpopo.

One species native to the Limpopo is the greater kudu. They will be larger on average than their East Cape cousins. Unfortunately, most South African outfitters have introduced a tiered trophy cost model for kudu. So your 55 plus inch kudu in the Limpopo may be significantly more expensive than the 40" Eastern Cape bull.

Assuming you are collecting experiences rather than animals, I would urge saving animals like sable, the various Lechwe, springbok for their native environment. A free range oryx hunt in Namibia is an amazing experience.
I generally agree with everything you wrote, but if it occurs in Kruger park I’m pretty comfortable saying it’s native to at least parts of Limpopo. The largest waterbuck I’ve ever seen have come from Kruger. There are also sable and Nyala in the park. I’ve seen free range nyala while hunting buffalo open with Kruger near Phalaborwa.

If you already have the kudu you really want to do a shoulder mount, then I would look for a big sable as the price of sable has come down significantly in the last five to ten years. Limpopo bushbuck is also a good choice as is eland. Eland is the best meat for meals at the safari camp. Why not buffalo?

I have hunted both the Limpopo and the Eastern Cape twice each. Eastern Cape Kudu will be under 50". Limpopo over 55". Impala in Limpopo can be over 25" Eastern Cape will be under 25". I have seen better Warthog in Eastern Cape. No Civets or Honeybadger in Eastern Cape.

Red Duiker
Sharpe Grysbok
Klipspringer
Giraffe
Lion
Hyenas (spotted and brown)
Genet
Honey badger
So many night hunt
All in Limpopo. They have over 40 huntable species.
Ask @Bossie at Limpopo BIG GAME Safaris

Thanks for the responses.

Part of the reason for my return trip is for Black Wildebeest. It was on the list, but I never got the chance to make the trip to hunt them while there.

My gemsbok although a trophy to me, would not come close to he one’s passed by others in the Kalahari, but it was an animal that was on the wish list for me and I really only thought I would go once, so I took the best representative animal I could find.

Questioning if going back for Black Wildebeest in that area is a mistake and if I should save that for a Cape hunt years down the road (if that ever happens) or just go with it and have fun either way.

It might hard to find Black Wildebeest in Limpopo. Few outfitters have them. You should ask before you travel so arrangements can be done

Part of the reason for my return trip is for Black Wildebeest. It was on the list, but I never got the chance to make the trip to hunt them while there.

My gemsbok although a trophy to me, would not come close to he one’s passed by others in the Kalahari, but it was an animal that was on the wish list for me and I really only thought I would go once, so I took the best representative animal I could find.

Questioning if going back for Black Wildebeest in that area is a mistake and if I should save that for a Cape hunt years down the road (if that ever happens) or just go with it and have fun either way.
Might consider asking if he could arrange part of your hunt in free state. You could hunt a few species there and see a new area, then finish up in Limpopo with a day’s drive.

I am not sure why you keep making references to the Eastern Cape being more expensive. Check out Nick Bowker Hunting!

I am not sure why you keep making references to the Eastern Cape being more expensive. Check out Nick Bowker Hunting!
If I implied that I apologize, but I thought I referenced hunting in Limpopo and have noticed places like Eastern Cape with much cheaper trophy fees for most species. The question I was asking was if with the reduced fees in the Eastern Cape are there animals to look at hunting there verses Limpopo and if so which ones for each area to look at targeting.

What area in Limpopo are you going?

Waterbuck is endemic to Limpopo so is gemsbuck to a specific area north west in Limpopo bordering Botswana.

Have a look at Tsesebe also endemic to Limpopo and quite unique.

Black Wildebeest, blesbuck, bontebok, springbuck, oribi, blue duiker and Suni is species that out of the top of my head is not endemic to Limpopo.

@Red Leg has made great point. His description of eland hunt reminds me well of my last experience.

@Deuce
There are some valid points above.

I will just add. If you want to know native range of certain species you can make a research on IUCN red list web site.
just type the name of respective animal there will be a map with natural distribution and conservation status

Ask if they can get you a Honey Badger permit. And do some night hunts as suggested above.

The eastern cape has more wide open spaces, and there are some large low fenced operations.

I whole heartedly agree on a proper Eland hunt being very challenging, exciting and fulfilling. Tracking and trying to get close to a blue bull can be a lot of work.
I’m looking forward tracking a mature Livingstone Eland next, and getting in close. Go when they are fat and before the rut. When their skin looks like it’s going to pop they are so muscled up

Here is the bull that had our number last year. We were on his trail for longer than I care to admit. And never got a shot.

Hopefully I can get back on his trial again. Or at least one as mature and crafty.
This picture was taken of him from a road after I left.

2c319df8-d234-4a03-b7ff-dafbd6852dd4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, you will not find black wildebeest in Limpopo, I shot mine near Potchefstroom, North West Province

Limpopo for Kudu, warthog, and bushbuck. Ideally, near the river for the bushbuck.
Free State for the black wildebeest, blesbok, springbok.

To me, wild Africa is more meaningful than a more restricted concession. Continuing, an animal native to an area is more meaningful than one that's not. Mathematically: Wild > Fenced and Native > Introduced.

I think to answer your question from my perspective, I work backwards by eliminating animals that would be more meaningful if I hunted in wild, open areas then I would eliminate animals that are not native.

An easy example is that I wouldn't shoot a Grant's Gazelle in Limpopo...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Declan4098

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you